Update Douglas_C-47_Beta_V3.14 feedback and support topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update Douglas_C-47_Beta_V3.14 feedback and support topic

Hybrid View

Update Douglas_C-47_Beta_V3.14 feedback and support topic

Please post any feedback or support questions here.
    Thanks.
    Regards,
    Nick

Ta- would it be possible to tie the center dot of the Artificial Horizon in with the wings, so that they are on the same plane (pun intended)? That would help with manual IFR.

Best- C

I did my first dawn flight in the Paratroop model and it looks like there is a bug in the panel lighting system. When the red cabin lights are on, the red and green jump switches are labeled correctly, but when the UV lights are turned on, the labels change to the usual passenger signs (No Smoking and Fasten Seat Belts).

Bill

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I've installed this updated aircraft, and have no problems activating the UV cockpit lights. What I'm stumped with are the red cockpit lights. I have found what looks like the appropriate rotating switch in the pilot's overhead panel, but turning this switch "on" with the battery active, or on ground power, produces no result.

Perhaps you did not yet add the effect fx_vclight_c47v3.fx to the Effects folder?
    You will find it and the engine start up effects included in an Effects folder in the download.
    Last edited by ncooper; February 26th, 2017 at 23:14.
    Regards,
    Nick

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Perhaps you did not yet add the effect fx_vclight_c47v3.fx to the Effects folder?
    You will find it and the engine start up effects included in an Effects folder in the download.
    Thanks, I'll redownload that and install them in effects folder, then check.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Redownloaded the updated aircraft and reinstalled everything other than the aircraft itself. This time, for some reason, the proper effect "took" and everything is nicely bathed in a sultry red light for nocturnal operations.

Thanks again for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by billhuntsman View Post
    I did my first dawn flight in the Paratroop model and it looks like there is a bug in the panel lighting system. When the red cabin lights are on, the red and green jump switches are labeled correctly, but when the UV lights are turned on, the labels change to the usual passenger signs (No Smoking and Fasten Seat Belts).
    Bill
    Hello Bill,

It looks like you are right.
    I have made the correction and attached the two files which should be placed in
    Douglas_C-47_Beta_V3.14\texture.Paratrooper.
    They should be included in the next update.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ncooper; February 27th, 2017 at 03:37.
    Regards,
    Nick

Unable to remove chocks?

In some installations users find it impossible to remove chocks even though Monitor says they are off.

Has me totally puzzled atm, but let's investigate further. This happens with which FSX version? Consistently or intermittently? Could you try chocks ON/OFF with Parking Brake ON/OFF?

Edit: Does this (exclusively) happen when in multiplayer mode?

Thanks!
    Last edited by mjahn; February 27th, 2017 at 03:14.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    In some installations users find it impossible to remove chocks even though Monitor says they are off.

Has me totally puzzled atm, but let's investigate further. This happens with which FSX version? Consistently or intermittently? Could you try chocks ON/OFF with Parking Brake ON/OFF?

Thanks!
    I don't know if it will help but in my case with FSX-A boxed, this happens when I switch to a saved C&D C-47 v3.14 flight from any other aircraft. If I launch FSX and go straight to the saved C-47 flight the sticky chocks are not a problem. I don't use multiplayer. Thanks for your effort in looking into this further.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post

Thanks!
    happens about every second flight with FSX...none multiplayer

Hello Bill,

It looks like you are right.
    I have made the correction and attached the two files which should be placed in
    Douglas_C-47_Beta_V3.14\texture.Paratrooper.
    They should be included in the next update.

Thanks, Nick. I appreciate the quick response/solution.

I have seen the instructions for installing the green or blue cockpit textures, but I have another question. What is the procedure for assigning the Paratrooper panel (with jump lights) to another repaing, such as Tico Belle?

Thanks for starting this feedback thread. After the first few dozen flights I have one bug and one observation for improvement.

The bug is that the altimeter pressure setting appears to not work correctly. With a pressure of 30.2 when I set the field altitude the pressure reads 28.6. And the opposite with a pressure of 28.6 with the altitude set correctly the pressure reads 30.2. Check Makro Specials and Pick n Pay Specials. Therefore I can't set the altimeter manually while in flight except with the cheat key and then it reads wrong when I do.

The observation is that the RMI should not work unless the inverter is switched on, according to most DC-3 manuals I have read.

Thanks for all the hard work making this the most impressive freeware ever and flat one of the most impressive simulations for FSX/P3D EVER.

Dutch

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ceo1944 View Post
    Thanks for starting this feedback thread. After the first few dozen flights I have one bug and one observation for improvement.

The bug is that the altimeter pressure setting appears to not work correctly. With a pressure of 30.2 when I set the field altitude the pressure reads 28.6. And the opposite with a pressure of 28.6 with the altitude set correctly the pressure reads 30.2. Therefore I can't set the altimeter manually while in flight except with the cheat key and then it reads wrong when I do.

The observation is that the RMI should not work unless the inverter is switched on, according to most DC-3 manuals I have read.

Thanks for all the hard work making this the most impressive freeware ever and flat one of the most impressive simulations for FSX/P3D EVER.

Dutch
    We'll take both issues along in the final update. Thanks for the tips !

Say, Dutch, any news on the Sperry AP ?....

cheers,
    jan

Another small issue for the update, as long as we are talking about instrument functions, is that the OFF switch for VOR2 (and possibly others) is only partially functional. If the switch is off, you cannot tune the frequencies, but the VOR2 needle remains active. In other words, if the VOR2 radio frequency is set to a VOR in range, the needle tracks that VOR even if the radio is turned to the OFF position.

Regards.

Bill

I just wanted to say what a fantastic freeware aircraft! Quite exceptional!

Expect an email from me shortly! Trying to get the next version of FSCaptain out right now, then tons of other stuff I have on my plate, but the Sperry shouldn't take long if we tag it right. I'll send instructions. I have the code just need to marry it to the instrument properly.

Speaking of which, here's the new beta featuring the incredible V3.14 DC-3 in the latest video I just made today as a tutorial for FSCaptain alpha testers: https://youtu.be/wFrlqstKCig

It's attacking a fire on a misty low-ceiling day near Olympia WA.

Enjoy! Feel free to post this movie link around if you want to.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    We'll take both issues along in the final update. Thanks for the tips !

Say, Dutch, any news on the Sperry AP ?....

cheers,
    jan

Thanks.
    First, a big thanks for this aircraft. It is my favorite, over and above the others (including payware).

I have roughly 40 hours flight time in v3.12. I did two flights yesterday (2hrs or so in total) in v3.14. I noticed the following issues (I hope I recall all the figures correctly):

1. I had an issue with chocks not dissappearing regardless of the setting in the control panel. However, they did dissappear on the second flight. I cant reproduce this anymore so I am not sure why they went away exactly. Now everything seems to work correctly.

Audio checklists:

2. When I start the "Before starting" checklist with parking brake set the co-pilot fails to recognize this. It does not help to release the break and set it again. However, if I release it and start the checklist again by clicking on the checklist title the co-pilot calls-out the parking break item, I set it, and the checklist proceeds correctly.

3. The co-pilot does not say "XXX checklist complete" anymore. It was a nice feature in my opinion.

4. Similarly to (2) I was not able to initate "After takeoff" checklist once in the air with gear up. Clicking on checklist title or the first item (gear) triggered the callout ("Landing gear"), but the checklist did not progress even though the gear is up. The checklist resumed if I tapped `g` twice quickly to lower and raise the gear.

The remaining observations I havw were taken when flying in clouds with -18C OAT, departing from KGTF (3680ft MSL), cruising alt 10'000ft. I tried to set up a similar flight today, but was able to replicate only (7). I was flying with real weather yesterday so it is possible I did not set all the weather parameters correctly today.

5. When applying full throttle on takeoff I was getting approx. 42'' MP (end of green arc) instead of 50+'' (end of yellow arc, as in v3.12). Is this intentional?

6. I did not turn carburator heat on from the start (I guess I should). Couple of minutes after takeoff the engines went suddenly to idle. There was no early warning of icing (should there be?). I turned carbheat and both anti-ice switches on, and the MP and RPM went slowly back up after some time (I almost crashed). It never happended to me with v3.12 before.

7. When flying at 10k feet at full throttle, mixture at auto-lean, and ~2100 prop RPM with carbheat and both anti-ice switches ON I noticed that I was able to get 32'' MP max (I think it was more in v3.12 as far as I recall).

8. Moreover, the MP seemed to slowly decrease over time. All in all, i was able to achieve only about 120kts IAS. It is less than in 3.12.

Perhaps some of these updates were intentional and I am just a lame pilot still :/ Nevertheless, I hope the above helps to make this marvelous aircraft even better!

Thanks!

Exhaust flames

Would like to see the startup effects include both the smoke and the flames from exhaust pipes.

Now, those effects were brought back and borrowed from V2 and added to the V3,14 beta effects.

The smoke effect works in P3d but the flame not so much. see # 78 for pictures.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...leased-!/page4

Quote Originally Posted by utmost View Post
    First, a big thanks for this aircraft. It is my favorite, over and above the others (including payware).

I have roughly 40 hours flight time in v3.12. I did two flights yesterday (2hrs or so in total) in v3.14. I noticed the following issues (I hope I recall all the figures correctly):

1. I had an issue with chocks not dissappearing regardless of the setting in the control panel. However, they did dissappear on the second flight. I cant reproduce this anymore so I am not sure why they went away exactly. Now everything seems to work correctly.

Audio checklists:

2. When I start the "Before starting" checklist with parking brake set the co-pilot fails to recognize this. It does not help to release the break and set it again. However, if I release it and start the checklist again by clicking on the checklist title the co-pilot calls-out the parking break item, I set it, and the checklist proceeds correctly.

3. The co-pilot does not say "XXX checklist complete" anymore. It was a nice feature in my opinion.

4. Similarly to (2) I was not able to initate "After takeoff" checklist once in the air with gear up. Clicking on checklist title or the first item (gear) triggered the callout ("Landing gear"), but the checklist did not progress even though the gear is up. The checklist resumed if I tapped `g` twice quickly to lower and raise the gear.

The remaining observations I havw were taken when flying in clouds with -18C OAT, departing from KGTF (3680ft MSL), cruising alt 10'000ft. I tried to set up a similar flight today, but was able to replicate only (7). I was flying with real weather yesterday so it is possible I did not set all the weather parameters correctly today.

5. When applying full throttle on takeoff I was getting approx. 42'' MP (end of green arc) instead of 50+'' (end of yellow arc, as in v3.12). Is this intentional?

6. I did not turn carburator heat on from the start (I guess I should). Couple of minutes after takeoff the engines went suddenly to idle. There was no early warning of icing (should there be?). I turned carbheat and both anti-ice switches on, and the MP and RPM went slowly back up after some time (I almost crashed). It never happended to me with v3.12 before.

7. When flying at 10k feet at full throttle, mixture at auto-lean, and ~2100 prop RPM with carbheat and both anti-ice switches ON I noticed that I was able to get 32'' MP max (I think it was more in v3.12 as far as I recall).

8. Moreover, the MP seemed to slowly decrease over time. All in all, i was able to achieve only about 120kts IAS. It is less than in 3.12.

Perhaps some of these updates were intentional and I am just a lame pilot still :/ Nevertheless, I hope the above helps to make this marvelous aircraft even better!

Thanks!

Hi,

I will try to answer some of your findings.

1/ There have been a number of users with this issue, and it is currently not known what the cause is. If you do encounter it again, please report back with as much detail about the flight as possible. It seems it may have something to do with loading the aircraft from a pre existing cold and dark saved state in the simulator.

2/ I haven't been able to reproduce this. Checklist has always worked flawlessly for me. Your report will be noted though!

3/ Agreed, it would be good to have the completion of the checklist confirmed.

4/ I haven't been able to reproduce this. I always start the "After Takeoff" checklist with gear and flaps already raised, and again it has performed flawlessly.

5/ 42" MP at 3500 feet is normal. You will get 50" at sea level. Manifold pressure will decrease with altitude, as it does IRL.

6/ It has been recommended that you turn Carb Heat on at 5 Degrees Celsius and below. I just learned that figure from another one of Manfred's posts, and it would seem this is real world practice, for this particular engine.

7/ and 8/ Manifold pressure will decrease with altitude. A lot of work has gone on to try and replicate real world numbers, by smarter people than me who have experience with the actual aircraft. While it may not be exactly right, the numbers in the sim should closely match those of the aircraft IRL. Of course improvement is constantly being strived for, so there will more than likely be more changes to come in future versions.

Cheers,

Scott
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Thanks Scott, what I can add is,

On 2/ Not quite sure if you have done this, but you have to click on line 1 or the title line on any page for the Checklist to get going from the beginning.

On 3/ "Completed" was killed because the checklist is wholly random access now, pages as well as items. So when should the acknowledgment come? When all items have a checkmark? (Not always the case). When you turn a page? (No.) But I'll take it on board, miss it myself.

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

I just registered to say thank you to all the people behind this wonderful plane !

Cheers,
    "j4"

Thank you to all involved for these updates and enhancements.

Now, how do I get my F12 key to show "View down/ plan view" rather than looking at the starboard engine and wing please? I had it working on my last install but for the life of me I can not seem to remember how it was done...!?

Any help would be fantastic! I have even scrolled through my last .cfg file but can not see any difference (in the cameradefinition logs) anywhere?

Cheers,
    Tim.

Hello,
    If you look for
    HotKeySelect=
    at the bottom of any camera definition entries and delete or comment out that line, it should
    do what you want and still have the extra views.
    Regards,
    Nick

Members who have read this thread: 1