A question for the REAL experts here...

Thread: A question for the REAL experts here...

A question for the REAL experts here...

Most sources say that the Glenn Martin 167F, in other words the French version of the XA-22 which subsequently became the Martin Maryland, was fitted with Wright R-1820 Cyclones rather than the Pratt and Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasps which were used on the demonstrators and on the later British aircraft... And yet I'm not convinced, if only because the engine cowlings remained unchanged. Other aircraft which switched from one to the other - the Hawk-75 comes to mind - had different cowlings for each engine.

And then I found this, which shows a French 167F during the Battle for France. That engine looks to me like a PW R-1830.

Below, an R-1820 Cyclone:

And an R-1830 Twin Wasp:

If you look at the way the ignition circuit hides the bolts on the one but not on the other, you'll see what I mean.

Can anybody advise on this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

A further photo of the same aircraft:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

The R-1830 is a 14 cylinder twin row, and the R-1820 is a 9 cylinder single row. It certainly looks like a twin row radial in those, so I my money is on the R-1830.

My thoughts exactly! It's getting rather confusing...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I may have the answer in an AeroJournal magazine but I don't have access to them at the moment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Everything I have lists the R-1830-SC3G Twin wasp of 1,050 HP. This for the French and the 75 Maryland Mk Is that went to the RAF.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Thanks! Looks like that's it then.

I wonder why so many sites mention Cyclones though... Urban legend?

Wikipedia:

"The prototype Model 167W was powered by twin-row Pratt & Whitney R-1830-37 Twin Wasp engines, which were replaced in French production aircraft by single-row 9-cylinder Wright R-1820 Cyclone engines (the Twin Wasps were then restored for the British Maryland)"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Why the hell are you working on such an obscure aircraft?

the best source seems to be the pdf book "Monografie Lotnicze 96 Martin 167 Maryland" though it looks to be writen in Polish. The engine and gun names still pop out at you though.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    Why the hell are you working on such an obscure aircraft?
    Some odd bloke sent me one because he didn't know what else to do with it... Can't think why!

Good book, although Polish has a lot of unexpected consonants in it. They must be frighteningly good at Scrabble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Members who have read this thread: 0