Misty Flight - MV F-100D - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Misty Flight - MV F-100D

Gentlemen, just got caught up on this thread, and enjoying all the input - good to see my buddies here, fellow testers from these excellent projects.

One of our Hun drivers who helped with the MV project also has much combat time in it. He was shot down while supporting US troops in contact and picked up by Special Forces, spending time at their remote fire base until retrieved and returned to his squadron. His name is Jim Pollack, and I'd like to have his unit's aircraft immortalized by Jankees as a token of appreciation for his volunteer work on the Hun project. Would that be okay with everyone?

I'll relay info when I get it from Jim - Jankees, we certainly appreciate your work on these new paints, and will probably generate quite a bit of video action with them. Will look super sharp to have all aircraft from the same squadron.

Toby

As a longtime member of multiple military VAs, it always seemed to be a miracle if we got everyone up with zero scenery or connection issues. Adding a moving ship complicates that phase. Your add-on haze really added to the visuals, one can almost imagine that 1000% humidity in the cockpit over SEA. Agree about the loaded Hun and look forward to doing this with the Rhino, after I finally get around to my P3D transition. Need an early model KC-135A in Tacpack.

I thought the form was great, it's easier real world.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

In the very few times I managed to fly with Toby while testing the F-100, it was a blast! Unfortunately our time zones are very different and it becomes very difficult. Besides the fun, it is a very effective method of beta testing.

Quote Originally Posted by mig21bis View Post
    Gentlemen, just got caught up on this thread, and enjoying all the input - good to see my buddies here, fellow testers from these excellent projects.

One of our Hun drivers who helped with the MV project also has much combat time in it. He was shot down while supporting US troops in contact and picked up by Special Forces, spending time at their remote fire base until retrieved and returned to his squadron. His name is Jim Pollack, and I'd like to have his unit's aircraft immortalized by Jankees as a token of appreciation for his volunteer work on the Hun project. Would that be okay with everyone?

I'll relay info when I get it from Jim - Jankees, we certainly appreciate your work on these new paints, and will probably generate quite a bit of video action with them. Will look super sharp to have all aircraft from the same squadron.

Toby
    Would that be this Jim: http://supersabresociety.com/caterpi...rpillar-club/?
    Painting aircraft of his squadron is fine by me, just as long as I know which squadron we are talking about, I assume he flew with the 31st TFW? So we have 306 TFS/SD on tail, 308TFS/SM or 309TFS/SS?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Would that be this Jim: http://supersabresociety.com/caterpi...rpillar-club/?
    Painting aircraft of his squadron is fine by me, just as long as I know which squadron we are talking about, I assume he flew with the 31st TFW? So we have 306 TFS/SD on tail, 308TFS/SM or 309TFS/SS?
    Affirmative, that's the man, Jankees. I'll relay his response.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    As a longtime member of multiple military VAs, it always seemed to be a miracle if we got everyone up with zero scenery or connection issues. Adding a moving ship complicates that phase. Your add-on haze really added to the visuals, one can almost imagine that 1000% humidity in the cockpit over SEA. Agree about the loaded Hun and look forward to doing this with the Rhino, after I finally get around to my P3D transition. Need an early model KC-135A in Tacpack.

I thought the form was great, it's easier real world.
    Victory103, Rick and I have lashed up a basic KC-135A - the old HJG model. Updated the model the run in P3D by locking animations. Probe is locked in down position - fine for in-flight refueling in TacPack, not meant to be flown though. I included the vintage paint - bare aluminum skin and "da-glo" orange highlights. Definitely a vintage, A model look. Here's a link, for anyone who wants to air refuel in the 1960's.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...S02Uy1ZbzJkM00

And here's what it looks like in use, if you want to check it out before installing:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...lR2cVdIRlc3ZWM

Toby

just upload my F-100 SEA paint, try it to see if you like it: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...bien-hoa-1966/

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

I love it, Jan! Your "hot metal" work in the tail section is excellent. Four tail #'s would allow us to look real in a full flight of Huns, heading out on an interdiction or CAP mission.

Jim Pollak described sitting CAP alert as two-ships at Bien Hoa, and really hustling when they'd get the "TIC" call.

Jan, thank you so much for this work.

Toby

Very nice indeed. Just a small comment on the dark green. I believe it is too brownish. Typically the color code is FS 34079, clearly dark green: http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=34079

Colorblindness strikes again.I used the milviz colors, or did I mess that up as well?

There was indeed a brownish scheme in one of the initial MV releases but it was promptly corrected. All SEAC schemes in the current SP are correctly green.

OK, I'll look at that as well. Do we have an idea of which squadron and/or timeframe/lettering style yet?

I'm sorry, Jan - have not had a response yet fro Jim Pollak. I see he was based at Tuy Hoa, though, not Bien Hoa.

OK, progress so far: I have completely redrawn the camouflage, after Dimus' remarks regarding the colors.
    Please note that I am very much colourblind, so the difference between green and brown usually eludes me. Luckily he gave me a code, so I could look it up.
    While I was at it, I had a look at the other colors, and what literature said they should be, and they were all different, so I thought I might as well start over.
    They are now FS 34079, FS 34102 and FS 30219 for the top surfaces, in case you wonder.

a generic scheme, no peeling paint or markings yet. Specs also still to do. My plan is to make 4 aircraft, each with an individual camouflage (they were all slightly different) and weathering, from one squadron. I have data for four 308th TFS aircraft, including a few with noseart, the other squadrons based on Tuy Hoa are proving a bit more elusive. Is the 308th OK, or do you want another squadron?

I think it looks great Jankees! I also like a lot the amount of softness i.e. airbrush effect in the demarkation lines. It is just the right amount. An excellent base to make many schemes from.

ah, good to hear you noticed that!

here's a few first wip shots for a 308 TFS aircraft:

Sweet, Jan - thank you!

As Dimus noted, the camo paint looks like it has been applied with an actual air spray gun. I have not heard back yet from jim Pollak, so let's press ahead in the direction you are going. We'll fly these four paints of yours together in our SEA missions, and get video for you. One of us will act as FAC in T-28, OV-10 or A-1.

We surely do appreciate your time on this,

Toby

Jankees! Amazing work! Thank you! Our squadron and the real pilot will be very appreciative!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I'm glad you like it already, but it was (and is) still work in progress..
    I had been wondering why 56-3163 was so often referred to as 'Day Tripper':

and I added a few more details, like the name of the pilot and crew chief:

and different rescue arrows:

and played with the alpha to get better engine textures:

still a few small details to sort, but nearly there, unless you spot any glaring errors? I'll finish this one tomorrow and start on the next three..

That dose look superb JK , FSpilotshop running a MILVIZ running in with a special make me tempted , http://www.fspilotshop.com/milviz-10...5umt5aa1950eb4

56-3163 looks awesome, outstanding job that burnt paint on the exhaust area. What is the story behind the light blue bottom? Usually the SEA aircraft bottoms were painted light grey (FS36622).

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    What is the story behind the light blue bottom? Usually the SEA aircraft bottoms were painted light grey (FS36622).
    Category things to do and colourblind, thank you for pointing it out! It's the French underside colour. Never saw it was different...

Ok, here's four of them, hopefully now all with correct colors:

JUST BLOODY GORGEOUS ! JK .. simply something about this era and they actually used them in every possible way

JanKees, these paints are simply stunning, colors look right Are you considering a French camo paint as well ?

Members who have read this thread: 1