Fixes for the Shupe/Carroll FSX native Beech 18 - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fixes for the Shupe/Carroll FSX native Beech 18

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    boys, this is all awesome. Can we get a consolidated updated download? I had this working wonderfully in FSX, but now use mostly P3D. Dont have the B-18 installed, but now reading this, am likely to give her a go again. But would like to get an updated version at one time, rather than multiple patches by various folks? is this a lot to ask? (mebbe so?)
    One of the guys I fly online with reported Saturday evening that it was working for him in P3D. I'd sent out an "AI" version of the paint I was flying so the guys could see it.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    One of the guys I fly online with reported Saturday evening that it was working for him in P3D. I'd sent out an "AI" version of the paint I was flying so the guys could see it.
    I can report that it does work in P3D. I'm using P3D_V3.4 and I've had no troubles at all. I did however change the prop bur (just personal preference).
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    An optional interior in the works. Eventually new carpet, side panels, seats, etc.

Great works sir but where are the yokes ?
    Francis
    Former french teen enthousiast of RF-101C on Laon AB

Quote Originally Posted by clovistrouille View Post
    Great works sir but where are the yokes ?
    Francis
    Former french teen enthousiast of RF-101C on Laon AB
    The can be hidden by clicking on it; unhidden by clicking a seat.

Looks great Ed.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Note: The latest release doesn't have the clickspots on the yokes since ModelConverter, for some reason, doesn't read or write them. You'll need to use the seats to toggle visibility.

It might be a while with me. I've got the metal to a point that I'm good with it, but still sorting out mapping issues and trying to figure what to do with that nosecap. For some reason, it's appearing in sim a good bit lighter than it is on the textures. My current thinking to just make it a separate layer and play with brightness on it until it matches in sim. And I've got some more detail work to do in other areas as well.

Ed, that VC panel is looking great. I was thinking about redoing it for personal use with an engine turned look or maybe some woodgrain. I've done that with Wozza's Gee Bee a while back and it came out ok. I think I can do it better now though.

But I have replaced the bare metal textures that came with it with the ones I did.
    No hurry. Slow aircraft, slow development speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    No hurry. Slow aircraft, slow development speed.
    Plus Flight 19's normal multiplayer operations must go on. We're trying to find our way around the Canadian Arctic and the GPS, VOR and ADF are all saying different things up there. And the GPS is wrong.

New Seats and carpeting are installed:

Current System Specs:

Ah, you know what..? You'll get your bloody f'in E18. By yesteryear. In payware˛ quality. With bump mapped birdcrap on the cowlings. And fingerprints on the instruments. And microscopical manufacturing defects in the cylinder heads that will influence the CFD-accurate heat transfer simulation to bring 101% realism into FSX. Don't forget the sloshing fluid simulation in the virtual pilot's bladder plus the stinking farts of man's baset friend in the first officer seat. And the virtual model your mother in law, lounging butt naked in one of the passenger seats, seductively calling out for you to "come back here, you naughty boy" every thirty or so seconds. I can't let that be freeware though. Price will be around $19999.99 (introductory offer with a 5% rebate) for the interior model alone.
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Ed sent me his updated VC textures and they'll find their way into the next release as a panel and interior variation.

In the meantime, I've been hard at work with the cargo version since the next days at work are going to be s-l-o-w. The original plan was to just rip out the seats and leave the crapper in, but I changed my mind halfway through (so that cargo jocks get the entire available length) and took the longer way around, which required extending the modeled interior past the toilet door and dealing with the portholes. Changing a model's geometry also requires adapting the texture mapping and then carefully editing the .x file at the right places (190000 lines!) to rip out the old and bring in the new.
    Anyway, I'm now trying to find an elegant way around having to model a lavatory. A low-poly curtain maybe? Anybody have a texture handy that does not involve downloading an entire aircraft and dealing with its auto-installer?

Which DDS file would have the chrome spinner hubs?

I believe it to be just under the props on the nacelle sheet.

I've been working on the railroad....

It's a fictional scheme on the Twin Beech (Santa Fe flew DC-3s and DC-4s), but with the striping going all over the front of the fuselage, it's a good one to help sort out the mapping. And the rest of the Flight 19 guys would be thinking I'm slipping if I didn't do one.

Thinking about doing a "movie star" next....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B18-2017-mar-30-001.jpg  

I've been working on the railroad....

It's a fictional scheme on the Twin Beech (Santa Fe flew DC-3s and DC-4s), but with the striping going all over the front of the fuselage, it's a good one to help sort out the mapping. And the rest of the Flight 19 guys would be thinking I'm slipping if I didn't do one.

Thinking about doing a "movie star" next....

Gérard

I believe it to be just under the props on the nacelle sheet.
    Hey Willy,

Last night I found it but went looking for it a second time and wasn't paying much attention to the file name. So I am at a loss trying to fine it again.
    Would that be located in the main Texture folder? I opened all the Nacelle dds files with DXTBMP and didn't see it there. I thought I had found it in an add on texture
    folder; went thru each and every dds file but no luck. So, I guess I must of found it in the MAIN texture folder but I opened all the nacelle dds and didn't see it there.

So, I'm looking for that chrome spinner in this picture. This is the norfolk texture that I think Gordon made before. If memory serves me, the spinners use to be black then
    when I applied Dave's fixes from Bjoern. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ative-Beech-18 #5

I remember seeing a sheet with a round chrome dome in the center of the sheet on top of a a square black background. Don't remember other objects that were on that sheet.

Anyone have a link to his Lockheed Loadstar for FSX?

I don't know if anyone has done a FSX Native conversion to Milton's Lodestar yet. If they do, I'll definitely be redoing some of my paints for the portover to take full advantage of the spec layers.

Most of my go to aircraft in FS have come from Milton.

Gray Eagle, here's a couple of screenshots. One in sim, the other the nacelles texture sheet.

I painted it hot pink to make it easier to find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B18-2017-mar-30-002.jpg   B18-2017-mar-30-001.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Anyone have a link to his Lockheed Loadstar for FSX?
    TDR, there is not an FSX native version of the Lodestar/Loadstar available but here are the FSX port over links.

There is also a non-reflective model update if interested.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=249&page=2
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Havent found it yet

I tried to enlarge your attached sheet to see what the name of the dds is and wonder if you got that from the main texture or a paint kit or what?

Here is as close as I come from the main texture, there isn't any thing like you colored in pink that I could find. Hummm....

BTW where can I get the paint kit from?

Gray Eagle unless I'm mistaken you have it on the sheet you posted. I believe it's the small rectangle just above the props. It matches what Willy posted, just shaped differently.

Current System Specs:

I think the sheet was flipped so I flipped it the other way so that it would match:
    Now that I found it, how do I chrome that area that Willy made pink? I noticed that a lot of the textures already have the chrome prop hubs yet when I open this sheet, it looks gray.
    Just trying to figure out what file/sheet is rendering the chrome hubs or how is this happening?

To make that bit super shiny chrome, just make that area very dark in the alpha layer, the darker the shinier (you can go overboard in this though). You'll also want it to be dark in the spec as well. Just a bit of trial and error.

If you have the original paint, you can "take it apart" to see how it was done using DXT/Bmp. Open it, export the alpha layer as a bmp and save. Save the original texture as a bmp as well. Do the same thing with the spec texture as well. Then you can compare that area in all four texture sheets and duplicate the effect. I learned a lot of tricks to painting that way. Good ol' reverse engineering.

The reason mine is shaped different is I redid the paint kit to my liking using the mesh mapping layer from the original paint kit. I kept the panel lines and rivets though to make the bump mapping work like it should. Normally, I redo those as well, but if there's bump maps, I leave them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    BTW where can I get the paint kit from?
    Bjoern has been including the original paint kit in the download. It includes the paint schemes from the original download which makes it easier to see how things are mapped out. It was in the original Dave Carroll download as well (where I got it from).

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I think the sheet was flipped so I flipped it the other way so that it would match:
    Now that I found it, how do I chrome that area that Willy made pink? I noticed that a lot of the textures already have the chrome prop hubs yet when I open this sheet, it looks gray.
    Just trying to figure out what file/sheet is rendering the chrome hubs or how is this happening?
    I'm sure you noticed this but just as a reminder, the main texture is flipped but the alpha remains as it should. Make sure they're both correct before saving.

Current System Specs:

To make that bit super shiny chrome, just make that area very dark in the alpha layer, the darker the shinier (you can go overboard in this though). You'll also want it to be dark in the spec as well. Just a bit of trial and error.

If you have the original paint, you can "take it apart" to see how it was done using DXT/Bmp. Open it, export the alpha layer as a bmp and save. Save the original texture as a bmp as well. Do the same thing with the spec texture as well. Then you can compare that area in all four texture sheets and duplicate the effect. I learned a lot of tricks to painting that way. Good ol' reverse engineering.

The reason mine is shaped different is I redid the paint kit to my liking using the mesh mapping layer from the original paint kit. I kept the panel lines and rivets though to make the bump mapping work like it should. Normally, I redo those as well, but if there's bump maps, I leave them alone.
    I'm assuming this is the file in question. This came from the norfolk texture and I circled the red looking object that I guess turns to chrome. Funny thing, it's red;
    Sorry, I am a bit behind the curve ball, but how does this translate to the chrome look? Does the texture.cfg file have any thing to do with it?
    I noticed that the prop blades are now grayed out.

Members who have read this thread: 2