Spitfire problems

Thread: Spitfire problems

Hybrid View

Spitfire problems

Hi guys;
    just recently tooled around in some Spitires and seemed to notice something strange. ALL and I mean ALL, from AH to BSK to PR, have a performance problem. They don't seem to want to get above 140 MPH and will only climb to about 7000 feet, stall and fall. THAT is not what a true Spit was capable of. I just finished reading a book titled "Spifire Pilot" which was a reproduction of the writings of a Spitfire pilot in the BOB and entries were made daily and he wrote about battles above 25000 feet and how high performance the a\c was. The pilot died just after the BOB, when his plane crashed into the sea from causes unknown.
    So anybody experience the poor performance or do all my planes have problems. Any updates I missed for these planes?

Are you adjusting mixture as altitude increases?

JD...

yes, I have been trying but my rig seems to have three settings, take-off, stop and mid is for appears to be cruise. Fustrating!

Hi Fibber,

I have a fair number of Spitfires in my Hangar. Mostly for FS9 and FSX. If you let me know which specific ones you are having trouble with, I would be happy to test fly them on my rig and report back results for comparison purposes.

One general thing to be careful about with Spitfires is prop pitch. Fine pitch for takeoffs and landings. Coarse pitch for cruising at altitude.

Here is a good reference page about prop pitch:

http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/...wing/props.htm

Best regards,
    Melo

Melo....

thanks for the comeback and offer. I have tried the pitch also. That resulted in no difference. The book I related to the author had written about the settings for proper handling of the Spit so I was aware of the fine and coarse factor. I'll let you know about the testing in a PM, through here, if that is okay with you.

Sure, no problem. Glad to help if I can. Any reason to fly another Spitfire is a good one. :-)

Members who have read this thread: 0