Thoughts on P3d v.4

Thread: Thoughts on P3d v.4

Thoughts on P3d v.4

Just some random thoughts on the upcoming release of p3d v.4

1. ) I don't think aircraft and scenery compatibility will be game changers. The fact that it's 64-bit won't really make any difference for developers in regards to mesh, textures, and basic .xml logic. Where it likely will make change is with any gauge programming or other modules through sim-connect or other means. I'm only guessing here, but I think it will break the ability for some aircraft add-ons to quickly convert over. We'll see in the long run which developers are able to maintain their current fleet moving forward. I'm curious to see how quickly companies like HiFi, and REX transition.

2. ) The significance of 64 bit will be the nail in the coffin so to speak for FSX. Not right away, as most of us are way too invested, however I think the benefits of upgrading to a new platform will be much greater than previously experienced with v.1-3 of P3D.

What are your thoughts?

For me, as a user and developer, I'm very excited to see what's in store. I'm optimistic, and believe it's a great year to be a flight simmer.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

I'm really looking forward to it. It is the future.

I have a strong sense of deja vu with 32 bit vs. 64 bit. I remember when there was a hot debate at work regarding the new 64 bit Windows (and how long ago is THAT!) and what software it would and wouldn't "break", which ended up to be nothing at all. OK, that isn't a great analogy, but I can't help thinking issues with 64bit compatibility will end up being a storm in a teacup for P3D.

Bring it on...

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Blog Entries
    I too am looking forward to the 64 bit version. I will buy it. However, I don't know just how many aircraft will still work? I will just do what I did when V3 came out. I will run the two versions side-by-side until mostly everything that I find important is 64 bit worthy.

I think it will finally help with the graphics. More memory will help with the OOM errors. Even if we are still constrained to mostly a single CPU and GPU, the wider bandwidth will, I think, make a big difference in both speed and shorter start up time.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Same here, I'm really looking forward to the 64 bits version.
    The reason is simple: in the current 32 bits version, we cannot push the options to the max. Not because of the FPS, but simply because of the memory.
    We're in a situation where, if you use complex addons, you can see them and use them with a fluid sim, but just for a few minutes. Then it crashes because the memory is full.
    This frustration has existed for too long now.

Honnestly, I do not really care if the 64 bits brings any better performance or not.
    As long at it runs at the same FPS with the same options enabled, but without crashing due to memory limitations from the previous century, then I'm happy with that (EDIT: at first. Then they better optimize it, or else ... ! )

I personally don't think that 64bit is neccessarily the end of backward compatibility. The data formats used (BGLs, MDL, AGN and what not) are mostly nothing but compressed XML code or independent sound or texture formats. Even old 32bit dlls can be read by 64bit code through interprocess communication (IPC). So as long as they don't change something in the general handling, file format requirements or interfaces I'm confident that we can continue to use our aircraft and scenery. Regarding external tools like FSUIPC I am not sure, but I can imagine that they will get fixed fast, if it hasn't been already done.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

OK, its Friday and I'm going bonkers with the anticipation!!!

Soooo, it wasn't released yesterday after all! Amazingly I also managed to sleep last night!

Perhaps today will be THE Friday?!

Airtrooper, you must have some information that I can't seem to find. I have checked the Lockheed Martin Prepar3D website and forum for a release date of v.4 but can't find any definitive release date.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Members who have read this thread: 0