Operation Piranha Dodger - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Operation Piranha Dodger

Hello everybody,

We had a very nice flight from SBTU to SBJC, where we landed in the Amazon River not to far from our hotel, Just hope I travel agent didn't forget to book us which has happened in the past. And speaking about him, sometime he give us an flight plan that leave a lot to be desired. Rob went off to Belem Airport to practice some landing in his new ride a D-18 Beechcraft amphibian, evidently, he did OK we all got together had very nice conversation and a great dinner together. Belem is kind of at the head water of the Amazon as it discharges into the Atlantic Ocean. We should be heading off to SNCP here shortly. Oh, by the way, the food and drinks were just great. hehe

Nice flight to SNCP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2017-jun-28-003.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

hehe back again.

What can I say about last nights flight. A couple if things, one: if around the airport there wasn't a bunch of tall trees surrounding the place it sure help if we needed to land there.. Wasn't much water around for landing with the exception of a muddy swamp. Oh well, we are flight 19 so didn't matter which one, Just kidding! We had a lot of rain and wind on this flight just enough to wash the dust off the planes, but the weather did it thing and cleared up just as we arrived at the airport. The trip was IFR, I follow roads. No nav. aids. But we all made it down on the grass runway no dent, no scraps and no errors. hehe See you all later.

We've been having a debate about whose scenery is "right". Kevin contends I land "in the city" or "the jungle... really I land (mostly) on the water...
    SBSL (Sao Luis, Brazil) for example...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SBSL-1.jpg   SBSL-2.jpg   SBSL.PNG   SBSL-3.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

On the road to Parnaiba, Brazil. Eddie the mechanic looks a little green in the back...

Hey there,

We had a nice flight between SNOB to SNWC with the exception of Willy who was having some problems with the D-18 and returned to SNOB. As we approached SNOB we ran into what some of the flight called bump, hehe these were mountains. I climbed up to 5,000 feet just to be careful and as I made the turn back to SNWC there it was a biggie, so maintain the 5,000 until over the bugger and descended to around 3,000 feet. It was flat as a pancake for the rest of the trip. See you all later.

Hey There! so here we are again.

Due to the American Holiday of July 4th, and some major mechanical problems we are still at SNWC. worst thing no Mc Donalds hehe and not much of anything else. With any kind of luck we should be back in the air tonight on our way to SBFZ, now don't ask me where that is. So Long see you later.

Apparently there's some customs agents at SNWC that seem to have taken an extreme interest in my lil ol' Twin Beech, so I'm hanging out at SNOB and will fly on to SBFZ this evening and meet the rest of Flight 19 there.

(Translation: there's something in the SNWC area that keeps crashing FS on me while the flight is loading. But I can get a flight loaded from SNOB which is my plan to catch back up. Good thing the "com radio" still works)

Hello,

Flying SNWC to SBFZ was almost like flying USA Midwest, lots of farms and small communities. I really thought we would see a lot more of the jungle, but there has been a lot slash and burn going on in Brazil in the last few decades. Making room for grazing, don't know if that's good or bad. But any way it was a nice flight.

Ended up flying the Avia into SBFZ (actually a nearby inlet). Great flight even if I was still having some issues.

Hi again,

Wow! we had some terrible weather on the flight between SNUC to SNJO. Most of the flight we were flying around or thru heavy cloud cover. Was getting kind of worried when we started having some heavy ground fog, it is going to be a real pistol trying to find the inlet from the ocean that we were planning on landing on. Well, we all made it and it was a three ring circus as we were trying park. hehe all three planes were heading in a different direction, heck, it is a wonder we didn't run into each other or onto the beach. So long from Flight 19 three ring circus!

Somewhere about 70 miles north of Recife.

Great flight tonight. Just enough trouble brewing to keep things interesting without a mad desire to take up skydiving.

Although it was getting kind of dark trying to find the landing spot

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2017-jul-11-001.jpg   Flt 19-2017-jul-11-003.jpg  

The Avia Pilot's Manual (Metric) Reader's Digest Condensed Cliff's Notes version. Buck 2.98 at Lucky Dog's Thrift Store
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2017-jul-14-002.jpg  

Hey There! Surprise,

We have had a few extra days layover here at SBLP in order for the aircraft get a little TLC service, which is really needed on all of the aircraft. The next part of this junket will be from SBLP to SBOS(?) and then onto SNJK. We still are in the country of Brazil, and man is it big! Take care will catch you again.

Brumado valley approach. Nice change of pace from the murky rivers and lakes.

Hi there!

Just a few photos from the last few nights of flight. Our schedule has been a little behind, and hopefully we can catch up.

From about a week ago. The guys were busy doing maintenance so I took the Jeep out looking for a snowcone stand. No luck with that but it was a nice drive around away from the airfield.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2017-jul-19-005.jpg  

In the river near SNBL. Nice flight even with some technical difficulties.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2017-jul-27-001.jpg  

Hi there folks,

Well, we finally got away from SNJK after a few days R&R. The flight to SNBL was a good one after Dudley and I got the old PBY back in the air after some minor problems. Now we will be heading from SNBL to SNMX, and who knows where in the heck that is! hehe. See you all later.

Oops, almost forgot.

While we were doing some TLC on the PBY, this here big dude a Martin seaplane landed and tie up just above where we were. We walked up to them all and say howdy, but they were not the most finally folks we ever met down here. But after awhile they unload some stuff and reloaded the bird with some more stuff, and then we noticed that there was this dude carrying a AK47. So we played like we never noticed them or paid any attention to them, but it was sure strange. Wasn't to long after they loaded up, engine start and away they went. May guess it was something illegal, but who in the heck knows what goes on down here.

Hello, Due to some serious thunder storms around the county the decision was made to stand down under the present condition. But we will return!

Howdy Folks,

Well, we are back, two of Flight 19 flew last from SNMX to SNGA. Everything was just going fine until Rob posted the facts that the beaches along this part of Brazil were radioactive! Now, for me, it kind of curtail my thoughts about going to the beach and check out the local scenery. Hey, you know what! Might be great to go to the beach at night and see if the folks are glowing. It sure would make for an interesting evening. Hehe.

As we get over the party people glowing we will be heading from here to SDPC. So will catch you all later.

We wrapped up the trip near Rio de Janeiro. One last photo; Christ the Redeemer statue on Corcovado Mountain.

Moses signing off from Brazil.

Members who have read this thread: 0