Martin Marauder Gold for FS9 has been released - Page 22
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 121415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Martin Marauder Gold for FS9 has been released

Paint kits for the B-26 Marauder are now available provided by Steve "Duckie" Bryant. Thank you Steve

The links are here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1101431
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Paint kits for the B-26 Marauder are now available provided by Steve "Duckie" Bryant. Thank you Steve
    The links are here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1101431
    I see that those are FSX paint kits. I take it that this means the textures are the same (other than format)?

Some while ago someone posted a plain silver skin for the FSX version. I converted it to FS9 format and added national insignia and a serial number to make a factory fresh silver scheme. I thought that when the excitement about the A-20 began to wane I might post it in the hope that someone who knows how to do weathering and such might put some service markings on it.

When I went to see who had made the textures to ask permission, I couldn't find the original zip file with the readme file in it (I always save those! But apparently not that time) and I couldn't find the skin again in the library, so I couldn't ask permission. I guess now I won't have to worry about that.

If I could paint things like exhaust stains and paint chips I might be able to come up with some decent skins. Maybe I'll do some experimenting, especially after some more adept painters show the way. But for now I'm still all cranked up about the A-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I see that those are FSX paint kits. I take it that this means the textures are the same (other than format)?

Some while ago someone posted a plain silver skin for the FSX version. I converted it to FS9 format and added national insignia and a serial number to make a factory fresh silver scheme. I thought that when the excitement about the A-20 began to wane I might post it in the hope that someone who knows how to do weathering and such might put some service markings on it.

When I went to see who had made the textures to ask permission, I couldn't find the original zip file with the readme file in it (I always save those! But apparently not that time) and I couldn't find the skin again in the library, so I couldn't ask permission. I guess now I won't have to worry about that.

If I could paint things like exhaust stains and paint chips I might be able to come up with some decent skins. Maybe I'll do some experimenting, especially after some more adept painters show the way. But for now I'm still all cranked up about the A-20.

Mick,

The texture mapping and textures are the same between FS9 and FSX.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Mick,
    The texture mapping and textures are the same between FS9 and FSX.
    That's what I suspected. Excellent!

I take it that there are no plans for an early, short-winged version, so if I should feel compelled to paint some of those very early, pre-war and early wartime planes, I should go ahead and paint them onto the C-model. Is that correct?

I think I hear some early Marauders calling to me...

Blog Entries
    I take it that there are no plans for an early, short-winged version, so if I should feel compelled to paint some of those very early, pre-war and early wartime planes, I should go ahead and paint them onto the C-model. Is that correct?

I am very interested in some early paints Mick, and have no problem with natural aluminum and O.D. pre/early war skins on Milton's "C" model. This Martin is one of the finest models for FS.

You have my vote Mick! Would love to see the early colors even if it is a later model type. Go for it!

Hi Mick,

I have no plans to do the early version. Why? Every part of the exterior is different; fuselage, wings, nacelles, tail, engine, etc all different; essentially a whole different aircraft model and mapping. Engines were different as I recall so that would also mean a new flight model and likely a few different gauges.

With that said, at one time Maty said he would take on the early model but I have not heard from him in a while.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton.

I knew there were a lot of differences besides the length of the wings, like the tail gun position, but I didn't realize there were that many!

I figured you would've mentioned it if you were planning other versions, but I thought I should make sure.

Those familiar with my paint jobs have seen plenty of cfg file description= sections that start with something like, "This B-26C wears the livery of an earlier model Marauder..." I have no problem with that sort of thing when the exact model isn't available.

I've gathered pictures of several Marauders that I think are within my capabilities to paint. As it turns out, only a couple of them are the very early versions, but as some of you know, I have a real soft spot for those silver birds with "meatball" stars and rudder stripes. And olive drab ones with those markings too.

It will take a while though. The paint kit will help, but there's a lot of work to do and we're coming into the season when I don't like to spend much time indoors. Autumn in western New England isn't modeling time - unless it rains. But I usually find a little hobby time in the morning before I get about my day...

Hi Mick,

I have no plans to do the early version. Why? Every part of the exterior is different; fuselage, wings, nacelles, tail, engine, etc all different; essentially a whole different aircraft model and mapping. Engines were different as I recall so that would also mean a new flight model and likely a few different gauges.

With that said, at one time Maty said he would take on the early model but I have not heard from him in a while.
    Sorry, Milton

Haven't had much free time and been too tired when I do have it. I do still want to build it at some point, but that and my almost complete lack of experience with FSX make for a not-so-great combination. If anyone wants to build it though, let me know. I was able to get PDFs of the Maintenance and Erection Manuals for the early models, and those come with great blueprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Maty12 View Post
    Sorry, Milton

Haven't had much free time and been too tired when I do have it. I do still want to build it at some point, but that and my almost complete lack of experience with FSX make for a not-so-great combination. If anyone wants to build it though, let me know. I was able to get PDFs of the Maintenance and Erection Manuals for the early models, and those come with great blueprints.

Maty, sorry to hear that, and I hope you get in a better situation.

Just for documentation purposes, I would like to have what you offer. If someday I get an inkling, I may tackle it but that would be a long shot for me. I am looking forward to getting back to converting my inventory to FSX native.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Maty, sorry to hear that, and I hope you get in a better situation.

Just for documentation purposes, I would like to have what you offer. If someday I get an inkling, I may tackle it but that would be a long shot for me. I am looking forward to getting back to converting my inventory to FSX native.
    Roger that, check your inbox

WIP

This will be the basis for some late 1941 / early 1942 skins. The 22nd Bomb Group flew the Marauder in the pre-war livery before they went to Australia. I don't believe there was ever a specification that called for "meatball" stars in six positions on silver airplanes, but photos show that there were a lot of planes painted that way. I suppose they just added the fuselage star without removing the upper right and lower left ones.

Anyway, here's what I have so far. Still needed are unit markings and a very minimal bit of wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Maty12 View Post
    Roger that, check your inbox
    Thank you Maty; downloaded.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Mick, that fresh aluminum looks terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    Mick, that fresh aluminum looks terrific!
    Thank you!

I have painted that basic skin with the colors and markings of the three squadrons of the 22nd Bomb Group, which was, as far as I can tell, the only group to fly the Marauder before they were all painted OD and gray. The squadrons applied their colors, red, white and blue, to the cowlings, so there's a dash of color on each skin.

Tomorrow morning's project is to figure out why the turret ring and frames look dark, like OD. If I can figure that out, the three skins will be ready to go up the pipe.

Thank you!

I have painted that basic skin with the colors and markings of the three squadrons of the 22nd Bomb Group, which was, as far as I can tell, the only group to fly the Marauder before they were all painted OD and gray. The squadrons applied their colors, red, white and blue, to the cowlings, so there's a dash of color on each skin.

Tomorrow morning's project is to figure out why the turret ring and frames look dark, like OD. If I can figure that out, the three skins will be ready to go up the pipe.
    Mick, look at "turretrails.bmp"
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Mick, look at "turretrails.bmp"
    Thanks Milton!

I was planning to look through all the textures this morning, and I suppose I would've found it, but your comment has saved me some time and aggravation.

I also have to get out the digital paint remover and get the insignia off the upper right and lower left wings. As I mentioned above, there are photos of silver planes with that early insignia in six positions, but after carefully peering at numerous photos, I don't think that was the case with the B-26. I now believe that I was confused by pictures of the prototype, which had four wing insignia but none on the fuselage.

I hope to have the 22nd Bomb Group skins uploded to the library later today.

OK, they just went up the pipe. Three skins with the squadron colors of each squadron in the 22nd Bomb Group. The 22nd was based at Langley Field in mid-1941 when they introduced the Marauder to Army service. In December they were at Muroc Army Airfield for weapons training, and by early 1942 they were in Australia with the 5th Air Force.

By then they'd had their insignia updated and their group and squadron codes removed, but they were left overall natural metal, a finish that wouldn't clothe Marauders again until late in the European war, when there were no more Marauders in the Pacific. (At least, as far as I know.) I have pictures of a couple of their planes when they were in New Guinea that I think are within my ability to render, so I may have a coupe more silver skins in a few days.

I thought these three were almost finished the day before yesterday, but he closer I looked at them and the more I looked at the reference photos, the more things I had to change. The most noticeable thing is the loss of two insignia on the wings. I now think that only the first B-26 had four wing stars, and it had none on the fuselage. And little things kept jumping out to poke me in the eye. But now they're finished. Picture me sighing in relief!

This will be the basis for some late 1941 / early 1942 skins. The 22nd Bomb Group flew the Marauder in the pre-war livery before they went to Australia. I don't believe there was ever a specification that called for "meatball" stars in six positions on silver airplanes, but photos show that there were a lot of planes painted that way. I suppose they just added the fuselage star without removing the upper right and lower left ones.

Anyway, here's what I have so far. Still needed are unit markings and a very minimal bit of wear and tear.

Superb work!

Awesome work, Mick. From what I've read the early Marauders were tricky on landings as well as take-offs. As tenacious as the Australian pilots were, I wonder if the B-26 gave them fits too.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Without checking I would think the RAAF aircrew avoided the early B26 models, they were a scarce aircraft in the PTO and had received less than favorable press.
    At best the USAAC regarded them as a stop gap until sufficient B25s arrived.
    That aside, and I may stand corrected, most of the PTO Marauders that I have seen photographs of were the early model with hand held guns in the tail position.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Without checking I would think the RAAF aircrew avoided the early B26 models, they were a scarce aircraft in the PTO and had received less than favorable press.
    At best the USAAC regarded them as a stop gap until sufficient B25s arrived.
    That aside, and I may stand corrected, most of the PTO Marauders that I have seen photographs of were the early model with hand held guns in the tail position.
    I'm not sure either but I think you're right. Photos of Pacific Marauders are rare in the references I've perused, and the ones I've seen are all of early models and taken early in the war. I believe the 22nd Group was the only Marauder unit in the south or southwest Pacific. There was a Marauder unit in Alaska for a while, and I believe it was some of their planes that showed up to drop torpedoes (and miss with them) at the Battle of Midway. Otherwise I think the B-26 was a European War airplane.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure either but I think you're right. Photos of Pacific Marauders are rare in the references I've perused, and the ones I've seen are all of early models and taken early in the war. I believe the 22nd Group was the only Marauder unit in the south or southwest Pacific. There was a Marauder unit in Alaska for a while, and I believe it was some of their planes that showed up to drop torpedoes (and miss with them) at the Battle of Midway. Otherwise I think the B-26 was a European War airplane.
    Mick,
    Here is a link to three photos (hopefully) of Martins belonging to the "Silver Fleet" in New Guinea. The man standing in front of "Pistol Packin' Mama" in the second photo is James Gallagher, a communications officer (and amateur photographer) with the 33rd Fighter Control Squadron. The photo was taken at Dobodura in 1944. The profile painting appears accurate in comparison to other Silver Fleet photos I've seen.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...topic&p=133891
    Last edited by Hurricane91; September 15th, 2017 at 09:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Mick,
    Here is a link to three photos (hopefully) of Martins belonging to the "Silver Fleet" in New Guinea. The man standing in front of "Pistol Packin' Mama" in the second photo is James Gallagher, a communications officer (and armature photographer) with the 33rd Fighter Control Squadron. The photo was taken at Dobodura in 1944. The profile painting appears accurate in comparison to other Silver Fleet photos I've seen. http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...topic&p=133891
    Cool! I might be able to extract the nose art, name and tail marking and put them on a texture. I've copied the profile and I'll put it on my list. The profile must depict the plane in the fall of 1943, just after the insignia's mid-1943 red outline appears to have been removed and before it was replaced (if it ever was) with a blue border. I like that red-bordered insignia, so I might backdate the plane to the summer of '43.

I have profiles of two other silver 19th BS planes that I was able to get the art from profiles on Wings Palette. I can only hope the artwork is correct. A lot of incorrect guesswork turns up on those profiles,when artists have made color drawings from black & white photos, or just artistic license. (It's entirely possible that I've copied such errors or made some of my own in my paint jobs, hopefully not often.)

It's interesting that some of those old early silver Marauders were still around in 1944! Too bad the pictures don't show the whole plane or the colors of the markings. I have enough p;lanes to paint anyway though...

Members who have read this thread: 2