Need a New Camera

Thread: Need a New Camera

Need a New Camera

Hello All,

My current camera is a Canon S5IS. 8.3 Megapixel 12X Zoom DIGIC 3 Processor.
    I bought it a couple months after the model came out which means it is about 9 years old now.
    If it was still in good shape, I could still deal with its limitations but it has taken a beating over the years and now even has a broken power switch.
    The only way I can turn it off is to retract the lens and then open the battery cover.

I also own a Canon SX-120 which has more megapixels but is otherwise a much worse camera in just about every way.

The limitations with the old S5 are:
    1. Poor Low Light performance.
    2. Not quite enough resolution.
    3. Optical Zoom is also a bit low compared to more recent cameras.

Any ideas / suggestions for a more modern camera along these lines?
    Ideally the size should not be significantly larger than my current S5.

Thanks in Advance.

- Ivan.

Codak

Just a play on Cannon..Codak..get it? I like this one ($299 list): Orig 2013. Still kicks butt.
    Kodak AZ521, 16MP Camera with 52x Optical Zoom, 3" LCD Screen, 1080p Video Recording

Now a days the 'cheap' cameras give good results at a lower price. It's just technology improvement. How much can you improve a pic? Throw money at it? It sometimes ships with a dead battery but a charger for it is only $20.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Question

Ivan, 2 questions:

- What is your budget?
    - What do you like to shoot?

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

get anIphone

j have nowt at the moment but the quality ive seen with phonnes has amazed mea friend had a whole wedding sot one adslr is where you need for lensses ect ed look at sonyat b&h photo
    h
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Hello Panther,

I use the Canon S5 for anything from Zero Distance super macro shots (figurines, action figures, models, and other miniatures) to telephoto shots for picking up license plates and tire tread patterns from across a river.
    To me, it is pretty much a Do Everything type camera without the bulk of extra lenses and such.
    Ideally it should have Digital SLR quality sensors but in a slightly smaller package.
    Budget is about $600 I figure.... but ideally I would prefer to keep it around $500 or so.

Hello Henry,

I have an iPhone SE which has a pretty good camera but there are too many things it cannot do.
    It is great for grabbing a quick snapshot where detail and quality do not matter all that much.
    It has no ability for Macro or Telephoto shots which are very severe limitations.

- Ivan.

Question

Ivan,
    Since you're familiar with Canon, how does this Canon SX60HS look to you?
    ->https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...ershot-sx60-hs

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Hello Panther,
    I use the Canon S5 for anything from Zero Distance super macro shots (figurines, action figures, models, and other miniatures) to telephoto shots for picking up license plates and tire tread patterns from across a river.
    To me, it is pretty much a Do Everything type camera without the bulk of extra lenses and such.
    Ideally it should have Digital SLR quality sensors but in a slightly smaller package.
    Budget is about $600 I figure.... but ideally I would prefer to keep it around $500 or so.

- Ivan.
    HOWEVER...
    This IMHO will give you the best bang for your buck...

-> https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...f-4-56-iii-usm

Thanks Panther,

The SX60 looks interesting. I need to do some research on it though. Ideally, I would like to test it out.

I am sure you are correct that the Canon Digital SLR is a better bang, but not for me.
    It is certainly a better camera, but the problem is portability and need for a lot of extra accessories.
    For years, I carried the S5IS nearly everywhere as long as it wasn't prohibited there.
    It was always in my backpack and ready to take a quick shot of something a few hundred yards away or a close up of a flower or anything in between.
    No planning was required because it was always there. There was always an extra set of batteries and if I ran out, AA Alkaline batteries can be found just about anywhere.

A really good camera that you happen to have on hand beats the heck out of a really great camera that is sitting in the closet at home.

Being familiar with Canon, I like their menu system. I find I can get to the things I use pretty quickly.
    I had a Fuji (?) camera that was better than my S5 in just about every technical aspect but I didn't keep it because the menus were laid out in such a way that I had to go though too many things to make a simple adjustment and lost too many shots.

Thanks.
    - Ivan.

Members who have read this thread: 0