Mysterious Return of the 50 yrd Bug

Thread: Mysterious Return of the 50 yrd Bug

Icon5 Mysterious Return of the 50 yrd Bug

I have recently noticed that in my main install of CFS3 the 50 yard bug has once again reared its ugly head. (This is the one that prevents hits from registering on aircraft you are shooting at that are within 50 yrds of you.)I can't figure out why. However, my stock install remains unaffected, I can close to point blank and still get hits. Swapping the exe from the stock install into this one does not fix the issue. Any ideas? What files control this?

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    I have recently noticed that in my main install of CFS3 the 50 yard bug has once again reared its ugly head. (This is the one that prevents hits from registering on aircraft you are shooting at that are within 50 yrds of you.)I can't figure out why. However, my stock install remains unaffected, I can close to point blank and still get hits. Swapping the exe from the stock install into this one does not fix the issue. Any ideas? What files control this?
    You might have to ask one of the old hands in OFF who fixed this - maybe Polovski?

I might have imagined this but IIRC the problem was the way some aircraft xdps were assembled - there was an extra space in some line which proved difficult to track down? Probably completely imagining this

Well, maybe, maybe not. I do remember something about that, but I thought it had to do with multi-player mismatch issues. However, I have since discovered that the 50 yard bug does not affect my 20mm Hispannos, but it does affect my .303 brownings. I'm starting to test with other guns, but maybe your idea has something to do with it. Certainly worth pursuing!

I have determined that the issue lies with the player aircraft, in this case a heavily modded JF BoB Spitfire IA. I put the .303cal into the aircraft I had had success with with the 20mm and the gun worked. The target aircraft was the same in both cases, so gun type and target aircraft are not possibilities, leaving me with the player aircraft. I tried deleting extra spaces in the xdp, I did find one, but it didn't fix it. I've gone over and over that xdp (and deleted the bdp after each change) and still no luck.

It appears to be the m3d that is the culprit. I swapped m3ds from my problem plane with the one I have working and the problem followed the m3d. Looking at it with a hex editor, I found a lot of extra gun_grp tags which I assume are the culprit. As a long shot I tried removing them, but no luck. Waste of a day...as an aside, if it enters anyone's mind to do a new early Spit, I'd be forever grateful.

I've not heard of this issue before, but based on what you've said so far, my guess would be that the m3d includes an extra large bounding box, and that's preventing the guns from shooting off an invisible part of your own aircraft.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I just checked and the boxes all look normal.

Reasons that sound good, are not always good sound reasons!

MajorMagee
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0