Modifications for the Flysimware Learjet 35A
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modifications for the Flysimware Learjet 35A

Modifications for the Flysimware Learjet 35A

These have been out a for a while, but on the off chance that some of you guys fly this one...

Features:

• Load/save functionality for the cockpit state
    • Slow spooling engines
    • Optimized system gauge
    • Partially realistic simulation of the electrical system
    • Realistic autopilot vertical modes
    • Key control gauge for some custom functions of the Learjet (no FSUIPC required!)
    • VSWXR implementation
    • Callsigns for manufacturer and model (requires Editvoicepack)
    • Resized and recompressed shared textures to lower VAS usage

Download (always links to the latest version):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...gyVUJpaTQ/view

I have this but have not got around to using it too much so far. I must check these out . These your mods Björn?

Andrew Entwistle
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Yep.

Keep in mind that the aircraft is a bit of a VAS hog due to large textures and all the animated switches.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Yep.

Keep in mind that the aircraft is a bit of a VAS hog due to large textures and all the animated switches.

Thanks for the update Bjoern.

Unfortunately I can't use this Lear for more than a couple of minutes at a time until I get the dreaded "Out of memory" notice.

Any idea if this can be fixed please?

Thanks.

Pete.

DIY fix for the steering lock in the current mod release:
    http://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/50...omment-3592547

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    Thanks for the update Bjoern.

Unfortunately I can't use this Lear for more than a couple of minutes at a time until I get the dreaded "Out of memory" notice.

Any idea if this can be fixed please?
    Yep, the aircraft is a memory hog par excellence and just about the only thing to improve matters is installing the reduced VC textures. If that still doesn't help, the texture size has to be further reduced b running the textures through TextureManager (from stuff4fs.com) and cutting their resolution by half. Generally, avoid detailed, high resolution sceneries and textures when flying this aircraft.

And to be honest, I could never complete a flight so far. There's something very wrong under its hood, but only the developer can fix it.

Bjoern, I just want to thank you for all the work you have put into this. Some time ago, I built myself a high end computer system so I did not experience the VAS problem with this aircraft during the short time I flew it.

I flew the Lear 35A for about 6 years in the USAF (C-21) and have been quite impressed with the Flightsim model with one notable exception--the erratic behavior of the autopilot vertical modes.

When I ran across this post the other day I downloaded your package, installed it, and have been flying the airplane ever since. Your fix has been just what the doctor ordered to rejuvenate this bird and make it one of the very best in my hangar!

Quote Originally Posted by blkbart View Post
    Bjoern, I just want to thank you for all the work you have put into this. Some time ago, I built myself a high end computer system so I did not experience the VAS problem with this aircraft during the short time I flew it.

I flew the Lear 35A for about 6 years in the USAF (C-21) and have been quite impressed with the Flightsim model with one notable exception--the erratic behavior of the autopilot vertical modes.

When I ran across this post the other day I downloaded your package, installed it, and have been flying the airplane ever since. Your fix has been just what the doctor ordered to rejuvenate this bird and make it one of the very best in my hangar!
    Thanks!

Since you've got stick time in the real thing, what do you think about the flight dynamics?
    My armchair pilot experience finds she climbs a little too well and the requirement to keep some power applied during descents also seems a bit odd. But this could be a case of "reality is unrealistic".

Compared to many of the other flight simulator models I have flown, I think the Flight dynamics are pretty good. Having said that, I think there is room for improvement to achieve more realism compared to the real aircraft--if indeed there are not flight sim limitations that would preclude that. For example, on climbout I would expect to to see a given climb rate at 250 KIAS at maximum continuous power setting (N1) and see that climb rate gradually lessen during the climb until the speed crossover to Mach climb is made. At that point, I would expect the pitch angle of the aircraft to increase initially to maintain the Mach number and the climb rate once again to decrease gradually until level at cruise altitude.

Although I have not flown the real aircraft since 1989 and some of my "recollections" may be suspect, I kept my checklists and some notes on how we flew the aircraft in the Air Force. Descents from altitude were made with enough power to maintain Vmo at 3000 fpm rate of descent. This kept the deck angle comfortable for passengers and made it easier to plan required crossing altitudes. If required, you could come down at idle power and the pressurization system would maintain the cabin altitude.

Just for the fun of it, I recently made some test flights to get an idea how the Flightsim Lear 35 performed compared to to the real thing. According to the "book", a 18,000 pound airplane on a standard day at sea level should climb to 35000 feet in 13:25 from brake release.

Using your modified Air file and fuel_flow_gain adjustment, plus a change in jet engine thrust_scalar from 1.0 to .97 the airplane made 35000 in 13:30.

Thanks again for doing what you do.

So the model isn't that far off. Quite a surprise, to be honest!

How does cruise performance compare?

And disregard the ITT gauge, it won't ever provide realistic numbers except at higher power settings.
    The problem about flight dynamics is that tuning one thing will break another.

Certainly very true on the ITT gauge. I do not remember using that gauge for climb setting but the only other thing I can find in my old checklist is the max continuous power setting chart. I did stumble upon the Flightsim section yesterday over at Avsim and read through the threads. I noticed that little information is known about the FC530 autopilot modeled in the Flightsim Lear 35A.

At www.avialogs.com I found A FlightSafety publication "Learjet 30 series Pilot Training Manual" with some good information in it including a table that outlines differences in the autopilots: the older FC200 vs. the FC530 installed in later models.

Of note are the functional differences between the vertical IAS and MACH modes:

FC200, SPD (SPEED), "When selected, the flight director will command a pitch attitude that will maintain the airspeed existing at the time of mode selection. Power must be set by the pilot."

IAS-- Illuminates at altitudes up to approximately 29,000 feet.
    MACH--Illuminates at altitudes above approximately 29,000 feet.

FC530, SPD (SPEED), "When selected, the flight director will command a pitch attitude that will maintain the airspeed existing at the time of mode selection. Power must be set by the pilot."

IAS--Illuminates when the SPD mode selector is first depressed. The existing IAS is maintained.
    MACH--Illuminates when the SPD mode selector is depressed a second time. The existing Mach number is maintained.
    Note--"The switch will cycle between IAS and MACH starting with IAS on intial engagement.Therefore to disengage the mode, anotherr pitch mode must be engaged, or momentarily move either control wheel trim switch (without depressing arming button) in the noseuo or nosedown direction. In the flight-director-only mode, SPD is disengaged with activation of the pitch sync switch."

So the way it is supposed to work is select MACH on climbout at 32000 feet where 250KIAS=.70 MACH and continue a smooth climb to level off. For some reason in the current simulation, 250@32000=M.62

Next, I will take a look at cruise performance. As I understand your post from Avsim there is not any point in looking above 36089 feet.

Cheers,
    Sam.

Howdy,

switching between SPD and MACH by a second press is not possible since the button code doesn't support it, so you're stuck with the automatic mode change at 29000 ft.

Did you test the mach/IAS switchover comparison in ISA conditions? And did you read the mach value from the ASI? If so, the gauge might not be well calibrated.
    The mach disk is driven by some custom code (in SYSTEM.xml), but it's quite hard to come up with a solution that ends up in the same value range to satisfy the animation requirements in the 3D model.

And yes, MSFS' atmospheric modeling basically stops at 36000 ft. Everything above that is just more of the same.

Yes, I did test the switchover comparison in ISA conditions and the mach value came from the ASI.

Here are the results of normal cruise for one hour at 35000 ft:

Source- USAF tech order 1C-21a-1/Normal Criuse 35000 ft/ISA/weight 17000 lb/Mach 0.77/KTAS 431/fuel pph 1290 lbs.

Results: fuel burned 1418# at KTAS 431/FSX OAT -54C/aircraft OAT guage -32C/ aircraft fuel flow guage 750 pph//aircraft readout Mach.73.

I like the airplane and appreciate the work put into it by the developer and yourself.

Looks like the fuel consumption is a bit too high. Might help to lower the Fuel_flow_scalar from 1.552 to 1.41 (at least that's what my calculator tells me).

Thank you. I will do that.

New revision.

- Fixed the non-working engine shutdown
    - Added low-memory cockpit night lighting
    - Updated the callsigns for all controller voices
    - Included a fix for an inoperative rudder when the steering is locked

Download, as usual:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...ew?usp=sharing

Read the manual, blah, blah...

New revision.

- The mach hold PID controller is slightly less sensitive now. This makes it slightly less accurate, but (hopefully) less prone to extreme outputs.

- Tried to improve the precision of the mach disk at high speeds and altitudes.

- Added a quick reference card containing checklists and the most important performance and limitation tables. Comes in really handy!

- An experimental .air file with better (more realistic?) engine performance. Lots of guesstimations due to little available references, but the gauge indications will look more like the real thing during cruise flight. Fuel consumption is pretty much by the book now.

Download, as usually:

New revision.

All documented changes from the Learjet's 2.9 update are in (provided they've affected the mods), as well as a small fix for the electrical system.

The experimental FDE has been refined as well. Time to altitude figures are in the ballpark and the engines are not prone to run hog wild anymore. Moments of inertia were recalculated as well.
    Note that the FDE is now based on an aircraft.cfg that doesn't include any changes made by the mod package (e.g. electrical system). So you won't need to install the mods when you want to give it a try. If you want to use mods, install it first.

Download link, as usual:

New revision.

Just an update for v3.0. Nothing exciting to report but this:

Users of the load/save module, mind the new titles for the default repaints (rename your save files accordingly!) and - more importantly - remove the slash ("/") from "RDR/GTN" or "RDR/GTS" in the "title=" line of every repaint. This is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL because the save module otherwise won't work!

Updated files: Aircraft.cfg of the experimental FDE (new default repaint entries), System.xml and Loadsave.xml.

Download, as usual:

Are these mods for fsx or for prepar3d? I tried these twice, and both times fsx stopped working. I had to reinstall the plane twice. I followed the instructions to the letter.

Cees

Theoretically both. I don't have P3D for testing, but haven't heard anything from others.

The Windows error log shows the faulting module when FSX has crashed. Helps more than a mere "made FSX crash after installation".

I now its not legit but i use another vc from a twin engine jet

Ive been using the hawker850 and most of the aircraft cfg

For me.its has the features from the updated 850 it runs smooth and i have a fmc

If your willing to get past the look it might another option
    Last edited by jeansy; October 12th, 2017 at 17:08.

Would've understood if it was the cockpit from Bill's 24B or XP's 25, but a Hawker? That's more than wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Would've understood if it was the cockpit from Bill's 24B or XP's 25, but a Hawker? That's more than wrong.
    Yeah i know but no different to some of the wrongs some unnamed developers release in intial releases

the carenedo hawker vc has great frames and the passenger cab length is the closest in thier range and i want the fmc option

To honest after buying the fsxpackages addon for it, i want bang for buck

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    Yeah i know but no different to some of the wrongs some unnamed developers release in intial releasesk
    Apples and bananas!

Members who have read this thread: 3