SAAB MFI-17 Supporter FSX

Thread: SAAB MFI-17 Supporter FSX

SAAB MFI-17 Supporter FSX

I had been looking at this model for some time and finally jumped on it, the SAAB/PAC MFI-17 Supporter by MSK Productions. It's a simple GA/Light Military Trainer sim model with no IFR capability and no GPS. It actually has no NAV Instrument VOR/ADF capability which limits it to mostly VRF local flights or dead reckoning NAV flights. The model's visuals are good inside and out despite it's over-simplicity and it's fun to fly with good flight dynamics. As far as I am aware, there isn't a similar version of this model out there with this good of detail and the type has always interested me since I remember seeing photos of the old MFI-15/17 in books when I was young. Is it worth the 20E/$21 price? Well honestly, I've seen freeware this good or better but I rarely ever buy light aircraft model for FSX and this type was an exception (based on my interest and rarity). Gripes (besides the simplicity)? The model appears to have some sort of security coding in it that doesn't allow modification to the config file (and perhaps other files) as when I tried to update the roll rate in the config file (and edit out paints I won't use), the model disappeared from my FSX aircraft list and I had to re-install it. That makes me think adding repaints to it are a no-go. Oh well, I'm still satisfied to have this model as a good hands-on GA type.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Almost forgot, the model is at Simmarket.

Also of interest, here's an old promotional video of the real aircraft:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Y5oJ_YSdU

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for posting about this uncommon aircraft, Storm. I have been interested in it but there are always others that appeal more (like the Iris Grob; Aerosoft Wilga; Ant's Winjeel; and Rob Richardson's freeware Beagle Pup) - and, until now, precious little feedback from users.

The 'locked' cfg file is a spoiler for me, as I like to be able to tweak from time to time - not to mention adding repaints (if there are any!?).

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    Thanks for posting about this uncommon aircraft, Storm. I have been interested in it but there are always others that appeal more (like the Iris Grob; Aerosoft Wilga; Ant's Winjeel; and Rob Richardson's freeware Beagle Pup) - and, until now, precious little feedback from users.

The 'locked' cfg file is a spoiler for me, as I like to be able to tweak from time to time - not to mention adding repaints (if there are any!?).
    You're welcome! I'm going to try and get support regarding the config file and see if this can be addressed (hopefully it will).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's odd, I have never had issues adding repaints, as a matter of fact I posted two additional Danish paint jobs here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum..._BABYBLUES-zip

I love this bird for casual VFR flying, it has a great view from the cockpit.

NOTE: The MFI-17 "Aircraft.cfg" is in Unicode, so you cannot use Notepad to edit, use Wordpad or similar instead.
    Last edited by Penz; February 26th, 2017 at 01:24.
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

NOTE: The MFI-17 "Aircraft.cfg" is in Unicode, so you cannot use Notepad to edit, use Wordpad or similar instead.

Ahaaaaaaa! Thanks for clarifying that! (the culprit!).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0