Commuter aircraft loses propellor approaching YSSY

Thread: Commuter aircraft loses propellor approaching YSSY

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

Commuter aircraft loses propellor approaching YSSY

Sydney Kingsford Smith International airport was temporarily closed around lunch time today when the pilot of a REX SAAB 340 on a flight from Albury (YMAY) to YSSY radioed that the starboard propeller had sheared off. He radioed that they still had full control and wold carry on to land.

The incident occurred around Camden as the aircraft was about to begin its approach to runway 07. The plane with 16 passengers and 3 crew landed at about 1205 and as the news reader commented the arrival was actually on time.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

As one would expect Pat!
    No word so far regarding the Essendon incident last month, an outstanding example of why large buildings should never exist in a flight path.
    The whole 'Urban Sprawl' should never have been allowed without a buffer zone around Essendon, as for the freeway......
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

They were fortunate it was the starboard prop, as at least it was slug away from the aircraft.

Come to think of it, that's a very good argument for all twins to have contra-rotating engines...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Well no need for autofeather. The Army had a King Air lose a LH prop years ago, after that I've always worried about the RH side coming off and slicing the cabin up.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Well the propeller was found today in a bushland reserve in the Sydney suburb or Revesby. Looking at the video taken from the POLAIR helicopter it appears that the prop in intact and in reasonably good condition. Even the propeller blades are still straight. Apparently the aircraft was on an approach to R7 at YSSY. It appears to have overflown the airport and turned north towards the Hawkesbury River in order to join the approach for R16R which is over 12000 feet long. Sounds like a bit of overkill but when thinking about it, it would be appropriate as they would have been unable to use reverse thrust. 6REX SAABs have been grounded and more could be.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Looks like gearbox output shaft failed.
    Picture in this thread at Pprune
    http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...australia.html

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 0