F-8 Crusader fever kicking up again...

Thread: F-8 Crusader fever kicking up again...

F-8 Crusader fever kicking up again...

All,

I absolutely love the F-8...and as everyone knows, Alphasim's very long in the tooth model is pretty much what we have (not counting the Rollus version...which is really focused on the French variant). I adapted all of the wonderful mods that I have run across on here for the Alphasim model, and toyed with a few extra ones of my own, and while the result is certainly playable in P3D, it doesn't measure up to anything like the Milviz F-100D, or F-4s. A major drawback to the Alphasim model at this point is Carl/ninjamouse's crazy "never-seen-before or since" texture scheme, which makes repaints extremely difficult to do (I don't know how DaveQ and some of the other talented repainters on here were ever able to crack the code...). Still love Carl's model...would like a bit more systems depth though, so...

Does anyone have any information about whether any commercial developers (Milviz, SSW, etc.) are either working on a Crusader or **might** be considering producing one? It is a classic jet warbird we would love to see in the community...

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    All,

I absolutely love the F-8...and as everyone knows, Alphasim's very long in the tooth model is pretty much what we have (not counting the Rollus version...which is really focused on the French variant). I adapted all of the wonderful mods that I have run across on here for the Alphasim model, and toyed with a few extra ones of my own, and while the result is certainly playable in P3D, it doesn't measure up to anything like the Milviz F-100D, or F-4s. A major drawback to the Alphasim model at this point is Carl/ninjamouse's crazy "never-seen-before or since" texture scheme, which makes repaints extremely difficult to do (I don't know how DaveQ and some of the other talented repainters on here were ever able to crack the code...). Still love Carl's model...would like a bit more systems depth though, so...

Does anyone have any information about whether any commercial developers (Milviz, SSW, etc.) are either working on a Crusader or **might** be considering producing one? It is a classic jet warbird we would love to see in the community...

Kent
    Kent, RFN still has there freeware F-8 in progress (albeit slow progress). The last news I heard on it was in mid November and it was reported to be at 99% on the external model and 75-80% on the VC. What I've seen so far looks very good, very similar in their high quality Etendard IV models or better. Hopefully soon we will get some good news on it. Otherwise I have not heard of any news from payware devs about an F-8.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I really need any one of those developers to make the ever neglected RF-8.

It's far from dead. We're about to kick off our Campaign next month ... 1st we need to do some recon flights

RF-8 on a recon of Vinh Naval Port and Airbase N.Vietnam taking off from Yankee Station from USS Midway yesterday

Three great things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time

Bear in mind that the "old" AS F-8 did get a native model and some great new paints with it. I use Don B's 2D panel with lots of freeware naval (eg RFN) avionics AND have merged the Razbam A-7 VC. Pretty good combination and always high on my active aircraft list in FSX.

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

As StormILM said the RFN Crusader is indeed still alive but moving slowly. Several people are involved and
    real life has a way of getting in the way. But hey, they've been cranking out some other cool stuff.

Since the old Alphasim version is available on the Virtavia freeware page and was converted for FSX usage
    maybe it is now time for someone who has the RF-8 MDL to make it available for similar conversion? Just thinking out loud.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...model-question

I love the way you think, Frank!!!!

K

Members who have read this thread: 0