F-94B Starfire - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: F-94B Starfire

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    According to what I have on the F-94B, it was fitted with a Pratt & Whitney J48-P-5 turbojet...BB686
    According to Lloyd Jones in U.S. Fighters, the F-94A/B used the J-33 and the F-94C Starfire used the J-48. The Starfire was a whole different plane, originally called F-97, (different enough that Jones gives it a whole separate listing from the early F-94) and one of the main differences was the new, bigger engine, though there wasn't much of the F-80/T-33/F-94B left in the F-94C. Maybe nothing but things like nuts and bolts and maybe some landing gear parts.
    Last edited by Mick; May 4th, 2017 at 09:11.

Blackbird686
    The F-94A/B used the J-33. F-94B Pilots Manunal http://www.avialogs.com/viewer/avial...er.php?id=3526 Listed on PDF page 9 and 10 (book page 3 and 4)
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Yeah, you're right. The docs I was reading were for the F-94C. Like I said earlier... More research is needed. Thanks for the correction.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Update to V1.9. Added the auto afterburner gauges and afterburner sound effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post

Nice enhancement!

Before, it sounded like an old tractor starting up until it got running properly!

The indicator on the panel is a nice touch, too.
    Last edited by Mick; May 7th, 2017 at 06:53.

Texture Fix

For you early adapters who downloaded the skins from the links in the post above, here's a corrected texture file.

It's for the 319th FIS skin in the Korean War set. I'd neglected to put the flight leader's stripes around the bottom of the fuselage. This fixes that.

Of course the updated file has been added to the archive that will go into the library when version 2 is released.

I painted a few more skins so I'll upload four skin packs to the library, not three. I'm not putting the new ones up on my A-Drive because I figure we've got enough to hold us over for now.

Added the afterburner effect you set up, and it works nicely. Now to get some of that silver paint off the nose wheel... (ooops, sumbudy forgot to mask it off when they sprayed all that shiny silver stuff onto the airplane,,,)

Nice job on the AB effect, Allen....

BB686

... Now to get some of that silver paint off the nose wheel... BB686

Thanks for the head's up.

It took less than a minute to find the glitch and fix it. Applying the fix to a seventeen texture files may become a bit tedious.

I'm not going to add the fix to the files I linked to above, but they will be applied to all the skin sets that I put up to the library. So those who already have the skins will want to download the fixed versions when they show up on the download list. It will just be a quick drop and overwrite for each skin.

It was a ton of searching and head banging to get the afterburner gauges working. I'm not sure if the AB had any pop or bang sound when it fired up so the AB_Start.wav is blank but you can add any sound you like.

The one flaw I can't seem to fix is after your cycle through all of the views the AB sound isn't played once your go back to the 2D or VC panel. If you throttle back than back up the AB sound will start again.

Will PM l'iguane about including his 59th FIS, USAF texture in version 2. Think everything else is good unless something else has been found but not posted about.

Here is the updated 59th FIS texture, I corrected a few pixels and missing markings so it can be enclosed in the F-94 V2 version

Cheers
    L'iguane
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by l'iguane View Post
    Here is the updated 59th FIS texture, I corrected a few pixels and missing markings so it can be enclosed in the F-94 V2 version
    Cheers
    L'iguane
    And here it is with the silvery nose wheel glitch fix in the alpha channel, as I did for all my skins yesterday thanks to Blackbird's sharp eyes.

Afterburner Effects Glitch & Mystery

I just tried the plane with the latest v1.9 aircraft.cfg files and I found a glitch and a mystery regarding the afterburner effects.

The glitch is that it was impossible to turn the lights on and off without having the afterburner turn on and off with them. Not the hot set-up to depict a night fighter that served most of its career in peacetime, often flying at night with its lights on and its afterburner usually off.

In fact, when I turned on the lights the afterburner kicked in even when the engine wasn't running. Not very realistic.

The fix was easy but that led to the mystery.

I removed the afterburner effect lines from the [Lights] section of the aircraft.cfg file and I was able to turn the lights on and off without affecting the afterburner, and the afterburner still kicked in and out automatically when I opened or closed the throttle through the 90% point. Just as we want to happen! Perfect!

BUT...

Here's the mystery: when I removed the AB effects lines from the [Lights] section I noticed that the effect files we'd been using were no longer called up. They had been replaced with effects from a payware plane that I don't have, the Virtavia (I think) F11F Tiger. (Is that legitimate?)

I don't have that plane and I don't have those effect files. So how come I still get afterburner effects? In fact, how did I get them when I turned the lights on before I edited the cfg file, since I don't have those effect files? Very mysterioso! I don't get it. Not at all.

And regardless of which effect files are involved, how come I get any AB effects when they don't appear in the [Lights] or the [Effects] section? Is that some magic accomplished through Rob B's automatic afterburner gauge?

It just gets curiouser and curiouser...

Hey Mick --

I have a similar problem with the oldie but goodie Classic Wings F-100C/D, it's a strange one for sure... everything, including the afterburner lights up when the nav lights come on, even tho the effects controller is in place and the effects entries are where they should be, both in the aircraft config and the proper entries in the panel config... there's no joy in Mudville.

I found with Rob's afterburner gauge and panel entries, I could use any "light" effect for the visual afterburner I wanted in the F-94B. I stuck with the effects you used because they worked nicely with the model I thought. Allen did another AB effect for the plane so I tried using the "eap anniburner" light effect with that set up and I got the same thing you did when the lights were turned on and off. Strange...

I would either stick to the AB effect that Allen did for the F-94 or the one I did with the RCB gauge controller. Both work just fine and at some point I will sort this whole bit out later.

BB686

Hey Mick --

I have a similar problem with the oldie but goodie Classic Wings F-100C/D, it's a strange one for sure... everything, including the afterburner lights up when the nav lights come on, even tho the effects controller is in place and the effects entries are where they should be, both in the aircraft config and the proper entries in the panel config... there's no joy in Mudville.

I found with Rob's afterburner gauge and panel entries, I could use any "light" effect for the visual afterburner I wanted in the F-94B. I stuck with the effects you used because they worked nicely with the model I thought. Allen did another AB effect for the plane so I tried using the "eap anniburner" light effect with that set up and I got the same thing you did when the lights were turned on and off. Strange...

I would either stick to the AB effect that Allen did for the F-94 or the one I did with the RCB gauge controller. Both work just fine and at some point I will sort this whole bit out later.

BB686
    Well, it seems to me that Allen's v1.9 aircraft.cfg file with the AB effects removed from the [Lights] section works fine as long as the user has the two effects files we've been using. Being freeware, they can be included in the release, whereas I don't think it's permissible to include effects from a payware plane.

Maybe those payware effects are only called up by that [Lights] section, and the automatic AB gauge still calls up the files we've been using up to now???

Apparently it's not necessary to have the effect file names anywhere in the aircraft.cfg file as long as the gauge calls them up???

I really don't understand this stuff. I just know that I now have independent lights and automatic afterburner effects, but it didn't come out of the box that way. All I did was delete the effects lines from the [Lights] section. I'm sure the rest of it makes sense to those who understand this stuff, but it's all a muddle to me.

The really befuddling thing to me is that before I deleted those lines from the [Lights] section, they called up those payware effects files that I don't have, yet they worked. How can effects show up when I don't have those effect files? That just makes no sense to me. No sense at all. How can that even be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Well, it seems to me that Allen's v1.9 aircraft.cfg file with the AB effects removed from the [Lights] section works fine as long as the user has the two effects files we've been using. Being freeware, they can be included in the release, whereas I don't think it's permissible to include effects from a payware plane.

Maybe those payware effects are only called up by that [Lights] section, and the automatic AB gauge still calls up the files we've been using up to now???

Apparently it's not necessary to have the effect file names anywhere in the aircraft.cfg file as long as the gauge calls them up???

I really don't understand this stuff. I just know that I now have independent lights and automatic afterburner effects, but it didn't come out of the box that way. All I did was delete the effects lines from the [Lights] section. I'm sure the rest of it makes sense to those who understand this stuff, but it's all a muddle to me.

The really befuddling thing to me is that before I deleted those lines from the [Lights] section, they called up those payware effects files that I don't have, yet they worked. How can effects show up when I don't have those effect files? That just makes no sense to me. No sense at all. How can that even be possible?
    It has always been my understanding that one HAS to list the "light" or the "effect" in the aircraft config. Even tho they are similar, I have always included the visual flame effect in the aircraft.config as a light, not an effect. That has always worked until the latest issues I'm having as described in my last post. So for the record.... the effects controller is a "gauge" and in most cases is usually included in a zip file along with the panel gauges for the model. Should work either in the main gauges folder or the panel folder for that specific model, in most cases... I'm not really sure what's happening with your afterburner effects, you must have another light effect for another Alphasim plane, that has the same naming convention as the Alphasim F-11 Tiger. Some of the payware models I have from Alpha/Virtavia, (and I have A LOT), share naming conventions for both the lights and visual effects. I do not have the Grumman F-11 Tiger so I don't know what effects it uses for the afterburner. Post a copy of your lights and effects section here, and I'm sure if I can't figure it out, someone with more experience than me would be more than willing to help get it all sorted for ya.

BB686

Mick
    The afterburner effect isn't done by Light. It is done by SmokeSystem. Remove the useless F-11 effects from the light and every thing should be fine for you. I just did the same so no one else that has the payware F-11 will run into this odd bug. I never saw this bug as I don't have the payware F-11.

Mick
    The afterburner effect isn't done by Light. It is done by SmokeSystem. Remove the useless F-11 effects from the light and every thing should be fine for you. I just did the same so no one else that has the payware F-11 will run into this odd bug. I never saw this bug as I don't have the payware F-11.
    Exactly! That's how I made those manual afterburner effects earlier; they were triggered by the smoke key. They were made obsolete by the automatic AB (that I couldn't figure out but then Blackbird did.) I never put them in the lights section - you did, I suppose, in the v1.9 you attached to an earlier post. If you didn't put it in there, then you posted a file that someone else put it into. I took those lines out and all is as it should be. If you've deleted those lines from the release cfg file, that's all you need to do. No more issue.

But the mystery remains. The big mystery to me is that I'm still confused by how those light-linked effects ever showed up in the sim on my rig, since I don't have the effects files they call up. I checked my effects folder and I definitely don't have them. Yet they showed up when I turned on the lights while the cfg file called for them and they went away when I deleted those lines. How an I see an effect when I don't have the effect file for it??? It makes no sense, none!

It occurs to me that it might be a good idea after all to have a manual AB available for those who lack the required bits to make the automatic AB work. The automatic AB uses Ron B's automatic AB gauge, and in turn the AB gauge requires installation of the Carrier Operations Gauge Package, which some folks may not have installed. (At least that's what his ReadMe says.) Seems to me that we should all have the Carrier Ops package, but some might not. If there was a manual AB effect using the smoke system section it would be there for those who need it, and could be ignored by the rest of us. A smoke system AB effect, mentioned in the ReadMe, might save you some e-mails or PMs from folks who can't see the automatic AB effects.

This should do it:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.0=0.00, -18.00, 0.00, fx_afterburner
    smoke.1=0.00, -18.00, 0.00, fx_afterburnerflame

For those of us who don't need it, I wonder if I can summon up the patience to set up a gunfire effect so we can shoot the machine guns with the smoke key. We'll see about that. Probably not today. Maybe later...

The .cfg I got from Scale Dail and had AB effects in the light. I reworked the out of everything but for got about the effects being listed in the light. :-/

The Auto AB required nothing to turn the AB on/off with throttle. Only the sound part required an outside gauge. The Rob Barendregt's dsd_xml_sound3.gau and this is freeware and can be included with the aircraft as said in his read me.

My AB gauges work like this.

AB_Light: This is the light you see on the panel. The AB_Smoke_FX controls the light on/off of this gauge.

AB_Smoke_FX: This starts all FXes list in the SmokeSystem. Engine must be at least 50% RPM and throttle 98% or this won't start the effect. Also turns on the AB using the same 50% RPM and throttle 98%. Turns the AB_Light on/off as well.

AB_Sound: Works wtith the dsd_xml_sound3.gau to play sounds engine min 50% RPM and throttle 98%.

No need for Carrier Operations Gauge Package (not sure what that is). I'm new to FS04 and only installed it so I could get this F-94B working in FS04.

The .cfg I got from Scale Dail and had AB effects in the light...No need for Carrier Operations Gauge Package (not sure what that is). I'm new to FS04 and only installed it so I could get this F-94B working in FS04.
    I kinda figured that's where that Lights section came from.

When I read the ReadMe for the automatic afterburner gauge, Rob wrote in it that it would be necessary to also have the Carrier Ops package installed, at least to make it work simply and easily, though he suggested that it might be possible to make the AB gauge work without it if one could figure out how. He wasn't at all clear about that, and I couldn't get his AB gauge to work even though I do have the Carrier Ops package. Apparently Blackbird figured that out.

As for what it is, the Carrier Ops gauge package provides a "Meatball" that can be installed in a carrier plane along with a way to make the plane stop as if trapped in the arresting gear, plus a catapult that will shoot a carrier plane from a carrier, or a floatplane from a cruiser or battleship if one wishes. I'm not familiar with the landing stuff because I use another system for carrier traps and launches, but I use the catapult part to shoot floatplanes from gunnery ships or hang gliders from mountains. Even though I don't use all of it, I have the whole package installed because, well, why not?

Anyhow, if it's not necessary for everyone to have the Carrier Ops package installed, and the necessary gauges can be included in the package, then apparently everyone will be able to have the AB work automatically.

Still can't imagine why I saw those F11F effects when I don't have those effect files. It keeps gnawin' at me...
    Last edited by Mick; May 8th, 2017 at 14:34.

Guns!

OK, since it looks like nobody will need a manual afterburner effect, we can use the Smoke System for gunfire.

Yes, you can shoot guns in FS9. You just can't shoot anything down (or up.) For that matter, you can use an explosion effect to blow stuff up in FS9; it just doesn't stay blown up. When the smoke and fire clear away, the target remains intact.

Anyway, I've used the gunfire visual and sound effects that A.F. Scrub provides with all his fighter models. Everyone probably has them, but in case someone doesn't, I've attached them here. Thanks, Scrubby!

If you don't already have these effects:

Put the 20can sound file into the FS9 Sound folder.

Put the fx_Wing_Guns effect into the FS9 Effects folder.

Patch this into your aircraft.cfg file.

[SmokeSystem]
    Smoke.0=0.0, 2.00, 1.175, fx_Wing_Guns
    Smoke.1=0.0, 2.00, -1.175, fx_Wing_Guns

The gunfire doesn't exactly match the gun ports because in FS9 you can't adjust the elevation of an effect up and down in relation to the aircraft. There is a place in the effect line in the cfg file to make the adjustment, but no matter what you write there, the effect will always be level with the center of the model. You can adjust fore & aft or left & right, but not up & down. Still, they're pretty close.

The guns will fire as long as you hold the "trigger" down and stop when you let off the trigger. The trigger is the smoke ("i") key. Be careful not to burn out your barrels!

If you have any hostile AI planes coming for you, now you can go after them in the F-94. Zoom! A-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a!

The Auto AB is using the [SmokeSystem]...

The Auto AB is using the [SmokeSystem]...
    THAT would be an interesting event in a real world F-94B... romp the throttles up to about 90 - 95% and the guns go off!

I looked at the coding for the AB effect (which uses the smoke system) and it is somewhat intricate. Seems to work fine in my V1.9 copy so for the most part, it's best to leave well enough alone.

BB686

Yeah, that's right, we can't have the automatic AB and guns at he same time.

I didn't see that there was already a SmokeSystem section well down the aircraftcfg file, so I made one from scratch for the guns. It worked perfectly, but I didn't use the AB when I tried it so I didn't see that it wasn't working. Alas, what happened is that the first SmokeSystem section worked and FS didn't even see the second one. So I had the guns working but no AB.

If I put the guns and the AB in the same SmokeSystem section they would work together, just as the AB and the lights worked together when they were both in the Lights section. But if I'd seen the original SmokeSystem section I would've known not to add the guns to it.

(sigh...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Yeah, that's right, we can't have the automatic AB and guns at he same time.

I didn't see that there was already a SmokeSystem section well down the aircraftcfg file, so I made one from scratch for the guns. It worked perfectly, but I didn't use the AB when I tried it so I didn't see that it wasn't working. Alas, what happened is that the first SmokeSystem section worked and FS didn't even see the second one. So I had the guns working but no AB.

If I put the guns and the AB in the same SmokeSystem section they would work together, just as the AB and the lights worked together when they were both in the Lights section. But if I'd seen the original SmokeSystem section I would've known not to add the guns to it.

(sigh...)
    Good thing I didn't read that right away. I do have both working with out effecting each other and both have sounds. Took about a complete redo of the Auto AB it seemed.

How I did this is simple on the surface but thanks to the game and XML coding it took DAYS. The afterburner effect is now being ran from the Logo lights and still uses the dsd_xml_sound3 for sounds. Gun effects are being ran from the Wing lights.

Sound for the guns is being done from the SmokeSystem. While effects don't support looping sounds I was able to make 2 XML gauges that turn each other off and on real fast. This make the sound play over and over.

Gun sounds and effects are done by any brake key once your off of the ground. I'll attach an update. I think this is every thing needed. My brain is mush so I may have forgot something.

Attachment 49911

s... The afterburner effect is now being ran from the Logo lights and still uses the dsd_xml_sound3 for sounds. Gun effects are being ran from the Wing lights...
    What happens when you're on the ramp getting ready to go and you turn on the lights. Does that trigger the afterburner like it did before when the AB effects were in the Lights section? That was why they had to be removed from the Lights section...

OK, I just did the test and answered my own question.

As soon as you turn on the lights, the afterburner effects kick in, even if the engine isn't running.

Same as before the AB was switched to the Smokesystem section.

Oh, well... FS9 isn't a combat sim, so we really don't need guns.
    Last edited by Mick; May 10th, 2017 at 08:09.

Members who have read this thread: 2