FSX does not restore from taskbar after minimizing

Thread: FSX does not restore from taskbar after minimizing

FSX does not restore from taskbar after minimizing

I made an fsx reinstall today on my new windows 10 laptop.
    When I now minimize fsx, the icon comes on the taskbar as normal. But when I want to reopen the program, I can hoover over the icon and a kind of miniscreen shows up. However when I push a mouse button (left or right) the program does not restore again.
    I can make a bypass by going to the taskmanager and double click there, but that can not be the way to do it.
    Does anyone have a solution?
    Thanks.
    Marcel

ALT+TAB?

Dave

Yep, that happens on my win10 too. No solution as far as I know.

#138 of the things that FSX won't do correctly.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

It does happen in other operating systems too.
    For me it doesn't happen very often.
    My solution in Windows 10 is to maximise it using Task Manager and then drag
    windows size down.
    After that, it works
    Last edited by ncooper; March 20th, 2017 at 14:21.
    Regards,
    Nick

Since Windows 10 basically forced me to run FSX in borderless windowed mode*, I don't have to deal with that annoyance anymore.

* https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderles...leases/tag/8.4
    (This tool will resize any program window to get rid of the title bar and borders.)

Here is the one I use.

Category: Flight Simulator X - Utilities
    Pseudo Full Screen Autohotkey Script
    File Description:
    This is a small autohotkey script: pressing Win+F11 maximizes any window and removes the window title bar, buttons and borders; pressing Win+F11 again restores the window to its previous size and position. This makes flying in 'full screen' possible whilst still having access to addons on a secundary monitor. Autohotkey needs to be downloaded and installed first.

Filename: pseudo_full_screen.zip
    License: Freeware
    Added: 16th April 2011, 12:36:20
    Downloads: 3115
    Author: Maarten Boelens
    Size: 1kb

Regards,
    Nick

I've been able to go into Task Manager, select the FSX process, and right-click to bring up a menu where I can select Maximize. Cumbersome, but it works.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

It is a windows 'thing' and its origins go back to Windows 3.1 it is an issue with the way windows draws a box around a program and that arose when MS basically copied IBM's X-Windows to develop GUI Windows displays. I have never found a fix but it is unpredictable. The only way I can fix it is to use TASK MANAGER and force a swap to the FSX program which should show as running, sometime this will not work either so use TASK MANAGER to shut it down, log off and restart the program. This is a legacy issue which I think will carry forward forever it may be an addressing issue vs a vis the display driver but I cannot find the answer but for some reason FSX will generate this problem not frequently but now and then.

Sorry cannot be any more help other than the process I use above which works, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Guess that's what you get when you go from 8 to 16 to 32 to 64 bit systems and basically underneath is now a hybrid DOS/UNIX platform overrun with JAVA, HTML etc. you get the picture. This is also the reason I am remaining with Windows 7, I would ditch it tomorrow for a LINUX/UNIX platform except I can't due to FSX and another legacy program I also run (LOTUS). I only use Windows as an operating system and everything else is not MS (and deleted from the system permanently), and I mean everything, browser, office programs, video-media etc. etc., life is a lot more peaceful this way. You really get tired of being the home systems adminstrator and help desk with MS.

If your running a laptop then your a bit stuck as they always ship these with Windows as that is what business uses. I do not have a laptop anymore but ditched it when smart phones arrive, just a desktop for FSX and media everything else in this house happens on android thingys

thanks

Thank you for all your information and efforts.
    I remember having encountered this issue before, and some one gave me a simple stupid solution to deal with the issue.
    But unfortunately I have forgotten what it was. It was just a 1 position switch in a menu and Tataaaa...
    I seem getting too old for these things.
    Cheers
    Marcel

I seem to have found 1 solution. Not perfectly happy with it, but the best until now: hoover with the mouse over the minimized fsx icon; an fsx miniscreen shows up; put the mouse pointer in that miniscreen; the normal size fsx window shows up; push the enter button and voilą....
    Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Since Windows 10 basically forced me to run FSX in borderless windowed mode*, I don't have to deal with that annoyance anymore.

* https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderles...leases/tag/8.4
    (This tool will resize any program window to get rid of the title bar and borders.)
    Interesting Bjoern. I use Pseudo Full screen and wonder have you compared the two and your findings if you did.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I still run FSX on a Windows XP SP3 machine and although it does not always want to restore from the taskbar, it does that enough to make me think twice about minimizing.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Interesting Bjoern. I use Pseudo Full screen and wonder have you compared the two and your findings if you did.
    Win+F11 doesn't work for me, so PseudoFullscreen isn't an option (unless I missed something).

Besides, both methods require a small tool running in the background, so there's not much of a difference in the first place.

Besides, BG supports "favorites", so if you have FSX running and start the tool, it will automatically find and resize the window (unless you're replacing the window's titlebar with something like FSUIPC's VAS display).

I experience a similar issue If I am running FSX in full-screen and have "alt tabbed" to a different program screen for something.
    If FSX doesn't come back up when I re-select it, I hit ALT TAB until it is highlighted and then hit CNTRL ALT DEL and open Task Manager, which I then immediately close (i.e. within a second or two) and FSX pops back up again.
    If I don't close task manager before it pops up FSX still runs fine....it just means task manager is still active in the background, using some resources.

Members who have read this thread: 0