A question about GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds

Thread: A question about GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds

A question about GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds

I sometimes see the GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds file in different file sizes and wanted to know if the bigger file size is better (Chrome effect) then the smaller file size?
    What is the difference besides the file size?

This file will impact the intensity of the reflection of the chrome parts as well as any reflective material on your FSX/P3D aircrafts.
    I would strongly advise you to look for the "alternate globalenvmap" from BananaBob, which is one of the best addons for me.

This file is the default name for the fsx/p3d reflection cube map. It does not adjust intensity of the reflection in any way. It IS what is used as a "reflection". The more contrast and bright the color in this file will result in a more apparent reflection but only insomuch as the model is set for reflections. The alpha channel of the texture is what controls the intensity of the reflection up to the 3d mdls max pre defined limit. IF the alpha channel had been set to incorporate reflections at all.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    This file will impact the intensity of the reflection of the chrome parts as well as any reflective material on your FSX/P3D aircrafts.
    I would strongly advise you to look for the "alternate globalenvmap" from BananaBob, which is one of the best addons for me.
    I think I may of found it.

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    This file is the default name for the fsx/p3d reflection cube map. It does not adjust intensity of the reflection in any way. It IS what is used as a "reflection". The more contrast and bright the color in this file will result in a more apparent reflection but only insomuch as the model is set for reflections. The alpha channel of the texture is what controls the intensity of the reflection up to the 3d mdls max pre defined limit. IF the alpha channel had been set to incorporate reflections at all.
    So what you are saying is that the bigger the file will render a stronger shine/reflection?

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I found it and it contains two versions of GlobalEnvTest.dds & GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds one set in a texture folder and another set in a Original textures folder and both sets look to be same size.
    I would think that one or the other file would be needed and not both.

In his readme he states:
    These are alternative textures for the default GlobalEnvTest.dds and GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds. These are made using real pictures and will hopefully add a bit more realism to your flights. These textures are what you see reflecting off aircraft, glass, and chrome. I've also included a folder called Original Textures, just in case you don't backup your originals. I plan on doing different versions in the future, if anyone knows how to write a program that will allow to switch between these textures easily, as I plan on making different ones for different weather and terrain, please contact me.
    Installation:
    Just place the textures in the folder named Texture into your FSX main Texture folder and overwrite. That's it.

Cheers,

Bob "BananaBob" Rivera

I put both files in one texture and not the main P3d texture folder.

I found the files here: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/17949/fsx-globalenvtest-chrome/

No, I'm not saying that at all actually!

I recommend his Envmap as replacements as well. The larger the size of the image of the file (meaning resolution not storage space) the better resolution to the image being displayed as the reflection. That's it.

I recommend using it with ALL my bare metal paints.

Placing it in the root Texture directory will replace the default call out. If you don't want that, you can alternatively place it in the texture folder of the specific paint you want to replace. However, no all developers use this name as their Envmap file name. So you may find that some aircraft will have no effect. that is because the developer used a different file name for the cubemap. In this case, you would find out whatever they call it and name bananabobs file to that of the developers name. Then it will work.

Intensity of reflection (if setup in the most modern and ideal way in the mdl) is to have the reflection controlled by the alpha channel of the texture. the more black the more mirror like. The more white, the less reflection. Pure black = 100% refleciton. Pure white = 0% reflection.

So if you have these new replacement textures all loaded up but the alpha channel of your paint is white. Nothing will show.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Thanks Gray Eagle! I've been looking for that file for a while now and had about decided it had dropped off of the internet.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Members who have read this thread: 1