Virtavia B-29
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virtavia B-29

Virtavia B-29

Did anyone ever do a repaint for the Virtavia B-29 Superfortress "Doc?"

Yes, someone did make that repaint and I have it BUT I tried to find a download link/location and could not find one right off. I'm sure someone will post it here soon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    Cool ....saves me doing one...
    I've been reworking the Kit more to my liking...and ending up with some oddities [what-ifs] .... like a Qantas commercial version...

I didn't much like the way the colouring/shading/spec was done in the Kit so did it 'my way'. Gotta rework the bumps for all my windoze next.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B-29-Qantas4.jpg  

Good one JAFO ... but didn't they upgrade to the B-52 recently

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Good one JAFO ... but didn't they upgrade to the B-52 recently
    Nah....they went for the XB-70 instead....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-Qantas-New2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    Did anyone ever do a repaint for the Virtavia B-29 Superfortress "Doc?"
    A quick google search lead me here: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...-*DOC*-Repaint

Look at post #13. The file is no longer available there, but maybe you can contact the poster.

I have the repaint, but am not sure if it is allowed to upload it.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

A more 'real' one I've been reworking a bit..... and I found how to get a bit of Spec into the spinners ....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B29-Fifi-1.jpg  

Concentrating on this one....as always...annoying sectioning of the paint.... the nose numbers are....entertaining....

At least the Enola font will be right....pulled it off the real one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B29-Enola-1.jpg  

I reckon I'm getting close with Enola....added the wing paint panels ....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B29-Enola-Final.jpg  

Found issues with painting....bits of fuse that are repeated...kinda makes detailing problematic....either don't add it...or end up with 2.

Happy with the left side though.....even rewrote the notes...

Here 'tis...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B29-Enola-Final2.jpg   B29-Enola-Final3.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; February 27th, 2017 at 20:03.

Those look really great!!!

Finished Fifi ....
    ....took a bit of chasing for details...duller metal finish than Enola, it seems....and wing walkway is different....

Time to compile the DDS's and upload both...

Here's Enola....same lighting...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B29-Fifi-Final.jpg   B29-Enola-Gay-Final.jpg  

Very nice repaints, Jafo!

The reason for why the CAF's B-29 "FIFI" looks the way it does, is because it is painted silver/grey overall, it isn't natural metal (save for the cowl rings and exhaust shroud panels) - the paint itself is quite dated now as well. The details of its external finish aren't very authentic either - for instance, when it was last painted (I believe it was free/donated service), the company accidentally painted all of the stars & bars in black & white, rather than insignia blue & white (the "FIFI" name was done in blue).

Of course the original "Enola Gay", at the Smithsonian, has had all of its original natural aluminum polished (its metal finish having oxidized quite a lot over the decades, prior to restoration/conservation efforts), to resemble the un-polished, fresh-Alclad look it had in 1945. On your repaint of "Enola Gay", I particularly like what you did with the metal finish vs. the silver-painted sections - it looks very true to life/accurate!
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Re 'Fifi', yes, it's blue...but as with all online photos....the blue shows up differently on several [along with specific details not always the same/vintage]. I chose a relatively darker blue than what's in some pics....comes in at RGB 8-28-60....and was toying with doing the spec brighter....so it'd end up all sortts of shades depending on the lighting...but decided conservative was the go...

Hey guys, maybe this will help..

Taken in 2014 when Fifi visited our area.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Hey guys, maybe this will help..

Taken in 2014 when Fifi visited our area.
    Yes....but the problem always arises....accuracy of colour reproduction. I've seen lighter....and darker. Half the time you have to find a reference point...something whose colour is known...and determine the chroma shift.
    And when details elsewhere are painted differently/missing on some photos you suspect such things as 'fifi' might even have been repainted more than once....and in different colour hues...

Your photo looks like it has a blue-shift, if anything...which will accentuate blues. Is the grass too blue...less green...and is the yellow paint on the tarmac maybe less yellow than it should be?
    It's hard to tell reality from Kodak-getting-it-wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Yes....but the problem always arises....accuracy of colour reproduction. I've seen lighter....and darker. Half the time you have to find a reference point...something whose colour is known...and determine the chroma shift.
    And when details elsewhere are painted differently/missing on some photos you suspect such things as 'fifi' might even have been repainted more than once....and in different colour hues...

Your photo looks like it has a blue-shift, if anything...which will accentuate blues. Is the grass too blue...less green...and is the yellow paint on the tarmac maybe less yellow than it should be?
    It's hard to tell reality from Kodak-getting-it-wrong...
    Not sure if I agree with your perception.

Why don't you contract CAF directly and ask them what color it really is. They have a page on FB that reports on Fifi's schedule, so I'm sure they can address your questions.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Not sure if I agree with your perception.
    You may need to....as a colour pick of the static prop blade in your picture gives an RGB of 80,80,100.
    25% too much blue when the 'expected' would be 80,80,80 for a gloss-shifted/lighter 'black'....
    Same issue with the 'black' radome/antenna.

Here's what you get when the blue is pulled back 18% to make the blacks black.....quite a substantial difference....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails colour test.jpg  

Jafo, are you going to upload any of these great Superfortress repaints?

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    Jafo, are you going to upload any of these great Superfortress repaints?
    Yes....shortly....
    Wasn't quite happy with the scale of text under the tailplane of Fifi....the "Boeing B-29 Superfortress" and "NX529B" so was redoing those...
    And more fiddling with the spinner spec.

Been working around the real-life 'FIFI' for a couple of years. The plane hangars at my local air museum. They're supposed to be heading out on tour some time in the next week or so. I have some relatively recent pics if you need some.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade408 View Post
    Been working around the real-life 'FIFI' for a couple of years. The plane hangars at my local air museum. They're supposed to be heading out on tour some time in the next week or so. I have some relatively recent pics if you need some.
    That'd be cool....
    It seems Fifi is in a constant state of 'flux'....there's more than one version of painted detailing around...eg the location of the 'CAF' text.

I could do a reworking of what's done already...as a current 'state of play'...

Meanwhile....I've uploaded both Fifi and Enola Gay here at SOH.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B29-Fifi-Final.jpg   B29-Enola-Gay-Final.jpg  

Can't say my pics are the best quality. But, I try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B-29 and misc 027.jpg   B-29 and misc 018.jpg   B-29 and misc 016.jpg   B-29 and misc 011.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0