Thread: German Hetzer

Icon23 German Hetzer

Two more pictures.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Awesome,as usual. Love your work,Thanks

SOH-CM-2020

Lightbulb Shared Textures

Hi Airfighter, I have a suggestion to make it easier for those who want to install all your lovely AI vehicles into CFS3. Some of the other modellers provide "packs" of the common shared files so that all the shared files can be found in one place.

A while back I installed a lot of your AI vehicles (not the driveable ones) and created a folder which I installed in the Vehicles folder, called "Airfighter Textures". In this way, I eliminated a lot of duplicate .dds textures which would otherwise have been installed in multiple locations in the Vehicles folder. It was also a way to make sure there are not different textures with the same name, used for different vehicles. CFS3 has a habit of picking up any old texture for the m3d file, wherever it may be found in the install, so long as it has the right name, which sometimes leads to unwanted results.

After putting a large number of your AI vehicles in an install, I found one or two wheels, etc, looking a bit funny and I think possibly when I overwrote some texture files with the same name, perhaps I saved one intended for a different vehicle.

Having all the textures kept in one "shared folder" for your vehicles will help eliminate duplicates and variations, and make it easier for your fans like me who cannot get enough of all you terrific vehicles!

Icon5

I don't understand.
    Where you want to place a shared folder with all textures of all vehicles ?
    And then you will not have the textures in the file of the vehicle ?

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by airfighter55 View Post
    I don't understand.
    Where you want to place a shared folder with all textures of all vehicles ?
    And then you will not have the textures in the file of the vehicle ?

Hi Airfighter55,

Yes the textures go in a new folder in the Vehicles folder. This has a number of advantages as per my first post on your thread.

1. there are currently a lot of duplicate textures with the same name - having only one texture with the same name will save space,
    2. It will avoid having different textures with the same name.
    3. The vehicles will render properly which won't always happen if there are two textures with the same name, in different vehicles' folders.
    4. It does not matter where the textures go for the vehicles to render properly. You can make one shared texture folder for all the Airfighter AI vehicles.
    5. I have already done this for many of the AI vehicles, and identified a few minor problems.
    6. Having a shared texture folder will avoid any problems.

I can email you a zip file to show you what I mean, if you PM me.

Members who have read this thread: 0