Just Flight PA28R Arrow III released - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just Flight PA28R Arrow III released

I have been trying it out in FSX. Nice model etc, but I think that the flight dynamics need improving. Jittery in the air, tendency to bank to the left and so on. Hopefully there will be an update soon.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    I have been trying it out in FSX. Nice model etc, but I think that the flight dynamics need improving. Jittery in the air, tendency to bank to the left and so on. Hopefully there will be an update soon.
    Already being worked on, a few pitch issues and made the trim a bit more gentle. The banking should have been resolved, but because it only feeds from one tank at a time there tends to be a bit of imbalance. I've moved the tanks inwards a bit from their actual position to minimise this effect. Not sure what you mean by 'Jittery in the air' though, Paul - nobody else has mentioned anything at all like that through testing or since release, would you care to elaborate?.

Cheers,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by delta558 View Post
    Already being worked on, a few pitch issues and made the trim a bit more gentle. The banking should have been resolved, but because it only feeds from one tank at a time there tends to be a bit of imbalance. I've moved the tanks inwards a bit from their actual position to minimise this effect. Not sure what you mean by 'Jittery in the air' though, Paul - nobody else has mentioned anything at all like that through testing or since release, would you care to elaborate?.

Cheers,
    Paul.
    Hi Paul

Thank you for the positive feedback. Much appreciated. Background then - My controls are calibrated and I usually fly similar aircraft from RealAir, Flight 1, Aerosoft and A2A. I don't have any problems with their flight models. On my first flight in the Arrow, I felt that the aircraft was taking too long on takeoff and then tended to lurch into the air as I applied pressure. Once in the air, the tendency to bank to the left was fairly pronounced and the aircraft was very sensitive to even a small joystick movement (jittery). In fairness to you, I admit that I only flew it for one day.
    I am sure that you will have done much research and testing. However, I am not flying the aircraft now because of these issues.
    Having worked on FS aircraft in the past, I know (as I am sure that you do) that accuracy is not always well reflected within the parameters of FSX. Hence one often has to play around with things until the aircraft feels more comfortable in flight.
    Hope that this helps a bit.

Cheers
    Paul

I'll second his 'lurch in the air'. As it accelerates, it gives little or no indication of wanting to fly. When you roll in some more trim it'll suddenly pitch off into a nose-high, imminent stall attitude. Already have a support ticket going and am currently very skeptical about this bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Any news? It is P3D btw. It seems the transparency issue is less severe than what was reported in the Tiffie but it is certainly there.
    I'm using P3Dv3 but don't see the issue. I've double checked and the aircraft is using no custom effects, just the usual default FS/P3D effects:

[EFFECTS]
    wake=fx_wake
    water=fx_spray
    dirt=fx_tchdrt
    concrete=fx_sparks
    touchdown=fx_tchdwn_s, 1

It'd be worth checking that the default dirt effect (fx_tchdrt) is definitely present in the P3D effects folder.

Quote Originally Posted by olderndirt View Post
    am currently very skeptical about this bird.
    Skeptical because of the pitch issue? An improved FDE, along with other updates and improvements (including Flight1 GNS integration) will be available very soon.
    Martyn
    Just Flight Development Manager

It is actually a smoke effect. The engine seems to be emitting smoke even during flight, which is strange.

I can't see that anything like the smoke effect Dimus is seeing. Maybe system specific or my failing eyesight.. I only see smoke on startup, but I haven't looked from outside during a start yet.

Getting the quite vicious pitch up and roll as the wheels come off the ground here too, even if gentle on the controls. And it definitely needs positive column to unstick, which makes it interesting!

My biggest issue though is mixture - cannot seem to lean it to achieve the cruise table figures. The needle just will not drop below about 14 gph unless I pull the mixture right back nearly to cutoff! Probably should add I am only using it in P3D v3.

Hope the update is a good one, as otherwise this is spoiling a very nice looking addition to my hangar (I even prefer this to the A2A Cherokee atm...).

Here is the current list of what will be included in the upcoming service pack:

• Improvements to FDE
    • Flight1 GNS integration added
    • Interactive engine start checklist added
    • FSUIPC auto-saves trigger panel state save - fixed
    • Option to disable 2D panel selector arrow added to PA-28 menu
    • “GPS changed. Updating HSI source…” message keeps appearing – fixed
    • Battery voltage low/oil quantity low message will now appear onscreen to warn of potential failures
    • Changes to engine start logic
    • Changes to fuel selector logic
    • Flaps not moving with electrical power off – fixed
    • Battery discharge and oil usage now occur only when engine management is enabled

None of the issues that have been reported will be ignored but other fixes/changes might take a bit more time.

Thanks
    Martyn
    Martyn

Really great to see you guys connecting with the us consumers. I agree, great list of fixes and updates.

Will anxiously await!

Overall it is a fantastic product and a step forward for the Just Flight team.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

OK I have to take back the smoke issue. It seems it shows with other planes too, not just the Piper. It is however a hit and miss situation and I can not find the cause. It is a smoke effect that seems to be attached to either the nosewheel or the tailwheel of planes. I''ll keep checking, this is a hard one.

Quote Originally Posted by fsxar177 View Post
    Really great to see you guys connecting with the us consumers. I agree, great list of fixes and updates.

Will anxiously await!

Overall it is a fantastic product and a step forward for the Just Flight team.

- Joseph
    A step forward indeed! Very ambitious this one! Great stuff!

Cees

Just to add further to my leaning issue - the fuel flow looks to be twice that predicted from the performance charts. If I halve the figure, all looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by teeboy View Post
    Just to add further to my leaning issue - the fuel flow looks to be twice that predicted from the performance charts. If I halve the figure, all looks good.
    Already sorted and ready to go in the upcoming SP!

Service pack 1 is now available: https://www.justflight.com/support/pa28-arrow-iii/30fa7cc

Please make sure to read the notes on the support page, particularly if you are using the Flight1 GTN or GNS.

• Flight1 GNS integration added
    • Interactive engine start checklist added
    • FSUIPC auto-saves trigger panel state save - fixed
    • Option to disable 2D panel selector arrow added to PA-28 menu
    • “GPS changed. Updating HSI source…” message keeps appearing – fixed
    • Battery voltage low/oil quantity low message will now appear onscreen to warn of potential failures
    • Changes to engine start logic
    • Changes to fuel selector logic
    • Flaps not moving with electrical power off – fixed
    • Battery discharge and oil usage now occur only when engine management is enabled
    • Door now only closes fully when both latches are closed
    • Slight delay in electrical power availability after battery/alternator switched on, for added realism

Martyn

Flew from Compton-Abbas to Caen today! Nice plane! Tomorrow I'll be heading for Belgium.

Cees

Took the Arrow around the patch this morning, with the update SP1 installed. I pleasantly report that any issues I had experienced before are now resolved, including some items that weren't aforementioned.

With the corrections, it really is a gem now. I'll offer some review from where I sit.

Visually this airplane is breathtaking. The modelling and textures are quite convincing. It does not disappoint, and is probably the Justflight teams best effort to date. The paintkit is friendly, and while I haven't really any need to explore a repaint at the moment, it looks like it would do sufficiently. There's lots of wear and tear, the airplane looks so dog-gone realistic. Fabulous.

Audio is crisp, and very clear. There were a few items that I didn't like in the initial release, but these have been corrected. The propeller really bites through the air, and there's a good presence of 3d sound cone. +1

Flight Dynamics
    are really where this airplane shines. I do have just a handful of PA-28 hours in a fixed gear, and I found the Arrow from Justflight more than justified in it's representation. There's a good heavy feeling, and the airplane is most certainly not on rails. It feels good. Really good. I was a bit worried at first, as the elevator trim had some problems. These were handsomely corrected with the SP1 so no worries now. I managed some cross country and VOR-VOR flights, and I really feel like the flight envelope is accurately represented. It's good to see a developer put some real effort into propeller physics, engine management, and overall sense of immersion. Way to go!

Depth, Justflight has opened up some new features. I'm really not super keen on the interface, at least not yet. However having the panel state saved for the next load is genius. I also feel like there's room to expand. My only criticism is that it's a little clunky navigating through these features. However mostly a matter of preference, I presume. It's not just a jump in and fly airplane, which is great. It's also not so overwhelmed with damage mods to the point that it's burdensome. So there's a balance. I feel like they achieved the balance, but in my taste it's just a little awkward.

I think this product really deserves to be noticed. It's a 5-star level of quality for today's market, for sure. The price seems heavy at first, but after purchase, I can understand why. It's a fantastic contribution to my hangar. I look forward to more cross country and maybe some night flying.

I hope some others who may have been on the fence will treat themselves this weekend. It's be glad you did.

Now back to my project...
    - Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fsxar177 View Post
    Took the Arrow around the patch this morning, with the update SP1 installed. I pleasantly report that any issues I had experienced before are now resolved, including some items that weren't aforementioned.

With the corrections, it really is a gem now. I'll offer some review from where I sit.

Visually this airplane is breathtaking. The modelling and textures are quite convincing. It does not disappoint, and is probably the Justflight teams best effort to date. The paintkit is friendly, and while I haven't really any need to explore a repaint at the moment, it looks like it would do sufficiently. There's lots of wear and tear, the airplane looks so dog-gone realistic. Fabulous.

Audio is crisp, and very clear. There were a few items that I didn't like in the initial release, but these have been corrected. The propeller really bites through the air, and there's a good presence of 3d sound cone. +1

Flight Dynamics
    are really where this airplane shines. I do have just a handful of PA-28 hours in a fixed gear, and I found the Arrow from Justflight more than justified in it's representation. There's a good heavy feeling, and the airplane is most certainly not on rails. It feels good. Really good. I was a bit worried at first, as the elevator trim had some problems. These were handsomely corrected with the SP1 so no worries now. I managed some cross country and VOR-VOR flights, and I really feel like the flight envelope is accurately represented. It's good to see a developer put some real effort into propeller physics, engine management, and overall sense of immersion. Way to go!

Depth, Justflight has opened up some new features. I'm really not super keen on the interface, at least not yet. However having the panel state saved for the next load is genius. I also feel like there's room to expand. My only criticism is that it's a little clunky navigating through these features. However mostly a matter of preference, I presume. It's not just a jump in and fly airplane, which is great. It's also not so overwhelmed with damage mods to the point that it's burdensome. So there's a balance. I feel like they achieved the balance, but in my taste it's just a little awkward.

I think this product really deserves to be noticed. It's a 5-star level of quality for today's market, for sure. The price seems heavy at first, but after purchase, I can understand why. It's a fantastic contribution to my hangar. I look forward to more cross country and maybe some night flying.

I hope some others who may have been on the fence will treat themselves this weekend. It's be glad you did.

Now back to my project...
    - Joseph

Great review Joseph, but there's just one thing that I think you've missed out, it's that the aircraft just "feels" right!

Ian

Have got to agree with Joseph and Ian - very nice after the SP. Not sure about the 'expensive' reference, as I think for what you get its remarkable compared to say, A2A (but those are 'premium' simulation products and I think you get your money's worth there too). The integration options for avionics are almost worth the asking price alone. And if you still think its too much - compare to Carenado/Alabeo...

Bloody good job JustFlight. How about a twin next time?

Nick

Lovely Plane she is
    However with the SP1 as I pull back on thoddle to a MP of 22 the RPM drops with the lowering of the MP to below 2400 without touching RPM lever...
    Thats not right is it?

Quote Originally Posted by doublecool View Post
    Lovely Plane she is
    However with the SP1 as I pull back on thoddle to a MP of 22 the RPM drops with the lowering of the MP to below 2400 without touching RPM lever...
    Thats not right is it?
    I don't recall making any changes to the engine that would affect that but I will go back and double-check.

Quote Originally Posted by delta558 View Post
    I don't recall making any changes to the engine that would affect that but I will go back and double-check.
    Any word? As this is effecting air speeds?

Not in the 14 hours between your posts - I'm working night shifts in the real world (through the weekend as well ) so haven't been able to get to the files for long enough to look into this yet. It will get sorted and hopefully very soon.

Following several requests, I can announce that we are developing another variant of the PA28 Arrow - the PA-28RT-201T Turbo Arrow IV. More details will follow shortly
    Martyn

That would be great Martyn! That is the T-tail right? What about the low tail version?

Meanwhile I'm working on this repaint, Cretan Eagle flight school:

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    It is actually a smoke effect. The engine seems to be emitting smoke even during flight, which is strange.

I used to get something similar, not always happened, found an explanation at OZX.
    http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...t-below-plane/

Note: I had to do a full FSX reinstall around Christmas and problem
    has not shown up, if it does I'll disable the effect by renaming again.
    Hope this helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0