Barnstable Airport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnstable Airport

Barnstable Airport

A nice rendition of Barnstable Airport on Cape Cod. Done by John Loney and available on flightsim.com.

USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Some sad news to go along with this superb scenery. . .I had sent John an e-mail to congratulate him on the scenery work and I got one back just awhile ago. This will be his last scenery. He has decided to retire from scenery design and "take of into the sunset" in his words. That's a shame because John has done an amazing amount of scenery for FS9 and FSX and has put a lot of life into those "ho-hum" default airports. I believe he was even interviewed for a piece in flightsim.com. The scenery was compiled for FS9 and so will also work in FSX. Thanks for all your dedication and the fine work you've allowed us to enjoy!

Current System Specs:

Blog Entries
    I understand the decision, I quit building computers because I had just had enough of it. New hobby new day. John's craft will be missed! I am so grateful for the many things he has done for flight simulation.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Sorry to hear he is retiring. I too, have enjoyed his creations! NC

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    John actually mentioned in the readme file that this is his last scenery.

Having said that I have a small problem. I have installed the airport but for some strange reason I have no terminals or other buildings. I have my settings at Very Dense. I have tried different settings but nothing seems to work and I am wondering if I am missing a set of library files.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    John actually mentioned in the readme file that this is his last scenery.

Having said that I have a small problem. I have installed the airport but for some strange reason I have no terminals or other buildings. I have my settings at Very Dense. I have tried different settings but nothing seems to work and I am wondering if I am missing a set of library files.
    Pat, if you are using it in P3D (my shot is from P3D V3.4), you must load the Barnstable Scenery Library into MCX and compile it for FSX. John compiled everything using the FS9 SDK, that's why it doesn't show in P3D.

Current System Specs:

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Thanks Ed. Will have to learn how to use MCX. Always something new to learn .

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

LOL! Is it just me, or did anyone else reading the title of this thread think that RMB Chivenor was about to become a new regional airport?! Perhaps the Barnstable in the US could be known as New Barnstable?!

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Barnstable Airport??!! Anyone familiar with the West Country will get the joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    Barnstable Airport??!! Anyone familiar with the West Country will get the joke!

I once stood on the middle of the main runway in Chivenor next to a huge yellow SAR Sea King to do a photoshoot for the local newspaper... although RAF Chivenor is next to Barnstaple and not Barnstable... OK, I suppose a p is only a mirrored b in the horizontal axis...

A
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Quote Originally Posted by alehead View Post
    Barnstaple and not Barnstable

Yup.. when I saw the title, I thought Barnstaple too. The screenshot made it obvious but I gave myself a 'D'oh!'

ATB
    DaveB

I'm running this in P3D with Falcon409's mod, but some of the static a/c appear only as black shapes. Might this be because I haven't downloaded the AI package mentioned in the original readme?
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    I'm running this in P3D with Falcon409's mod, but some of the static a/c appear only as black shapes. Might this be because I haven't downloaded the AI package mentioned in the original readme?
    Most likely that's the case. I am rarely concerned with AI traffic and so I also failed to download the extra package. I noticed those aircraft that remained black while in MCX and it was because MCX was not able to locate a texture file which it should have had there been one in the texture folder. I removed those objects along with a few others I didn't want to have showing while doing a recompile separate from the one I uploaded.

Current System Specs:

I'm glad it's not just me. Can I remove them from the airport scenery? I've tried deleting the traffic.bgl but that didn't help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails textures.jpg  

Perhaps you need to remove every bgl with aircraft name from scenery folder. I think that will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    I'm glad it's not just me. Can I remove them from the airport scenery? I've tried deleting the traffic.bgl but that didn't help.
    What I can do is amend the object library once again to remove all static aircraft. The individual aircraft bgls are position bgls and don't contain any actual objects.

Current System Specs:

Toni is correct and I should have realized that when I said those bgl's were only "position" bgl's in other words they contain the information on the position of each aircraft on the airport. Naturally if you removed them. . . .you remove the aircraft. . .Doh! I did also remove those static aircraft from the scenery library bgl which reduces the size of the bgl somewhat also. Remember that along with the airplane models you also have the textures that go with them so those can also be deleted. That part is easy since the aircraft textures are dds textures and happen to be the only dds textures in the texture folder.

Current System Specs:

Thank you Toni and Ed. I realised that it couldn't be the AI file as missing AI aircraft don't cause problems. Trial and error deleting and reinstalling scenery bgl files took a little while, but I think I've narrowed it down to khya_cape air cargo aircraft.bgl and khya_cape air nantucket airlines aircraft.bgl. Without those two there are no black silhouettes.

David

An Update

I just read John's README and was very disappointed as you are all that he is "riding off into the sunset" as far as flightsim. I just finished flying into his KHYA airport yesterday afternoon from my ORBX Nantucket because both towers were online on VATSIM. Beautiful flight, nice ATC controllers and a smooth landing. I downloaded the Jeppsen airport chart and noticed that they have added LAHSO on both runways and want to update them from Google earth with the markings. I was hoping that John's email still worked but he probably doesn't want any flightsim emails so it has been de-activated and my email came back undeliverable. MY version of his KHYA is FSX native so it worked perfectly in P3D V4.5 with all the buildings and NO black aircraft. The airport chart layout is up to date except for the LAHSO and EMAS which I am going to add.

I am following John's README and will share the AFCAD compiled bgl. Here is the link at AVSIM for his updated FSX native version. Interestingly, FLIGHTSIM does NOT have this version only the FS2004 version that Ed writes about here. And this WAS his last airport for flightsim.

The excerpt from the README: Only this scenery can be bundled with any modification to the scenery as long as the proper credit is given to the author of the scenery and the original readme file is included. The libraries that were included with this scenery package may not be bundled with or modified with any other scenery without the permission of the authors.

Therefore here is the link to AVSIM FSX: https://library.avsim.net/sendfile.p...tp&DLID=199113 for you to download and when I finish updating the airport layout, I will give a download and you can replace just that.

BTW, when I was searching at Flightsim.com I found that someone has done a payware version which is FSX and P3D according to the author with photoreal airport background. It looks very nice but since this is so well done, I'm going to fly this version.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I just read John's README and was very disappointed as you are all that he is "riding off into the sunset" as far as flightsim. I just finished flying into his KHYA airport yesterday afternoon from my ORBX Nantucket because both towers were online on VATSIM. Beautiful flight, nice ATC controllers and a smooth landing. I downloaded the Jeppsen airport chart and noticed that they have added LAHSO on both runways and want to update them from Google earth with the markings. I was hoping that John's email still worked but he probably doesn't want any flightsim emails so it has been de-activated and my email came back undeliverable. MY version of his KHYA is FSX native so it worked perfectly in P3D V4.5 with all the buildings and NO black aircraft. The airport chart layout is up to date except for the LAHSO and EMAS which I am going to add.

I am following John's README and will share the AFCAD compiled bgl. Here is the link at AVSIM for his updated FSX native version. Interestingly, FLIGHTSIM does NOT have this version only the FS2004 version that Ed writes about here. And this WAS his last airport for flightsim.

The excerpt from the README: Only this scenery can be bundled with any modification to the scenery as long as the proper credit is given to the author of the scenery and the original readme file is included. The libraries that were included with this scenery package may not be bundled with or modified with any other scenery without the permission of the authors.

Therefore here is the link to AVSIM FSX: https://library.avsim.net/sendfile.p...tp&DLID=199113 for you to download and when I finish updating the airport layout, I will give a download and you can replace just that.

BTW, when I was searching at Flightsim.com I found that someone has done a payware version which is FSX and P3D according to the author with photoreal airport background. It looks very nice but since this is so well done, I'm going to fly this version.
    Bud, I believe you missed the memo, here: John B. Loney, Jr. passed away in 2019 (https://www.flightsim.com/forums/top...r-passed-away/)...

Cheers!

Yes I did

Quote Originally Posted by wolfebee89 View Post
    Bud, I believe you missed the memo, here: John B. Loney, Jr. passed away in 2019 (https://www.flightsim.com/forums/top...r-passed-away/)...

Cheers!
    Thank you for that update and yes I DID miss that memo. Still respecting his wishes and respecting those who contributed to this beautiful airport as I update the AFCAD.

Richard

Works Great In FSX

In FSX you can just download and install and use it. I want to use it myself in Prepar3D V4.5 so I converted the library bgl to native P3D and compiled the AFCAD as a P3DV4.4 so I can use it. I had the same problem as others with black aircraft so I removed all the aircraft positon bgls. I don't want static aircraft anyway they just use up memory. Next time that HYA and ACK atc are on line on VATSIM I'll fly again this time to or from the upgraded airport for KHYA. With the permissible sharing in the README, if anyone wants the airport bgl and the library bgl PM me and I will send it to you. You will need to download the Barnstable from AVSIM yourself and then substitute the P3D files. It works great for me.

Members +
    How different are FSX vs P3Dv4.5 bgl's?
    I know that there are differences with models in FSX & P3D, and often that;s a hit & miss, when some FSX planes work in P3D, but whose images are not displayed in P3D's library.

I had not realized that there could be scenery issues, as the FSX sceneries have worked in P3D, such as RTMM, Tongass & others.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Members who have read this thread: 87