Fixes for the Shupe/Carroll FSX native Beech 18
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fixes for the Shupe/Carroll FSX native Beech 18

Fixes for the Shupe/Carroll FSX native Beech 18

Need a testbed for a project and the Beech seems to fit the bill nicely. The FSX native conversion did come with some bugs though, so here's a small update.

Major issues fixed:
    1. Changed blend modes for the $VC gauge polygons. No more missing texture in DX10 mode.
    2. Fixed the startup.
    3. Silenced the fuel pumps.

Plus some more minor stuff.

Download:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks to Dave for converting the model.

I suppose any paints for the old FS9 models work in terms of mapping?

And can anyone suggest some good freeware sounds for this bird?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Need a testbed for a project and the Beech seems to fit the bill nicely. The FSX native conversion did come with some bugs though, so here's a small update.

Major issues fixed:
    1. Changed blend modes for the $VC gauge polygons. No more missing texture in DX10 mode.
    2. Fixed the startup.
    3. Silenced the fuel pumps.

Plus some more minor stuff.

Download:

Thanks to Dave for converting the model.

I suppose any paints for the old FS9 models work in terms of mapping?

And can anyone suggest some good freeware sounds for this bird?

Bjoern,

Thank you so much for doing this. :-)

I use the Gary Jones sounds he created for the AT11; awesome stuff-same engines.

Not sure if it is available separately but the AT-11 is in the library here.
    Use the link in my signature to find it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Hello Bjoern,

Major issues fixed:
    Thanks for the update of that much bellowed aircraft, but you should also delete the extension of the night texture $VC names for both internal models... ModelConvertorX is not happy, looking for $VCnn.BMP ...

Gérard

You're very welcome, Milton and thanks for the hint about the sounds!

Gérard, thanks for the tip! Gave this a try and the VC seems to finally light up as intended!

Here's a further modified version.

- Implemented Gérard's suggestion
    - Panel, cockpit flood and cabin lights independently controllable
    - The switches on the co-pilot panel are now fully functional
    - Added a co-pilot camera
    - The yokes may now be toggled on/off

Download:

NOTAM: Old repaints are not compatible with Dave's model, but he included a paintkit.

And thanks again for the sound recommendation, Milton. Those are much better.

SOH-CM-2020
    NOTAM: Old repaints are not compatible with Dave's model, but he included a paintkit
    There are several sets of textures for this model at either Flightsim or Avsim.

fsx_beech_18_corporate.zip at Avsim
    fsx_beech_d18s_repaint_six_pack.zip at Avsim
    beech_d18s_c-fhza.zip at Flightsim

Thanks Bjoern for bringing this FSX version to our notice.

Pete.

NOTAM: Old repaints are not compatible with Dave's model, but he included a paintkit.
    Some of the liveries compatible with this version :

- Search Beech C-45 Navy here on SOH - two nice liveries
    - beech_285.zip (French AF), beech_701.zip, beech_709.zip (French Navy) on Avsim
    - beech-d18s_c-gzse.zip, beech_d18s_hb-dot.zip, beech_d18s_c-gzce.zip at Fly Away

Gérard

Bjoern
    Thanks for doing this. It is a great aircraft for Prepar3D with the exception of the starter - at least for me. I have never been able to get most parts of the cargo or amphibian version to work in Prepar3D in case you are feeling really ambitious.
    Appreciate your efforts.
    Warren (aspen31)
    Last edited by aspen31; March 23rd, 2017 at 06:59.

Bjoern,

Are these changes cumulative or do I need to install both sets?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Bjoern and Milton, I downloaded and looked the new package over very closely. For the life of me I couldn't see any difference in the dates and size of all the files. The download files size is also exactly the same. Wondering if the wrong file 2 got uploaded.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

And thanks again for the sound recommendation, Milton. Those are much better.
    Bjoern, I agree; those AT-11 sounds that Gary put together are the ultimate in realism IMO. Takes flying the D18S from the sim and puts it in the real world.

It's fun flying this again; been a long time for me. I really like the flight model power usage. Once cleaned up after take off, you can pull power back to 32" and rpms back to 2000 and she'll carry on, quite "torquey". Cruise settings will get you better speeds at lower MAP and rpms as well while being fuel efficient.

EDIT: Should also mention not to overdo the trim on take off; it really slows down the climb out speeds. The closer you get trim to zero, the faster she goes.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Bjoern and Milton, I downloaded and looked the new package over very closely. For the life of me I couldn't see any difference in the dates and size of all the files. The download files size is also exactly the same. Wondering if the wrong file 2 got uploaded.
    I can't speak that; will have defer to Bjoern for that. I only used the latest update files.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by aspen31 View Post
    I have never been able to get most parts of the cargo or amphibian version to work in Prepar3D in case you are feeling really ambitious.
    Thinking about ripping out the seats and putting in the boxes from Milton's cargo version, but this is a bit tedious when using nothing but ModelConverter.

Not a chance for the amphibian.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Are these changes cumulative or do I need to install both sets?
    Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    The link, no matter where I posted it, always points to the most current release since I use Google Drive's version manangement.

Thinking about ripping out the seats and putting in the boxes from Milton's cargo version, but this is a bit tedious when using nothing but ModelConverter.

Not a chance for the amphibian.

The link, no matter where I posted it, always points to the most current release since I use Google Drive's version manangement.
    Thanks Bjoern.

You know, I have the FSXA SDK installed except for the gmax 1.2 version that came with it. I use FS9's gmax 1.2 for FS9 development on the C: drive.

If I get the FSXA SDK Gmax 1.2 version installed on my FSX E: drive , I can do some of these native conversions myself (after a significant learning curve, mind you).

Anybody know if I can have two different gmax 1.2 installations, each on a separate drive. I don't want to mess up my FS9 development setup.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The cargo version is the one I've always liked best. Boxes don't scream in terror.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Just curious if the Shupe/Caroll FSX Beech 18 is available anywhere else but FlyAway Simulation? It's a massive file to be downloading through that bottleneck. (Over an hour here)

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Just curious if the Shupe/Caroll FSX Beech 18 is available anywhere else but FlyAway Simulation? It's a massive file to be downloading through that bottleneck. (Over an hour here)

It's at Flightsim ....

FSX Beechcraft D18S/SNB
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: b18dc05.zip
    Size: 176,359,825 Date: 06-02-2010 Downloads: 15,241
    FSX Beechcraft D18S/SNB. This is a full FSX Acceleration SDK compliant version of the Beechcraft D18S originally produced by Milton Shupe and Scott Thomas and is provided with their permission. All of the operating features of the original and more are included in the new FSX models. The FSX stand alone package, including an installer, is by Dave Carroll.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    It's at Flightsim ....
    Thanks Pete! I got to digging and found it that I already have it but for some reason never got around to installing it. (Probably to do with my old FS9 paints not working with it) And the paint kit as well. I've got it in the paint shop at the moment with my old Merc Air seeing what I can do to bring that up to FSX standards.

Hope to get it installed this evening when I've got more time.

Since all available download sources are quite slow, here's a package of the entire aircraft(!), including Gary Jones' AT-11 sounds, the paintkit, my previous and these new fixes:

- Added missing effects, both in DX9 and DX10 flavor
    - New cockpit glass (based on the exisiting bitmap name)
    - Animated rain on most windows
    - Added nucleus for cockpit switch sounds

I hope all involved parties got their due credit in my readme.

Download:

All future updates will be complete releases, though I might ditch the paintkit (280 MB!) at one point to cut down dowload size.

The previously posted download links to the updates are, from now on, invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    You know, I have the FSXA SDK installed except for the gmax 1.2 version that came with it. I use FS9's gmax 1.2 for FS9 development on the C: drive.

If I get the FSXA SDK Gmax 1.2 version installed on my FSX E: drive , I can do some of these native conversions myself (after a significant learning curve, mind you).

Anybody know if I can have two different gmax 1.2 installations, each on a separate drive. I don't want to mess up my FS9 development setup.
    Yep, that's possible. I still have GMax in FS9 and FSX flavor installed along each other on the same drive.

The hardest thing about converting models is "translating" custom XML code from FS9 into FSX syntax and getting to grips with Modeldef.xml organization and a few pitfalls along the way (such as the need for four keyframes for a wheel or prop rotation animation). Other than that, it's not much more than busy work. First thing is separating exterior from VC, then there's materials. If you have Hiroshi Igami's "Select by material" script installed, assigning the new FSX material is quick and easy. Unless you want to get the specular and bump map to look "just right" in the simulator. Then, you need to make sure that ALL animations have keyframes, before using the AnimationManager to assign the proper tags. After that, it's AttachpointTool time to assign effects, mouse rectangles or visibilities.
    The first conversion might take some time (>12-16 hours), but with some experience, you manage to convert both exterior and interior models in around ten hours or less. Unless you find that you screwed up some XML code somewhere and constantly need to restart GMax, then it's twelve or more.

The cargo version is the one I've always liked best. Boxes don't scream in terror.
    Will check out what can be done.

See above. I even included the paintkit for you.

Thanks!!!!!

Beech D18 with shcockwave lights

Sure do like the fixes made to the Beech D18
    If interested, Here is the script to add shockwave lights to the B D18

[LIGHTS]
    // types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    // 6=Taxi, 7=Recognition, 8=Wing, 9=Logo, 10=Cabin
    light.0 = 3, -0.6, -23.400, 1.796, fx_shockwave_navred , //Shockwave Red Nav Light
    light.1 = 3, -0.5, 23.400, 1.696, fx_shockwave_navgre , //Shockwave Green Nav Light
    //light.2 = 3, -24.3, 0, 3.700, fx_navwhi , //Not Used (rear nav light built into model)
    //light.3 = 4, 5.00, 0.00, 2.250, fx_vclight , //Not Used
    light.4 = 10, 2.70, 0.00, 2.050, fx_vclight ,
    light.5 = 10, -3.70, 0.00, 3.250, fx_vclight ,
    light.6 = 1, -17.68, 0.00, 4.150, fx_shockwave_beacon_rotating_red , //Shockwave Top Beacon
    light.7 = 1, -0.1, 0.00, -1.400, fx_shockwave_beacon_rotating_red , //Shockwave Bottom Beacon
    light.8 = 5, 0.3, -10.250, -0.9, fx_shockwave_landing_light_low_old , //Shockwave Landing Light
    light.9 = 5, 0.3, 10.250, -0.9, fx_shockwave_landing_light_low_old , //Shockwave Landing Light

Gary Jones' AT-11 sounds really do sound nice to this Beech D18

Pics are Beech in P3D V3.4

Beech with shockwave lights

More pics of the Beech D18. Gary Jones' AT-11 sounds really do sound nice with this D-18 Thanks to all involved with the fixes.

Where can I find that repaint right there???

Oh Yes! Just took my first spin in the FSX Twin Beech. It's like meeting an old girl friend you haven't seen in years and finding out she's gotten better with age. And the Gary Jones sounds are much better. I saw a Twin Beech doing aerobatics at an airshow a couple of years ago, and the sound is spot on.

Now to see about doing a repaint or 24

Members who have read this thread: 2