Poorman's tactical pack alpha test

Thread: Poorman's tactical pack alpha test

Members +
    Blog Entries

Poorman's tactical pack alpha test

While kludging some effects for Larry-for the Navion update going on- I fell into a cheap and stupidly simple cfg-based hack for 'rip off the pylon' rockets and missiles.
    They go where you aim them, blow up when they hit. They can be fired at altitude, or as low and slow as 10kts/40ft AGL- helicopter armament. The cfg is easy to tune, and can provide performance options from tumbling napalm cans to glide and LGB's right up to photon torpedo. I also found a way to self destruct the weapons (over Gee) to avoid a CTD problem that arose from the weapons accelerating out of FSX's comfort zone.
    I also finally found a way to produce a para-flare that actually illuminates ground and objects, about 1.5 klicks dia.
    Aaand...some ASW effects need trying out.
    Mostly, I'd like to know if the CTD issue is put down for good before a general release.

Bullpup, Hellfire and Maverick are Chris Skyes objects, with updated attached effects
    DC's and HVAR/navy HVAR are from CFS2 objects- can't recall the author of those off hand.
    Hydra's, Zuni's, NDC's are new models. Droppable objects from saved flight, default effects, otherwise
    effects included, along with custom effects for para-flare and nuclear depth charges.
    See readme for detail notes, tuning and employment.
    Attachment 49227
    Attachment 49228Attachment 49229Attachment 49230Attachment 49231Attachment 49232Attachment 49233Attachment 49234Attachment 49235Attachment 49236Attachment 49237

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    While kludging some effects for Larry-for the Navion update going on- I fell into a cheap and stupidly simple cfg-based hack for 'rip off the pylon' rockets and missiles.
    They go where you aim them, blow up when they hit. They can be fired at altitude, or as low and slow as 10kts/40ft AGL- helicopter armament. The cfg is easy to tune, and can provide performance options from tumbling napalm cans to glide and LGB's right up to photon torpedo. I also found a way to self destruct the weapons (over Gee) to avoid a CTD problem that arose from the weapons accelerating out of FSX's comfort zone.
    I also finally found a way to produce a para-flare that actually illuminates ground and objects, about 1.5 klicks dia.
    Mostly, I'd like to know if the CTD issue is put down for good before a general release.

Bullpup, Hellfire and Maverick are Chris Skyes objects, with updated attached effects
    DC's and HVAR/navy HVAR are from CFS2 objects- can't recall the author of those off hand.
    Hydra's, Zuni's, NDC's are new models. Droppable objects from saved flight, default effects, otherwise
    effects included, along with custom effects for para-flare and nuclear depth charges.
    Nice! I'll try it! Thanks for sharing

Mighty fine Lazarus! Downloaded and will test tonight

Hi chaps - excuse my extreme ignorance, but how do I install this ? PHP is a new file format to me !

Attachment 49227
    Take it you checked for permissions before using the weapons in your modification?

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Hi chaps - excuse my extreme ignorance, but how do I install this ? PHP is a new file format to me !
    Dick,

When you click on the download, for some reason.. it shows a .php extension. Change the option to 'All Files' then type in a name for the file that you can remember and suffix it .zip

Most files added to posts here do that
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Dick,

When you click on the download, for some reason.. it shows a .php extension. Change the option to 'All Files' then type in a name for the file that you can remember and suffix it .zip

Most files added to posts here do that
    ATB
    DaveB
    Thanks Dave. Can't believe I didn't trip over that before. Maybe I didn't rename attachments on download.

Cheers

DB

No.. it had me too first time I downloaded an attachment from here. PHP???... what the hell is that!!!

ATB
    DaveB

Members +
    Blog Entries

More dakka

It works in space.
    Crossing the godzilla threshold, or; Collateral damage!? Ask me if I care about collateral damage. If I leave a giant crater in the middle of some hick burg, you may assume I think it looks better that way!
    Attachment 49397Attachment 49398Attachment 49399Attachment 49400

It works in space.
    Crossing the godzilla threshold, or; Collateral damage!? Ask me if I care about collateral damage. If I leave a giant crater in the middle of some hick burg, you may assume I think it looks better that way!
    Send 'em right to toaster heaven!

Members +
    Blog Entries

Viggen with RB04E

You want to put them in toaster heaven fast, shove a nuke in the bread slot! And, on to other things...
    After putting AS-6's on the MiG-23-almost ready- I had to wang together my other all-time favourite ASUW combo, the AJ-37 and that whopping Swedish tin-can cracker,
    the RB04E ASM. See the readme when adding to your AJ-37 install, you'll have to do some cutting and pasting. Saved flight included. Effects in the test file in the first post this thread. Hope you don't mind, Henk. Haven't heard any grumbles, so I guess this is functioning without causing any CTD's?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...VF0b0JNdVNRMVU

Attachment 49533Attachment 49534Attachment 49535Attachment 49536

I tried it in P3D, and found that the rockets went backwards. But not only that. They arced to the ground and vanished, and did not impact. So I fired a swarm of them for better observation and lo and behold, I saw that they actually were hitting the ground and then continued to race in subsurface close to the ground. They were briefly visible when crossing depressions and even jumped off the top of hills, the whole string of them, in a long arc! Weirdest thing I have ever seen in this sim. I never saw them detonate though.

I think this has something to do with the effect engine in P3D. I seem to remember that the coordinates in some effect parameters were switched or negated, don't remember clearly. The bombs impact and explode though, but also fall in a backward arc. If I have too much time I'll figure it out and report back.

Thanks for your efforts!

Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Mark! So, doesn't work in P3D, good to know for the readme file, saves some grief. I looked at P3D, but, for myself, FSXA still has lot's of life left in it, now that the hardware's caught up with it. At least the bit's 'n pieces may be of some use to tacpack enthusiasts in the LM version.
    Besides, I gave Lockheed's too many cracks at killing me back in the day, didn't particularly want to risk the computer flaming over the button out or grabbing into a deep-stalling in a turn. Having to get out and run away from ones computer 'cos Lockheeds got their fingerprints all over it...that's just bad form!
    They must have changed some other stuff in the physics driver, too, this is just a fiddle with simple object stability co-efficiants. I know that firing these at zero airspeed, they go straight down, some forward motion is required, nose up at zero airspeed, they'll run backwards I guess I'm going to have to get into the simconnect coding and figure that out next. A proper freeware weapons interface would be the...bomb.
    An inch an hour, two feet per day!

Members who have read this thread: 0