MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

W O W..........AMAZING!!!!!!

Patrick

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

***Virpil Has a TomCat Grip Pre-Order Up***

Hello VIRPILs!
    We’re extremely excited to announce the upcoming pre-order availability of our VPC WarBRD and ACE Rudder Pedals, as well as the VPC V.F.X Grip! In this 3-part announcement we would like to introduce you to these new items as well as provide information on the pre-ordering process.
    VPC V.F.X Grip
    The VPC V.F.X Grip is our latest addition to our expanding lineup of interchangeable grips and our first Western fighter grip! This grip is based on controls found in the aircraft developed for the Naval Fighter Experimental program.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1200x715.

1200×715 646 KB

The VPC V.F.X Grip features a number of unique features:

• Dual-stage trigger
    • 4-way weapon select w/ push
    • DLC thumbwheel axis - spring loaded return to the center (Contactless digital sensor)
    • Paddle lever axis w/ physical push button at 100% (Contactless digital sensor)
    • 8-way ungated POV hat w/ push
    • 3 x momentary push buttons
    • All metal twist axis (Contactless digital sensor)
    • Twist axis lockout
    • Compatible with all VPC bases
    • Compatible with TMW base (Twist axis, Paddle lever and DLC thumbwheel will respond as buttons)

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1200x715.

1200×715 561 KB

During the development of the V.F.X Grip, we’ve built on past feedback we’ve received from the community to provide the best grip experience to date! This includes using digital contactless sensors for all grip input axis, providing unparalleled input accuracy.
    We also wanted to satisfy as many VIRPILs as possible regarding twist axis input - after discussing with members from the community we know that a twist axis can be quite a divisive addition! The VPC V.F.X Grip includes our all metal twist axis mechanism (with VPC contactless digital sensor) for those without pedals, however we have now implemented a twist lockout for those who wish to block this axis entirely.
    We’re also aware that many VIRPILs use our grips on their existing TMW base units, because of this we’ve done our best to ensure that the grip will operate on the TMW base with the caveat being that all grip axis (twist axis, DLC thumbwheel and paddle lever) will respond as button inputs instead due to limitations with the TM base units. For full grip functionality it will be necessary to use a VPC base!
    Product pages and pricing information will be posted on 21st June!

Patrick

That looks pretty awesome, and it even fits the Warthog base, which is great. It does look a bit too plastic to me (not sure if it actually is) and it is not cheap for just a baseless stick. If I was going to get another grip, which I am not seriously considering, I would go for the Hornet grip over this one.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

I couldn't help myself....I pre-ordered both this and The Hornet Stick....I do spend most of my DCS time in these two and The Harrier...Trying to justify my DCS Impulse buying

Patrick

Good stuf Patrick. Let us know what you think of them both when you get them. I am getting more and more tempted to get the Hornet stick, as I have finally started spending some hours in the Hornet in VR over the past few weeks, and I am absolutely loving it. I love all the missions that have been created for it, they are really in depth and immersive. I haven't done much in the F-14 yet apart from startups and carrier takeoffs, so looking forward to spending more hours in the F-14 too. I have so much to do in DCS World. I have never flown half the campaigns I have purchased for multiple aircraft. And now I'm thinking about getting the Harrier during the Summer sale......
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Scott. My group has some buddy lasing for hornets using the F-14 in MP with a human RIO. It's really immerssive....HIGHLY recommend. Really cool experience.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    Good stuf Patrick. Let us know what you think of them both when you get them. I am getting more and more tempted to get the Hornet stick, as I have finally started spending some hours in the Hornet in VR over the past few weeks, and I am absolutely loving it. I love all the missions that have been created for it, they are really in depth and immersive. I haven't done much in the F-14 yet apart from startups and carrier takeoffs, so looking forward to spending more hours in the F-14 too. I have so much to do in DCS World. I have never flown half the campaigns I have purchased for multiple aircraft. And now I'm thinking about getting the Harrier during the Summer sale......
    I will let you know what I think about the 2 grips,The Hornet grip should be out next month....while The V.F.X Grip could be as much as 3 months...maybe longer since a member of The DCS Community caught a mistake on the weapons selector.

BTW...The Harrier is Amazing!!! and at 50% off is a steal!!

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Scott. My group has some buddy lasing for hornets using the F-14 in MP with a human RIO. It's really immerssive....HIGHLY recommend. Really cool experience.
    Sounds great Rick. I don't do much multiplayer flight simming, or any really. Up until a few months ago I had only played a few hours in Eve Valkyrie which I got free with the Oculus Rift, and that is pretty much all multiplayer. Last September (? roughly) I bought Battlefield 1 after a workmate convinced me and now I play multiplayer in that about 2-3 hours every single night, and more on the weekends. I have never played any game so much as I have played multiplayer in BF1. I must give MP a go in DCS World one day, but I need to build up my single player hours first.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom88 View Post
    I will let you know what I think about the 2 grips,The Hornet grip should be out next month....while The V.F.X Grip could be as much as 3 months...maybe longer since a member of The DCS Community caught a mistake on the weapons selector.

BTW...The Harrier is Amazing!!! and at 50% off is a steal!!
    Sounds great Patrick. I am envious

I think you have convinced me regarding the Harrier. Trouble is it will probably be another 12 months before I jump in it. I still have several campaigns I want to do for the A-10C, Mirage, F-5E, Viggen, and I have LOTS of flying yet to do in the Hornet and Tomcat. I need to spend less time in Battlefield 1 and more in DCS World!

***The Big Cat got lots of Love in today's OB Patch***

DCS F-14B by Heatblur Simulations
    • Fixed potential CTD when TCS scans an object without a 3D model
    • Fixed Jester doing only one action when asked to perform a series of actions of the same type
    • Fixed negative values (formatted as large positive 32bit integer) showing up for TID contacts' altitude
    • Fixed bad limiter input on fuel probe yaw moment
    • Fixed Jester radio tune and similar commands
    • Fix to Jester stuck in the TCS mode (no TID repeater bug)
    • Fixed CMS readiness not syncing properly in multicrew
    • Fix for the F-5 being displayed as 'U' on the RWR
    • Make time less relative (multiplayer clock fix)
    • Small fix to Jester missile detection
    • Fixed AI Wings swept forward on spawn
    • Adjusted AI oversweep collision model
    • Kneeling and launch bar fixes for the AI
    • Fixed nose gear strut collapsing on touchdown for the AI
    • Fixed broken gear animations
    • Retweaked some lights intensity
    • Potential fix to right engine not starting after damage bug
    • Reduced drag in turning situations
    • Reduced rudder roll power from 15-40 units AOA
    • Added more nose down at high ct with flaps up
    • Reduced pitch rate damping overall, but increased pitch rate damping with flaps
    • Reduced pitch with power effect at high Ct
    • Reduced drag vs pitch rate at high alpha
    • Tweaked pitch rate damper fade out at high AOA
    • Increased lift vs pitch rate
    • Added pitch acceleration based damping and AOA rate pitch damping
    • Added narrow limit on pitch rate damper and increased strength
    • Adjusted Phugoid Damping
    • Added slight extra nose down moment with power/flaps up
    • Fix to pitch oscillation induced blackout issue

Patrick

Virpil VFX Grip

<strong>

Patrick

***Open Beta Changes for Tomcat***

DCS F-14B by Heatblur Simulations

• Slightly increased G at which wing structural failure will occur
    • Adjusted pitch moments for flaps, speedbrake and power
    • Adjusted yaw damping with flaps down
    • Fixed wing sweep program indicator in bomb mode
    • Bomb mode now doesn’t stick
    • ASH better handles spawn heading errors on carrier
    • Fixed INS drift due to DCS reporting different aircraft heading before and after spawn.
    • Fixed ASH wrong wind calculations, fixes bomb fall line inaccuracy at high wind speeds.
    • Installed anti-lag filter in the INS alignment routines - should reduce INS drift from lags.
    • Fixed afterburners being invisible - pending further improvement
    • Fixed invisible RIO DDD lights
    • Fixed invisible TID HCU light

Patrick

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=248138&page=2
    ***Small Update***
    From Cobra
    "
    The Forrestal will launch this year- not sure which month exactly yet."

Patrick

Heatblur Development Update - The Road to Full Release

Dear All,

Half a year has now passed since the release of the F-14! It’s time to give you an update on our current development status, priorities and what the future holds in store for the F-14.

First of all, thank you so much for the incredible support! The feedback we got from you was nothing short of overwhelming, from the many praiseful words you’ve bestowed on us to the incredibly committed and detailed feedback and criticism: thank you so much. Being part of this community has been the experience of a lifetime, and all of the hardships of development have been worth it. Let’s go over some of our current priorities and development changes. Recent shipped changes are of course included in the patch log as always, but just to recap, here are the changelogs from the past three patches:

Overview
    Generally, we are currently still prioritizing major bug fixes. This is now slowly changing and we’ve started shifting focus back on the new additions to the module, as well as the introduction of the remaining features and content.

Making sure that we’ve corrected most of the major issues and given ourselves a good starting point for the addition of new features has been an integral part of our F-14 post-launch sustainment plan. One critical part to this is to make sure that we never try and keep a game-breaking or immersion breaking bug in the aircraft for too long. Your experience matters to us- and prioritizing this over new features will keep the road forward smooth. Hopefully, we’ve now reached a point where we can begin to introduce new features with confidence and with minimal introduction of new issues, so that the F-14 continues to feel like a stable product.
    Jester LANTIRN
    This feature is rapidly nearing completion, and we are now in the final phase of its development. We will make a separate update on this feature before release. This has been a very challenging task, but we believe we’ve found a good way to make JESTER operate the LANTIRN both quite independently, but also at the pilot’s command and disposal. Weaving this functionality together in an immersive and realistic way has been integral to our efforts.

One core component to this effort has been to make a new human emulation system for the way JESTER will actually utilize the LANTIRN controls. This includes simulating the way a human would search an area and avoiding any sort of robotic jankiness. This has proven to be a challenging endeavour. Search patterns that make sense and feel authentic have been developed as part of this effort.

Certainly, communication with JESTER is key to achieve your goals. The player will be able to tell JESTER to look at either a Waypoint, coordinates or a map marker, and command the area and size of the area to search in. You will be able to instruct JESTER to e.g. prioritize SAMs or armor or ships - and much more. All in all, we hope we’ve found an appropriately immersive and functional way to integrate JESTER Lantirn, and we hope you’ll enjoy this feature once it launches. Currently, the last remaining items are to record the remaining voice lines required for this and run the feature through a few final cycles of testing.

TWS Auto
    This feature has undergone significant refactoring internally. As some may recall, it was disabled just prior to release as it was not very reliable and there were specific mathematical issues we had difficulty solving. We decided to completely rewrite this feature as part of a partial refactoring of various radar code.

Some more work and a lot of testing is still required, however, if all goes well this should be available in open beta by early November. This will add TWS attack steering (steering tee on HUD/VDI/DDD/TID) to the centroid of the targets, as well as aim the TWS radar search pattern in the correct direction to maximise target coverage. Re-developing this feature has been a major development effort and we’ll be pleased to finally get it in your hands.
    JESTER
    JESTER has already received a couple updates, like the recently introduced new elevation function. Further updates are in progress, including improved IFF and close combat SA.

We’re also working on new energy calls as well as suggestions for the player when to switch to the Pilot Acquisition Modes. This will make him sound less “unable”, and hopefully also teach the player better about the limits of the AWG-9, as these suggestions will come in situations when it is hard for the RIO to keep up with the radar, which is frequently the case at close range.

We’re continuing to work closely with the multiplayer PvP and SP community to find new and useful ways to increase Jester’s usability and utility. It goes without mention that many smaller tweaks to functionality, logic and other elements are still ahead of us.
    AIM-54
    We’re pleased to note that we’re finally able to use the new missile API to control the AIM-54 active mode from the F-14!

These changes are currently live in our experimental build branches, and we are currently testing to ensure that everything works as it should. Here is a brief summary of what these changes include. We’ll delve into more depth once this feature is ready to ship:

• TWS with range >10NM: LTE 3s, loft, SARH/DL, missile goes active at 16 seconds time-to-impact
    • PDSTT with range >10NM: LTE 3s, loft, SARH/DL, missile does not go active (SARH/DL all the way to target)
    • TWS or PDSTT with range <10NM, or PH ACT selected: LTE 3s, no loft, active directly after launch
    • PSTT or BRSIT or (ACM cover up with no track or PSTT or PDSTT): LTE 1s (unless STT and angle >15deg then 3s), no loft, active immediately

This also means the in-flight missiles with TWS will no longer go active if tracking is lost, the F-14 is destroyed, the radar is disabled (..etc), before 16s TTI. However, the WCS can keep a track file stored for up to 2 minutes (for targets under missile attack) and send an active signal to the Phoenix pointing it into the target’s likely position, if the track has not updated for a certain time.

We’ll continue testing the Phoenix and ensuring that it behaves as accurately to the real thing as possible.
    Art
    The art team has been prioritizing the completion of some of the bigger workstreams that currently remain for this part of the product. These include the completion of the Forrestal class carriers (yes- still shipping for free for all!), the F-14A engine nacelles, nozzles and other adjustments, the A-6 (and future KA-6), and much more.

Some of the critical elements still outstanding that are due to ship very soon include the digital EGIT, various minor corrections and fixes, correcting the custom cockpit option, new afterburners, and several other high priority items. The Forrestal class carriers will launch later this year. Get ready to land on a real postage stamp!

Some of the features that will launch in Q4 include;

• Corrected Custom cockpit options
    • Digital EGIT (-B)
    • Forrestal Class Carrier
    • Various tweaks, adjustments & fixes (holes, smoothing errors, etc.)
    • The dreaded HGU-33 visor knob.
    Flight Modeling
    The F-14B flight model is also nearing its completion. We’ve created an entirely new testing system that supersedes our previous automated testing. This will allow us to more effectively tune and tweak the remaining elements of the model. Our new testing framework has quicker turnaround times and delivers more detailed metrics.. We will release an overview on the flight model tuning once we are done, so everyone can follow the changes that we made and to better understand them.

Not only during development, but also over the past half year our SMEs have been extremely active in giving us feedback almost on a daily basis, which at this point requires a massive thank you from us, to them. It is not so common that a person would devote so much free time and passion to a project like ours, and we feel extremely blessed. We believe that getting so much devoted and dedicated pilot feedback is absolutely critical to our development process, and we cannot stress enough how lucky we are to have such incredible SMEs.

Multicrew, RIO Inputs & more
    We are close to completing a major refactoring of the way inputs are handled between the front and rear cockpits. This is a significant change to our codebase, and will solve a few key issues, as well as allow for a cleaner delineation between pilot and RIO inputs.

This refactoring will solve the key and critical issue of Jester not re-activating after a player disconnects. Further, it will disallow any RIO keyboard inputs from the Pilot’s cockpit. For this reason, we’re keeping this feature entirely in our experimental branch until JESTER LANTIRN is fully implemented; so as to not remove the utility of the current SP LANTIRN modification, which will stop working.

While we understand that some of you have become reliant on this modification; we are sticking to our design principles of handling all RIO functionality through JESTER or through multicrew.
    Campaign
    Work on the -B campaign is underway and it is slated for completion by the end of Q4. It is set in the late 80s, around the fall of the Berlin Wall and tries to recapture a realistic scenario of what could have happened.

Though fictional, it will be kept close to missions that were realistic to be flown by Tomcat pilots at the time and is meant to portray the various tasks a real Tomcat pilot and RIO would have found themselves in. The campaign will revolve more heavily around air to air, but if you want to get a feel for what it will be like (approximately), you can try the quickstart mission “Watching the Devildog”.

This first campaign will release for the Caucasus theatre, and will eventually include a Co-Op version.
    F-14A
    Development on the F-14A is progressing in parallel to the finishing work on the F-14B’s flight model. Current focus is on building a new engine model for the P&W TF-30 engines; which have a number of unique characteristics and piloting considerations. We are closely conferring with our SME’s, who flew -As for many years on getting an appropriate grasp of these engines and the impact they had on the aircraft.

Overall, the work on the -A is progressing at an appropriate pace and focused on several key areas, namely:

• New P&W TF-30 engine model
    • Refactoring to split the F-14 into two aircraft
    • Bullet Fairing for TCS
    • New, F-14A specific liveries
    • ALR-45 RWR, sounds and graphics
    • Nozzles, Nacelles, antenna changes
    • Minor Flight Model Adjustments
    Viggen
    We’ll keep the update short and sweet on the Viggen as there’s been way too much talk, and not enough walk. It will launch out of EA by the end of Q4. The Campaign is now finished, and is undergoing testing. Other features that will be included in the final (1.0RC) version of the Viggen include;

• New Sounds
    • In-cockpit Pilot body
    • New, overhauled PBR exterior textures
    • Various minor fixes, adjustments and tweaks.

Beyond RC1 for the Viggen; we will be focused on backporting features developed for the F-14. These include new afterburners, effects, and other elements currently in development for the F-14.

The Viggen is not a second rate citizen for us. Our priorities are now aligned so as to launch these remaining items without question later this year. Our sincere apologies for it taking longer than expected!
    There is more that we’ve not touched on in this update (e.g. J-35 AI) - but we’ll be sounding off through updates and through another development update throughout Q4. Stay tuned.

As always, thank you for all of your support. Your patience, passion, persistence and commitment is what makes us tick. Thank you for letting us be a part of this community and letting us develop your favourite aircraft.

Sincerely,
    Heatblur Simulations

Founder & Lead Artist
    Heatblur Simulations

Patrick

***NEW F-14 TOMCAT GRIP FROM VKB/HEATBLUR COMING***

We’ve teased it before, but the time has finally come for our great friends over at VKB to start production of their F14 Tomcat replica grip. If you already purchased our DCS F14 then you are eligible for a 10% discount on the VKB Tomcat grip. Haven’t had a chance to check our module out? Don’t worry, we won’t leave you hanging. Purchase the VKB Tomcat grip and receive a $10 discount on the DCS F14… This is not a stick designed to look somewhat like the Tomcat stick, it’s based on our 3d scans of the real deal and intended to mimic it as closely as possible. Please see the press release from VKB below:
    Quote:
    THIS is the state of the art F-14 Tomcat grip that is now officially announced as it is entering production stage.") Please put on your helmets, fasten your belts, and get ready for the take off.
    F-14 Tomcat grip turned to be one of our most interesting products (joint project with Heatblur , supported by Eagle Dynamics ).The grip is a veritable replica, exact to a fraction of a millimeter. Prototypes were checked and approved by the real veteran F-14 pilots of Heatblur team.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1200x1019.

Making a replica grip wasn’t easy, as we couldn’t alter the shape or size of the device, nor the controls’ layout. However our engineers set their creativity free when it came to internal design of the grip. We didn’t want to make a lookalike device, somewhat resembling the original. Instead we wanted to deliver the spirit and feeling of this legendary warbird with her feline nickname.
    The very touch of this grip is supposed to wake up the memories – or, bring up the images – of the glorious service Tomcat did to the world.

• Rubber inserts for a no slip firm and handy grip
    • Metal ammo switch, hat, and emergency autopilot disable trigger
    • Long travel soft click buttons
    • Modular hat design (fully dismantleable, all buttons user replaceable)
    • Ammo switch design based on contactless sensor
    • DLC maneuver wheel design based on contactless sensor
    • Two-step trigger design based on cam mechanism – similar to that used in real life war planes
    • Lockable contactless sensor twist mechanism
    • 32-bit APM controller as the brain of the grip

Now, where are we, and how it translates into simple words?
    We have finished the molds. Here they are, the real beauties. Perfection in every curve!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1200x595.

Our engineers need a few weeks to finalize the surfaces adding texture and making tiny invisible tweaks here and there.
    We’re planning the first copies roll out in early-mid November. There will be pre-order open in November; RRP is marked at 189 USD (base not included).
    Those who already purchased F-14 module from Heatblur will enjoy 10% off this price; those who consider buying that module will have 10 USD off the price of the module with the purchase of the VKB F-14 grip.
    New VKB F-14 grip is breaking into the gaming devices market. We know: we did it right, and we’re proud of our new creation. Hope, you can join us and share our pride and happiness!
    P.S.

An attentive pilot has probably noticed something interesting in the picture of the grip… What could that be? - Great question. Please stay tuned for more news: a new announcement is coming soon.

Patrick

Great news on the Big Kitty's future! Thanks for the updates (software and hardware)!

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

***First Impressions of The Virpil V.F.X Grip***

Received mine yesterday,Here are my first impressions,And I need to first state that I've been using The Thrustmaster F/A-18C Stick for a few months so I'll be comparing the two.

It feels about 60% lighter than The TM Stick ,and a lot less Bulky.The Buttons are all working but lack a responsive feel, The trigger seems to lack any pressure and feels a bit cheap,and toy like.

The Weapons Selector switch is very nice and easy to use,I love how you'll need to "Unlock It" or push In then Up to take it out of "Off" mode....This seems like such a '60's-'70's type of "Safety" of that Era....**It reminds me of an Old Chevy Muscle Car with a Manual Transmission,You needed to do something similar to put it in reverse**.

The Paddle Lever is Super Nice and easy to use,It feels twice as big as the The TM Stick.

Installation on to a TM Warthog base wasn't as easy as The TM sticks, As there's no "Keyway" to match up with the Stick and The Base.You'll need to be very careful to match up the internal pins and not damage them.
    It also came with no users manual or button description

**So to Sum it up,after only a few hrs of use and coming from The Thrustmaster F/A-18C Stick The Virpil V.F.X Grip is a bit of a let down....It just doesn't have a quality feel and button response that I'm used to....
    Also The Payment option at the time was a bit of a Headache as you needed to use a Third Party Lithuanian Bank to make your Purchase.
    That and the fact it took over four months from time of payment to time of delivery was also a bummer as it was promised within 90 days.**

I would have to recommend if you are already using a Thrustmaster Stick to wait till The VKB/Heatblur Stick comes out and gets some reviews before buying The Virpil Product.

Patrick

Thanks for the feedback/review Patrick. Sorry to hear the quality isn't great. It does look cool though. I really like the weapons select switch. That's a unique aspect of that stick. Hopefully the stick grows on you and it actually functions well.

I got my TM Hornet stick a few weeks ago, but haven't even taken it out of the box yet, apart from a quick peek when it first arrived. I am in an uncertain state at the moment, on whether to get some type of mount to mount it in the centre as it (and the Warthog stick) should be. Not sure if I should be that fussed, considering I fly everything from the Warthog and Hornet, to the F-16, which has a side stick, and 737s, A320s, Cessnas etc etc.

Cheers,

Great all around podcast about The F-14 with a fantastic interview with Heatblur at the end.
    https://omegataupodcast.net/

Patrick

Not my paints...but IMO very high quality, even though fictional.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

A couple of fictional ones from me...I thought this was a cool angle...

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 4