P3Dv4 question

Thread: P3Dv4 question

P3Dv4 question

hey all,i understand that v4 will have to be bought?...so if i were to buy it,will it install over v3?..or do i have to uninstall v3 and then install v4?..and if so,how can i move everything into v4 in an easy way?..can they be side by side?...

Members +
    As it has not been released, we can only speculate.
    Yes, you probably have to pay for it, as it will be a brand new release.
    It may, in all probability, be able to be installed as a separate install, next to v3, as it is not an update of v3.

Why do you expect it to be free? You do not get Office 2016 for free, if you already have Office 2013, as an example.

Having said all that, the above is all speculation.
    The best people, probably, to answer any P3D queries, would be within the Prepar3d forums on the Prepar3d site.

Blog Entries
    Don't know if LM will use the same marketing structure as with all of the earlier versions, but there is an option to use P3D on a month to month subscription basis.

I've been using this from the start. It's the equivalent of two Starbucks designer coffee's. I don't do Starbucks, so it's easy to justify the rental for the sim.
    My logic has been to continue renting until the sim arrives at a place where I would not be looking forward to any updates, which would potentially require a new purchase.

P3Dv4, especially a 64bit version is going to be an entirely new development curve with lots and lots of input from the community. There will, therefore be a gozillion tweaks for the first few months, if not longer. I plan on continuing to rent until the sim seems worth committing to a purchase.

Worked for me, but it's only my opinion and that plus two bits will buy you a cup of errrr....welllll...Starbucks designer coffee!
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    As it has not been released, we can only speculate.
    Yes, you probably have to pay for it, as it will be a brand new release.
    It may, in all probability, be able to be installed as a separate install, next to v3, as it is not an update of v3.

Why do you expect it to be free? You do not get Office 2016 for free, if you already have Office 2013, as an example.

Having said all that, the above is all speculation.
    The best people, probably, to answer any P3D queries, would be within the Prepar3d forums on the Prepar3d site.
    never said i wanted it for free,may have seemed like it was my intent,but no,.,,i just asked the question..wanted mostly to know about side by side.

The way P3D has worked in the past is that you pay for the new version i.e. pay for V1 then again for V2 again for V3 etc...but you don't pay for the version upgrades i.e V3.1 or V3.2 or V3.3 etc...So we'll be paying I'm sure .

I think the recommendation would be for a total fresh reinstall because from 32 bit to 64 bit - but I dont know what I'm talking about here !

I mentioned this before - reinstalling scenery . I have a ton of Orbx and others over 200 GB and on my last reinstall I used FScubed which takes a snapshot of all your scenery and stores it elsewhere . When ready to reinstall you just hit the go button and it reinstalls all your scenery back in place . This took a solid day to do, in my case, but I could just walk away and leave it to its own devices. Thank god !

I did reinstall on of Orbx's regions first manually as a kind of insurance, I guess, to create all the paths etc . Whether I needed to do this ...? I dont know

Side by side install is possible. I had v2 and v3 together for many months, especially for Tacpack, until TP was upgraded to work with v3 as well. As for ORBX, we already know we will not pay again and also according to John Venema:

"Better still, through the magic of FTXCv3 you won't even need to re-download them." So it may be a simple arrangement through FTX global to use your already installed ORBX sceneries in V4 as well.

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    The way P3D has worked in the past is that you pay for the new version i.e. pay for V1 then again for V2 again for V3 etc...but you don't pay for the version upgrades i.e V3.1 or V3.2 or V3.3 etc...So we'll be paying I'm sure .

I think the recommendation would be for a total fresh reinstall because from 32 bit to 64 bit - but I dont know what I'm talking about here !
    As P3Dv4 is a new program, it will be a new fresh install.
    NOT a reinstall. A reinstall is just that, an installation of an existing program.

We will have to wait and see what compatibilty issues will arise, when installing existing 32bit planes & scenery.
    Personally, I feel that installing 32bit addons that have been written for an old 32bit core is redundant. A new 64bit sim should be perfect with 64bit addons, not modded 32bit ones.
    But then, who knows?

Considering that I have thousands of dollars wrapped up in those 32 bit add ons, I personally would like to be able to use them. If you can afford to replace everything zswobbie1, good onya...

Members who have read this thread: 0