PA-22 virtual cockpit

Thread: PA-22 virtual cockpit

SOH-CM-2023

PA-22 virtual cockpit

Hi All,

I just discovered Bill Lyon's PA 22 Tri-Pacer. (its amazing the stuff you find when looking around your hard drive) and went ahead and installed it. Fun aircraft for VFR flights but it has this weird issue with the virtual cockpit where the gauges have some sort of transparent layer that moves, I guess to simulate shaking of the cockpit or something. Is there anyway to remove it? or stop it? It is really distracting. Otherwise its a pure joy to fly.

Thanks,
    Sean
    Last edited by jackryan172; March 7th, 2017 at 10:59.

No promises, but I'll see if I can get Bill to stop by and give a little input.

Edit: D'OH!!! I was thinking of Bill "Lionheart" Ortis! Sorry...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members +
    Thanks for reminding us about Bill Lyons (& Lynn).

I actually have all of their add-ons installed in my 'Golden Wings'. Most, if not all of them come with a story, as well as other stuff, boats, cars to compliment the story/mission, as well as radios, playing period music.
    I've always regarded Bill as being one of the forgotten kingpins of our hobby, with a unique selection of addons.

Do you have Active Camera with head latency activated?! That might produce the effect you described.

I know of head latency because I have Active Camera, but I've never used head latency.

I have flown the Lyons Tri-Pacer without any such trouble, so if that isn't the cause it must be something fixable.

SOH-CM-2023

Here is a sample of what I am talking about

look at about the 3:25 mark. the glass in the gauges appears to move, that's the phenomenon Im talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u12ad_65U4

Sean

It looks like reflections on the glass faces of the gauges, moving only when the plane is flying.
    Mark

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    It looks like reflections on the glass faces of the gauges, moving only when the plane is flying.
    Yes!!That is the behavior I am seeing . Is there any way to turn that off?

Sean

Hi,
    Swap out the gauges for some without shine, perhaps.

Andy.

I've downloaded it and put it in my sim, I have to say it's a real gem. The reflections are meant to be there to add to the realism. Bill and Lynn Lyons were top of the shelf designers in those days, their quanlity was payware like but all made freeware.
    I suspected that the reflections might be mapped to a texture so had a look in the textures folder and yes, sure enough there is a single texture for it and it looks like it might be possible to remove the reflections. It needs to be run through a paint program and DXTmap to do that. I'll give it a go and see what happens.
    Mark

SOH-CM-2023
    I've downloaded it and put it in my sim, I have to say it's a real gem. The reflections are meant to be there to add to the realism. Bill and Lynn Lyons were top of the shelf designers in those days, their quanlity was payware like but all made freeware.
    I suspected that the reflections might be mapped to a texture so had a look in the textures folder and yes, sure enough there is a single texture for it and it looks like it might be possible to remove the reflections. It needs to be run through a paint program and DXTmap to do that. I'll give it a go and see what happens.
    Oh thank you sir! I will be more then happy to be a beta tester if needed.

Sean

Just letting you know that I'm still working on it. I made the texture completely clear, but it did not work and the reflections are still there.
    Mark

Reflection removed successfully. I have attached the replacement bmp(s) options.

One gives brighter, whiter gauges while the other leaves gauges with original darker appearance but without the reflections.

Hope this helps.

Note that the movement of the reflection seemed to be controlled in the model file the same as with the key chain so the bmp change was necessary to eliminate the effect.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

black is white and white is black

Thanks very much for these replacement textures Milton. Impressive stuff given the work you are involved with at present. These textures work great.

On my PC the 'black/black' texture is lighter and clearer whilst the 'black/white' texture is the darker and more indistinct.

Tks again Milton, cannot wait until the Havoc and Mauauder hit the skies - amazing work and in which you are constantly raising the excellency bar!

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Reflection removed successfully. I have attached the replacement bmp(s) options.

One gives brighter, whiter gauges while the other leaves gauges with original darker appearance but without the reflections.

Hope this helps.

Note that the movement of the reflection seemed to be controlled in the model file the same as with the key chain so the bmp change was necessary to eliminate the effect.

I see that Milton has already got it worked out and posted up the new replacement textures. I had been looking at the wrong texture and couldn't figure out why it wasnt working. By the time I realised it and found the right one and made the changes Milton had already done it!
    My new replacement textures would have been the same as his anyway. Go and enjoy the new replacement textures!
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Thank you Milton. Your new bmps also work well in Bill's fine Luscombe. Thanks again.

SOH-CM-2023
    Oh thank you Milton! It is awesome, works great, no more distraction. Thanks to everyone who helped on this!

Sean

SOH-CM-2023
    I see that Milton has already got it worked out and posted up the new replacement textures. I had been looking at the wrong texture and couldn't figure out why it wasnt working. By the time I realised it and found the right one and made the changes Milton had already done it!
    My new replacement textures would have been the same as his anyway. Go and enjoy the new replacement textures!
    Thanks Mark, I do appreciate your help.

Members who have read this thread: 0