Focke Wulf Fw200-A Condor - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Focke Wulf Fw200-A Condor

Quote Originally Posted by Aleatorylamp
    Iīm glad you got a better working propeller for your Ki-61.
    From what I gather, compared to the Stock P51d propeller, you have improved S.L. performance with the same horsepower. Great!

If you want to continue using this thread for a possible propeller prop shop, please do so, especially if you find it easier.
    After all, propellers is one of the important themes as regards the development of an improved Condor .air file. The original propeller data I had, turned out totally wrong for this version, which is now improving notably.

Hello Aleatorylamp,

I believe the propeller is better. It has fewer silly things in it as I will describe whenever I get a proper Propeller thread started.
    There is a very slight performance improvement at Sea Level but it is because of a better match of the Power Coefficient and Efficiency Tables.
    I have not actually increased the Efficiency values and in fact the values are mostly decreased. This is not the place for this kind of detail.
    It belongs in a different thread.

The reason why we are having so many discussions about propellers here is because this Condor project of yours is what restarted the work on Propellers. (I was working on Gauges before this Condor project began....)

....So what exactly did the FW 200 Fuel Gauges look like?
    Were they really using a single 500 USG tank per wing?
    Were the markings in Liters or Gallons?

My issue was getting a single gauge to read whatever the selected tank was as the stock gauges do.
    The issue with FS98 gauges is that there are only certain tanks that are readable.
    For more immediate projects, I need to build an Elevator Trim Gauge and a working Radiator Temperature Gauge and organise everything before I forget what I have and have not done.

- Ivan.

The Agony of Choice

Hello Ivan,
    Oh Dear! I donīt know if this is good or bad... It seems I am to blame (yet again!) for putting your technicians into Multitasking Mode. Apart from making gauges they are now also doing propeller work again. Hopefully you are not getting stressed out.

Update. Added comment: Very interesting, the better match achieved between Thrust Coefficient and Efficiency Tables. You had already mentioned the need for this before, which I found very intriguing but difficult to grasp.

You had asked about Condor Cockpit Instrumentation. I was trying to avoid so much detail, but apparently it is needed. The details are from the documentation supplied with the FS8 and the FS9 Fw200-A Condors by Mr. Hauke Keitel.
    Here goes (!!):
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Magnetic Compass
    Airspeed Indicator
    Altimeter
    Turn/Bank Coordinator
    Vertical Speed
    Artificial Horizon

Engine Gauges 1-4, in 4 columns:
    RPM, ATA, Oil pressure, Oil temp/fuel flow
    4 Throttle levers
    4 Propeller levers (Pitch: Fine - Coarse)
    4 mixture levers

Gear lever + Gear position indicator
    Flap lever + Flap Position indicator
    1 Handbrake lever
    Pitot heat
    Ignition
    Starter selector 1/2 - 3/4
    Starter 1/2 - 3/4
    Hydraulic and brake pressure gauge

Autopilot + Autopilot Master Switch (Autopilot = Auto Steering Machine?)
    Servos for Course and Altitude steering (linked to Autopilot/Auto-Steering Machine?):
    -3 Trim Indicator Gauges (Elevator, Rudder and Ailerons)
    -3 Trim switches

Tank selector Gauge;: 2 levers side by side, vertical movement:
    Top to bottom, 5 positions: Take-off Tank, L/R Wing Tank, L/R Aux Tank, All, Off.
    Tank Fuel Quantituy Gauges:
    -Take-off: 110 Litres (29 USG)
    -Wing L/R(Main tanks) 900 Litres each (238 USG)
    -Fuselage L/R (Aus Tanks) 770 Litres each (203 USG)
    (Total: 3450 Litres = 911 USG)

Navigation:
    -ADF (1-10-100 Khz)
    -Nav1 Radio (VOR1+DME - no glidepath)
    -Com1 Radio
    -RMI with OBS (VOR1 related)
    -Repeater Compass (Directional Gyro - Heading Indicator) linked to Autosteering
    -Autosteering machine
    -Altitude Selector
    -Heading Bug linked to autosteering.

Suction Indicator

Outside Air Temperature
    Altimeter (rough)
    Clock/Stopwatch
    Stall Warning
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bet you are saying "Oh, no!...why did I ask...!!"

Updated paragraph:

I have more or less decided on the gauges to put in - Iīve only added a flap-lever next to the throttle quadrant.
    Quite a few of the gauges on the list are impossible for CFS1, and a couple perhaps only clutter things up.
    For the moment, I donīt know if I want propeller pitch or mixture levers. I have to see if it is better to use the Generic 4-engined thrust-lever quadrant that includes them. Please see screenshot. The levers differ from those on the original plane, but theyīre there. Plus, of course, the area to the right is not the co-pilotīs, like in reality, but the Navigator and Radio Operatorīs place. Also, the default equipment looks rather modern, but for want of anything else... The Ju52 equipment is nothing like the real stuff anywayon this plane. So: Instead of a 100% realistic panel, a functional, First Knight Film Uniforms type of thing could be more convenient, unless everyone disagrees, and then Iīll change it!!

At the moment Iīm deciding whether to get another photo for the Panel Bitmap that shows the leather sunshade covers strapped to the upper Cockpit Window Spars. The viewing angle of the photo isnīt as good as the one I got the current bitmap from, but then the greyscale colour curve is not so good on the one I have now...

Thanks for your attention and motivating comments!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; May 3rd, 2017 at 02:51.
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

Enhanced Generic-4 Throttle Cuadrant Console

Hello again,
    Inspiration comes in drips and trickles - never all at once.
    The throttle cuadrant on the real plane is on a console attached to the middle of the panel.
    Hereīs a partial-view screenshot. For this functional panel, it looks better, I think.

I made the all the handles on the Generic-controls.4.gau levers bigger, and the black throttle ones, white.
    Then I thought of making them all white, but it could get confusing. A bit of colour looks good...
    On the original plane, they were all white, and it wasnīt so confusing because they had a different layout.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ebhanced Throttles.jpg  

Guten Tag Aleatorische Lampe,

Your panel and instruments look quite good.

It doesn't sound to me from your description that you are really needing a 500 Gallon gauge for Left and Right Mains.
    It is probably more like a 900 liter Left and Right Main Gauge.
    I don't have the ability to build Aux Tank Gauges yet. Need to do more reading and experimenting first.
    I will be needing those on both the B-25 Mitchell and the P-38 Lightning.

By the way, the "Start" fuel was a pretty common type of thing even on later German aeroplanes.
    It wasn't really for Take-Off; It was just intended to have a bit of low octane high volatility fuel that would make engine starts easier.
    The stuff was much too low octane to use at the high power settings needed to get the aeroplane off the ground.

- Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov.

Hello Ivan, Ivanovich Ivanov!

Thanks for your comment about the panel. Iīm glad you say itīs looking quite good.

I think Iīll keep the throttle quadrant with all the other levers. I tried out the pitch levers higher up, and found thereīs a positio for the lever that optimizes RPM, which is of course the whole point for a manual propeller. A 2-position propeller would obvioously also be optimizing within its limitations, but its workings would be different.
    Iīm just working on the handle shapes.

You are right about the 900 Litre left/right main tanks. That would be fantastic.
    I wasnīt thinking when I simply said two 500 USG tanks - that was because the total was 911 USG and I rounded off after dividing by 2... So sorry!

With the "Start" fuel you could be right, especially for the wartime Fw200-C, that used the 100 Octane fuel, so theyīd be economizing with 87 octane fuel on the ground. However, "Start" in German means Take-off. Starting the engine would be "anlassen". The flying instructions of the model I got the gauge details from, mentions using the "Start" tank for engine start-up, and take-off as well, and switching to the main tanks after take-off for initial climb and onwards.
    The early civil Condors all used 87 Octane fuel anyway.

Iīll investigate on the different FS98 tank types available and see what gauges react to the L/R aux types and a central one for the "Start" fuel.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Aleatorylamp,

You are of course right regarding Start and I knew that. (As in Start und Notleistung which shows up in many places.) I just wasn't sure what your documentation was stating.
    I believe the typical fuel used in those little tanks for engine starting was closer to about 60 octane but it has been a while since I saw the documentation.
    I never paid it much attention because for flight simulator purposes it really had no significance in the same way that knowing how many Coffman cartridges were for ready use has no real meaning.
    It didn't matter much in any case because 29 US Gallons is not enough to warm up your engines and finish the take-off run anyway.
    Did the Germans use the C3 and B4 Fuel designations at the time this FW 200 was being developed?
    The issue here is that the designations by each country did not necessarily match up.
    The German C3-96 or C3-100 fuel was actually much higher octane than US 100 octane.
    My source for this information is the test report for a captured FW 190F or G model which stated if I remember right that it was equivalent to US 115/130 Grade.
    One has to wonder if their B4/87 fuel was better than its designation would indicate.

Did you notice that your Dual Fuel Gauge looks to be the same form as my Coolant Temperature Gauge?
    This kind of thing makes for great confusion when multiple gauges all look alike and the print is too small to read....
    ....But it also makes for easier development of a new gauge (if I can figure out the programming behind it).
    Glad you have a working version for now.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DualCoolantGauge.jpg  

Hello Ivan,
    Upto now I havenīt found any other reference as regards the type of fuel, but Iīll continue looking.

I was just collecting the total possible tanks in CFS1: Left and Right Main Tanks, Centre 1 and 2, and a fifth one, Aux 2.
    Different stock models use different combinations of these, maybe two or three at a time. Putting all the tank selectors and tank gauges works, and is of course extremely confusing - and you donīt really know what is doing or showing what!!

Using all 5 tanks would be the ideal combination for the Condor - Main Tanks for the 900-litre Wing tanks, Centre 1 and 2 for the 770-litre fuselage tanks, and the Aux-2 tank for the 110 litre start-up tank.

Maybe 29 gallons (110 litres) for four 720 Hp engines is a bit small to include the take-off run. The confusion may have arisen in the interpretation of the original documents. Iīd have to work it out.
    Consumption was 230 grammes per Horsepower/Hour per engine, and the take-off run appears to have been 420 meters.

OK, then. Slowly things start taking shape. Interesting...!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Aleatorylamp,

It would be more like using all 9 Tanks.

The Available Tanks are as follows:
    525 - Left Main
    526 - Right Main
    527 - Left Aux
    528 - Right Aux
    529 - Left Tip
    530 - Right Tip
    531 - Center 1
    532 - Center 2
    533 - Center Aux

From Hubbabubba's quite extensive and excellent study (which I bumped recently when I was about to work on Fuel Gauges), There is a certain order that the tanks will be expended by default.

As a summary: (Hubbabubba, Please advise if I am incorrect)
    The Tanks can be divided into three groups:
    Left, Right, and Center

The default (No selector used or if the 'E' key is pressed to start engines) is to draw from all of the three groups simultaneously if they are available.
    If a group has no representatives, it will not be drawn from (obviously).

The Left Group will be expended in the following order:
    Left Tip <-- Not sure about this one
    Left Aux
    Left Main

The Right Group will be expended in the following order:
    Right Tip <-- Not sure about this one either
    Right Aux
    Right Main

The Center Group will be expended in the following order:
    Center Aux
    Center 2
    Center 1

I personally have never had occasion to use all of the available tanks especially the Right / Left Tip Tanks, so I am not absolutely certain how they work.

One of the reasons I do not like to use the 'E' Key to start engines is because it automatically resets the fuel selection to draw from all groups.
    Using the Magneto and Starter Switch does not do reset the fuel selection but the default when the simulator is started is to draw from all groups until a fuel selector is used.

I had to check out a few of these things because my plan was to do a couple really fancy fuel selectors along with a cross-feed selector for my twin engine projects. After looking at it a while, I realise I probably don't know enough to do it yet and will just use the automatic selection which is the recommended order of use anyway. If I figure it out, it may come out in a later version of the twins but that is on the assumption that the FIRST version actually gets completed.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Thatīs interesting. I only found the first two and last three on the list on the stock planes, and thought that L/R Aux and L/R Tip tanks were only available in FS98. Maybe I didnīt look far enough?

Of course, the lack of convenient selector and tank gauges limits users to automatic feed for anything outside the tank combinations available in Stock models.

The nearest to a usable combination for multi-engined planes seems to be the P51d tanks: L/R Main tanks and Centrer.

I found that the FS98 Sopwith Camel fuel gauge (labeled "Air" because of the necessary air pressure for the feed), as well as both of the Extra-300 tanks (named Acro and Wing Tanks, but with emerging text saying Left and Right fuel tanks), will read the total fuel of ANY tanks defined, any tank capacity will be shown full at the end of the needle arc.

Then, Left and Right tanks for the B737-400 (Numerical readout in lbsx1000 and x100 if under 1000 lb), and also the Cessna 182 Left and Right Tanks (anything above 150 USG is shown as full by the needle), ONLY report the contents of L/R Wing or Main Tanks.

For single engined planes, stock models offer a variety of useful combinations one can use if one doesnīt like automatic feeding, but that stops with 2, 3 or 4 engines, as there are also no Magnetos and Starters, so I am really looking forward to your tank and fuel selector gauges.

I wish I could be of assistance, but I donīt programme in "C" - The only thing I do is alter bitmaps on existing gauges using "Resident Hacker" and a simple Photo-Retouching programme.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Aleatorylamp,

Regarding Multi Engine Aeroplanes:
    Both my Lightning and Mitchell currently use L/R Main and L/R Aux Tanks.
    Both also had the option of L/R Tip Tanks but I declare them NOT to be installed on my models.
    With the Mitchell, the outboard wing tanks were not often used on operations but the filler caps are obvious.
    The later models of the P-38J and L both had extra fuel tanks installed where the Intercoolers were on the Early Lightning.

Fuel Selectors will be a while. Fuel Gauges hopefully will arrive sooner.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    How silly, I never thought of looking into your Lightning.
    Thanks for the prompt! Iīll get the two Auxiliary Tanks from there then.

I had just made a File Dump with AirUpdate, with the intention of copying
    and editing some tank lines to make the missing tank types, and updating
    the .air file with them, but apparently the programme doesnīt work like
    that - it doesnīt create .air file code other than altering existing parameter
    values. Additions are then only allowed as usual, copying records from an
    existing .air file
    via the clipboard.

So, Iīll get them from your Lightning then! Thank you very much again.
    What mystifies me is how you managed to get them...

No hurry for the fuel tank and selector gauges!

Update:
    Very nice!... My technicians have just fitted your Auxiliary Tanks, and were pleasantly surprised that their fuel quantity is included in the dual L/R Cessna Tank gauge readout.
    Now, the needle starts moving downards at just over 8% fuel of Main+Aux tanks, as opposed to 17% with just the Main Tanks, so itīs usable. It gives the readout of the last 155 litres in the tanks, not including the Start-up Tank.
    This has just given me a better idea: Iīll try to fix and calibrate the two Extra-300 tank-bitmaps, as these give a full arc read-out from empty to full of ALL specified tanks, not only Main and Aux. The Start-up Tankīs 110 litres would be there too!
    Entering Zero Fuel for Main and Aux Tanks, the Start-up Tank being defined in Centre-1, it seems that the 2 Extra-300 Fuel gauges either divide the 29 USG content of the centre tank between the two gauges, or show it in both.
    Iīll have to figure that out in more detail once I have calibrated the dials for the full capacity of the Condorīs tanks.

Uptade 2: Correction!
    The 2 Extra-300 do NOT include any of the other tanks (Centre 1 and 1, and Aux 2), but at least the gauges give a full arc readout of the total contents of both Main and Both Aux tanks, which is a help. It just means the 110 litres in the Centre 1 tank will give a little more time before running out of fuel once the main tank gauges show empty.
    The only remaining test would be L/R Tip Tanks, but I donīt know where to get them.

Cheers,

Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; May 5th, 2017 at 05:30.

So, Iīll get them from your Lightning then! Thank you very much again.
    What mystifies me is how you managed to get them...

Hello Aleatorylamp,

Glad they work for you. I guess that Lightning was good at least for spare parts!
    Originally about 15 years ago, I figured out what the structure was for a AIR File fuel tank record and just wrote a C Program to create a full set of records in a separate AIR file that I could extract the particular tank I wanted. Note that the Mitchell has had these tanks and has been around for a very long time.
    These days it is even easier. For a particular tank, I can generate an AIR File with just that tank in about 2 minutes by just hex editing an extracted Fuel Tank record.

The 2 Extra-300 do NOT include any of the other tanks (Centre 1 and 1, and Aux 2), but at least the gauges give a full arc readout of the total contents of both Main and Both Aux tanks, which is a help. It just means the 110 litres in the Centre 1 tank will give a little more time before running out of fuel once the main tank gauges show empty.
    The only remaining test would be L/R Tip Tanks, but I donīt know where to get them.

It won't actually work that way.
    If you have any tanks in the Center group, they will be drawn from at the same time as the Left and Right groups but because of the small capacity will be empty way before the others.
    Did your FW 200 actually have Tip tanks?
    If so, I will ask my technician to box up a set and send them to you tonight.
    Keep in mind that we have never used them, so I don't really know how they will work.

By the way, we have an aleatory lamp in our light above the dining table.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Here we are waiting at the vet with an ill cat.
    No, the Fw200 had no tip tanks - I was just seeing if I could separate the starter tank Center1 from the rest but thereīs no way. Then, the dual Cessna fuel gauge could serve as an indication of reserve fuel. Anyway, it's better with the 2 Extra-300 Tanks. No tip tanks needed, thanks a lot for your offer!

Update later at home again.
    Hereīs a screenshot of the improved fuel-gauges and throttle-cuadrant handles on the panel. Eye-candy!
    (Any suggestions as always, are very welcome!)
    Apart from programming gauges, I see from the way you described for adding tanks to an .air file, it is yet another fine example of how useful it is to know "C". Hmmm....

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; May 5th, 2017 at 12:05.

Hello Aleatorylamp,

There is no real magic to the C Language. It just happens to be what I know best and is my solution to things whenever some programming is a possible solution. This is the old idea that if you hire a man with a hammer, then every problem starts looking like a nail.
    The C program was serious overkill for the task involved. It was probably not run more than a half dozen times and I don't even know where there is a copy any more.
    The current solution of going into an AIR file with a hex editor is much easier though there is a slight chance of really messing things up because of several patterns matching what one is trying to find.
    The way I avoid that is to have just a single record in the entire AIR file and then the record number is in the first two bytes of the file. No need to search at all. Actually it is a 4 byte integer, so it should be the first 4 bytes, but they will be arranged so that the first two contain the actual value you want to edit (Little Endian).

If you read through Hubbabubba's thread, one of the ideas he mentions is to observe the order of use and completely ignore the nominal designations of the fuel tanks. Just because it says Right Main doesn't mean it has to be in the Right Wing.... There might be a worthwhile arrangement.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Sounds complicated for someone with no "C" nor Hex-editing experience, but fascinating!

Something just occurred to me to do with a Hex-Editor:
    As AirEd gives the Possibility to Hex-Edit each line in a record, including the Index number
    line, it could perhaps be possible, if one knows the necessary Hex values, to change the
    index numbers of the two first tank records 525 and 526, to read 527 and 528, also
    changing name of the two recors from Main to Aux, then save the .air file, and after that
    copy over the normal Tank records 525 and 526 from another .air file with AirEd using the
    Clipboard...

Anyway, the Condor panel is quite functional and looks, as you said, quite good.
    Iīm going to try to improve the artwork for the spars and stuff, and then SCASM the Virtual
    Cockpit (trying to get a moving co-pilotīs head too!).

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp.

Hello Aleatorylamp,

I saw your post this morning but we have been out all day shopping with extended family.

Something just occurred to me to do with a Hex-Editor:
    As AirEd gives the Possibility to Hex-Edit each line in a record, including the Index number
    line, it could perhaps be possible, if one knows the necessary Hex values, to change the
    index numbers of the two first tank records 525 and 526, to read 527 and 528, also
    changing name of the two records from Main to Aux, then save the .air file, and after that
    copy over the normal Tank records 525 and 526 from another .air file with AirEd using the
    Clipboard...
    <Big Heavy Sigh>

You are just picking a very complicated way of doing exactly what I was suggesting.
    I extracted a copy of Record 525 from the stock Hurricane_I AIR File.
    It is 56 Bytes long in all which is the same (obviously) as the size of the record in the AIR File.

Please take a look at the attached screenshot. It is the extracted file 525.air which is being shown in a Hex Editor (FrHed).
    The first four bytes 25 05 00 00 is a single 4 byte integer displayed in low order to high order bytes (Little Endian).
    The value in normal hex display would be 00000525 thus "Record 525" is really the AIR File record that begins with an integer of value 525 Hex ==> bytes 05 and 25.
    THAT IS THE CRYPTIC HEX CODING!!! No mystery, no nothing else.

If you change the first byte so that it now reads
    27 05 00 00
    you now have "Record 527". It is THAT simple. There is nothing that says this is whatever Fuel tank.
    That is in your AirED or FDEctrl file.

That is why I was telling you that I could make you a copy of which ever record you needed in about 2 minutes.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Record525.jpg  

As long as I am here.....

Hello Aleatorylamp,

Since I am already on the subject, there is a little more information on how to decode an AIR file Record.

Note from the prior screenshot and the one attached below that the second 4 bytes in the file is
    30 00 00 00
    This is a Hexadecimal number giving the length of the data contained in the rest of the record.

Note that I told you the entire Record 527 was 56 Bytes long. (Yes, I changed it.)
    A long integer gives the Record Number.
    A second long integer gives the Data Length to follow.
    Actual Record Data follows.

The standard Windows Calculator in Programmer View is a very useful tool for converting from Hexadecimal which is hard to read to Decimal which we read much easier. 30 Hex ==> 48 Decimal, so.....

4 Bytes - Record Identifier
    4 Bytes - Record Length
    48 Bytes - Record Data
    ----------
    56 Bytes - Total Record Length.

This matches up nicely with what we already know.
    This is how the entire AIR File is structured.
    It is really THAT simple.

And with that, you now know as much as I do about how AIR files are organised.

Figuring out the numbers to actually enter into the AIR file record for something like the Propeller Tables is not so easy.....

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Record527.jpg  

Hello Ivan,
    Wow! I hadnīt expected such a detailed answer. My post was more rhetoric than
    anything else. Neither had I expčcted the simplicity you are describing!

Iīve just seen all the Tank records in the Ctrl File - so thatīs how it works!

Thank you very much! It is very intriguing, and Iīll give it a try later today, just

for curiosityīs sake. Some interesting experimentation. First Iīll print out your post!

After a couple of rainy days today thereīs some sun. Even the cat is rather talkative!
    As itīs motherīs day here, weīre going for a drive into the wooded mountains, perhaps
    for some grilled chicken and a salad in one of the few road-side restaurants.

Update:
    P.S.: Silly question: - how can I extract the fuel record so as to load it into FrHed? ...Sorry!
    Iīve tried several different ways to no avail.

OK, then - Cheers!
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; May 7th, 2017 at 08:46.

Hello Ivan,
    I tried with AAM, but that wonīt extract anything usable f FrHed either.
    Nevertheless, I found the two records in the .air file with FrHed: 25 05 and 26 05, changed them to 27 05 and 28 05, and saved the .air file - but the .air file wonīt work any longer. It seems that the .air file is ruined if the whole .air file is edited.
    So, I will have to find the way to isolate the tank records so that I can alter them with FrHed, save them again, and
    then copy them into the .air file with AirEd.

Cheers!
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; May 7th, 2017 at 11:38.

Hello Aleatorylamp,

I suspect there are other means of doing things, but check your email.
    My Technicians packed up a couple things for you.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    Thank you for the Tank!
    The penny has just dropped.
    "Extracting" a tank record from the .air file is to be interpreted in a more ample more drastic way:
    Itīs like killing the tree to get the apple, i.e. remove all records except the wanted Tank... and
    save the .air file!
    That took some time to realize... and to do.
    Iīm still only half way through removing all the "trash".

More, tomorrow!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Aleatorylamp,

My Technicians shipped off a heavier package with a rather useful shop tool that we just finished a week or so ago.
    Customs would not allow the first two attempts at delivery, so we tried to find an alternate means of packaging that would still get the tools there.
    Customs has not complained this time, so I presume the shipment went through.
    It should make your work easier when you get this delivery.

- Ivan.

Hello Ivan,
    I have had my panelbeaters and plumbers making all sorts of different Tanks based on the one you sent over, and getting them ready for testing. We are especially interested in trying out the Tip Tanks they put together, to see how they work.
    As regards the extractor tool, they are investigating how it works, and will report later!
    Thank you very much indeed! Have to rush off now.

Update later:
    As expected, left and right Tip Tanks have their contents included in the Cessna and Extra300 Fuel gauges, and seemingly, the gauges of CFS1 stock aircraft that use left and right tanks reflect this too.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; May 8th, 2017 at 06:39.

Hello hello, Ivan,

My machinists followed your instructions and managed to run your super-efficient, custom-made Turbo-Extractor Tool very well.
    Thanks very much again.

I finally remembered that in WinXP you type in Cmd into the Execute Option in the Startup Menu to get the black Command Line Interface window.
    Then, typing
    in the tool name "ExtractRecord" gave the syntax, so after that, typing in the required Record Number and the correct paths and names for Input and Output Files was a piece of cake!

I immediately obtained an .air file containing the single, desired Record. It is interesting how the program makes a list of all the files it finds, and marks the one it copies with an arrow. Excellent!

Thanks a lot again.

Cheers,
    Stephan

Some Time to Stop and Think

Hello Aleatorylamp,

Glad the utility worked for you. I am not sure how much it will help you, but it is there.
    At this point with the Ki 61, I need to do a lot more analysis but am tempted to just leave things the way they are now because the numbers are pretty good.
    I want to experiment a bit but there isn't much more to gain there and there is a good chance of really messing things up.

Now would be a good time for you to send me a current version of your FW 200 and I will see if my idea for how to implement a two pitch propeller will work there.
    Since you don't really know what the propeller pitch range should be, I will not worry about keeping the same pitch values as you are currently using because my guess is that other pitch values may work even better.

Please let me know which performance numbers should not change and which ones should change and where they should be.

Thanks for the patience.
    - Ivan.

Members who have read this thread: 0