Exhaust flame?

Thread: Exhaust flame?

Exhaust flame?

Trying to figure out how to make a flame texture come out of the exhaust. I tried a light but how to make it come on with engine because it only wants to come on when the lights are switched on.

its an .fx not a texture

try something like this

[LIGHTS]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=ENGINE1, 9=ENGINE2
    x
    x
    x
    x
    light.5 =8, 5.928, -30.30, -3.30, FX_exhaust_Flame
    light.6 =9, 7.395, 14.10, -5.07 , FX_exhaust_Flame

use whatever exhaust fx you like and end there posn of the end of the pipe, I used the above as an IE

however you then need to edit the electrical section have them turned on when the engines powers up the generators

ie
    [electrical]
    light_engine1 = 0, 20, 19
    light_engine2 = 0, 20, 19

thats the method I use , or find an aircraft that has continual exhaust and look at their lighting and electrical parts of the cfg to get another example

You can set burner effects to percentages of throttle opening via addons/entries to the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg by adding appropriate effects and xml 'gauges'....tho, as jeansy says....it's easiest to find an existing plane with appropriate effects you want and add them to yours....
    Here's a 'typical' I did for an AS 105D ...
    Aircraft.cfg....

//------------------------------- Afterburner....3 stage burner toggle.
    light.9 = 2, -18.40, 0.00, 0.35, fx_JAFO_St1 // 20% throttle ring
    light.10 = 1, -18.40, 0.00, 0.35, fx_JAFO_St2 // 50% throttle burner
    light.11 = 9, -17.00, 0.00, 0.35, fx_JAFO_St3_AB // 90% AB flame trail setback to hide rings

and... Panel.cfg...

// AB effects which work correctly....with 3 stage burner toggle.
    gauge00=F105D!AB-Stage1-20pc, 6,2,10,10
    gauge01=F105D!AB-Stage2-50pc, 6,2,10,10
    gauge02=F105D!AB-Stage3-90pc, 6,2,10,10

Calfifornia Classics has these effects included in with a lot of their aircraft. But if you adjust the locations in the aircraft.cfg, then you can make them fit any aircraft you want. And if you're comfortalbe mucking about with xml, you can change when they kick in. I took the set for the C-46 and have them working on the JBK Boeing 307 Stratoliner.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Been testing this and got a flame to work but it is sideways and I cannot find how to align it with the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Been testing this and got a flame to work but it is sideways and I cannot find how to align it with the plane.
    the 3 numbers...after the light number and type...eg....

light.9 = 2, -18.40, 0.00, 0.35, fx_JAFO_St1 // 20% throttle ring [in bold]

are the x, y, z, co-ordinates of the emitter [flame] defined from the model's arbitrary zero point defined by the modeller....
    length back from center....offset to side...height above center.

They will differ in specifics with every aircraft.
    Trial and error will see you get it all to align correctly...

Edit....forgot....in 'feet' ...

In the aircraft config or the effect config? I have adjusted the numbers in the aircraft config but I need to align the flame with the plane because now it is sideways (pointing wing to wing and not front to back). I need to turn it 90 degrees from where it is now.

You will need to edit the .fx file in order to turn the effect through 90°.
    Larry

Thanks, do you know what section it is in and what to look for?

It will be one (or more) of the 'heading' or 'rotation' values (more than likely heading) but which I can't say. Trial and error is probably your only option.
    Larry

It'd be a lot easier just to find an effect file that actually goes in the right direction....

Editing an effect file isn't for the novice. Depending on complexity there can be a LOT of entries that will need changing.

Got the hard part done,,,took 11 hours to make this new effect config and align it. Now I have to figure out how to link it to the engines and hopefully only come on at high power (it currently only comes on with the lights), Advice welcome

Watch the video because the flames are animated.

Post just the [Lights] and/or [Smoke] section (whole sections please) of the aircraft.cfg and the trigger parameters you want to make 'em light, IE MAP, RPM, Other..
    Should be able to make a xml controlling gauge to take care of it for you - Not a problem, no worries.

Cheers
    Roman

Wow, thanks, sent you a PM

Problem with adding flames is that the Connie has a front bank and rear bank (two exhaust on each side) and FSX light number limit is 18 where as I would need 22 to do two on each side. Is there a way to get around the FSX light number limit?

Use the Smoke system. It will support up to 99 entries. The only "gottcha" with Smoke entries is that they only work when the engine(s) are running, but this obviously wouldn't be a problem for exhaust flames!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Thanks but not sure how I can use a light in the smoke effects section.

Repeating what Fr. Bill said, use the smoke system.
    Just did a test for you (since we conversed earlier on this) and found that A2A used the "global" smoke on/off command rather than the newer individually controlled smoke. Once the global command is used the individually controlled smokes are no longer available for use.
    Not a problem though... They turn on the smoke when the MP (any engine) is greater than 42" and off when it falls below. (May be kind of nice)
    Take your smokes out of the [lights] section and put them in the [smokesystem] section.
    Hope this helps.

Code:
    [smokesystem]
    //Z,X,Y
    smoke.0 = 9.6, -31.07, 0.97, fx_wos_l049_propsmoke
    smoke.1 = 11.1, -13.78, -0.48, fx_wos_l049_propsmoke
    smoke.2 = 11.1, 13.78, -0.48, fx_wos_l049_propsmoke
    smoke.3 = 9.6, 31.07, 0.97, fx_wos_l049_propsmoke

// From left to right - fore, aft

//Engine1, Outboard, Fore
    smoke.4 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine1, Outboard, Aft
    smoke.5 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine1, Inboard, Fore
    smoke.6 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine1, Inboard, Aft
    smoke.7 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust

//Engine2, Outboard, Fore
    smoke.8 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine2, Outboard, Aft
    smoke.9 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine2, Inboard, Fore
    smoke.10 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine2, Inboard, Aft
    smoke.11 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust

//Engine3, Inboard, Fore
    smoke.12 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine3, Inboard, Aft
    smoke.13 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine3, Outboard, Fore
    smoke.14 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine3, Outboard, Aft
    smoke.15 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust

//Engine4, Inboard, Fore
    smoke.16 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine4, Inboard, Aft
    smoke.17 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine4, Outboard, Fore
    smoke.18 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    //Engine4, Outboard, Aft
    smoke.19 = Z, X, Y, fx_custom_exhaust
    Roman

You sir have done it !!. flames come on when mp is around 42 45. Now is there a way to adjust this global trigger to have them come on at 35 or so? The FE will not allow mp at that high a range and caps it at 35 mp full throttle.

Last edited by TeiscoDelRay; April 13th, 2017 at 17:50.

Members who have read this thread: 0