Martin Marauder Gold for FS9 has been released - Page 6
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin Marauder Gold for FS9 has been released

Just to let you know I'm not "slacking off", work is now focused on constructing the gear from scratch.

Had a 3 hour mesh issue last night that slowed progress but now all resolved.

Hope to get the WIP main gear completed today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gear.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

That is one sexy leg Milton.

Quote Originally Posted by HorusJ View Post
    That is one sexy leg Milton.
    LOL Yup! Got the mains finished now, animated and setup in the sim; they work beautifully.

Working on the nose gear now.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Should wrap up the gear stuff today; all gear now in place and animated, and tuned. Long legs, awesome handling, landings and take-offs on any strip, unimproved or otherwise. She will handle it. Need some brake lines on the mains, and nose doors for the fuselage for the wrap up today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails legs.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Putting the gear construction to bed for now. Still have some brake lines and gear door hinges to add before the wrap.

Now is time for a complete exterior review before mapping for textures.

I do have bomb bay door control arms to add but that is more interior than exterior.

Note in the attached, the nose gear steering is set up as castoring for realism and I am showing about a 75 degree turn. Per the manual, steering turns should limited to 35 degrees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-24-007.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-24-008.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Putting the gear construction to bed for now. Still have some brake lines and gear door hinges to add before the wrap.

Now is time for a complete exterior review before mapping for textures.

I do have bomb bay door control arms to add but that is more interior than exterior.

Note in the attached, the nose gear steering is set up as castoring for realism and I am showing about a 75 degree turn. Per the manual, steering turns should limited to 35 degrees.
    She's a real beauty, Milton!

Blog Entries
    Note in the attached, the nose gear steering is set up as castoring for realism and I am showing about a 75 degree turn.
    And a well turned ankle it is, Milton. Beautiful ship sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Maty12 View Post
    She's a real beauty, Milton!
    Ah, thank you Sir :-) She does seem to be shaping up rather well. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    And a well turned ankle it is, Milton. Beautiful ship sir.
    Interesting comment there Tom; I'm a "leg man" myself with respect to aircraft.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

A Question to B-26 Marauder Painters

I just completed mapping the fuselage at 9 meters to get as much detail as possible.

Now on the winds, and oooops! I need a minimum of 10.5 meters. I know, I usually check that before mapping the fuselage. :-/

Options:

1) Go back and remap the fuselage at 10.5 meters (give up some detail), or
    2) Leave the fuselage at 9 meters and continue the wings at 10.5

With regard to lines and rivets (if you use them), I know this can be a pain in sizing.

I would like your input as to this question before proceeding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-25-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-25-002.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

While awaiting your responses, I completed mapping the wings and tails.
    If I must remap the fuselage, that will require another couple hours, but that is okay.

Saturday I will complete mapping the engines but can have a painters' package available Saturday early for those of you wanting to get started with the fuselage, wings and tails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails map.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Big, BIG, BIIIIIG!!!!

I just completed mapping the fuselage at 9 meters to get as much detail as possible.

Now on the winds, and oooops! I need a minimum of 10.5 meters. I know, I usually check that before mapping the fuselage. :-/

Amazing work, My Friend! :-)

Options:

1) Go back and remap the fuselage at 10.5 meters (give up some detail), or
    2) Leave the fuselage at 9 meters and continue the wings at 10.5

With regard to lines and rivets (if you use them), I know this can be a pain in sizing.

I would like your input as to this question before proceeding.

As always; legendary work, My Friend! :-)

Input:

Size is everything - no problem working to differences in scale/sizing - it's so easily compensated for.

So my option would always be Number 2).

OR

Do the wings to the same scale as the fuse and place the wingtips cleverly elswhere on the texture sheet - which admittedly makes texturing everso slightly more...'interesting'.

OR

Greedy rivethappy, split the wings in 3 (1. left outboard of nacelle, 2. both inboard sections, 3. right outboard of nacelle)...but then you'll wan't to go and subdivide the fuse into 3 as well...

tick, tick, tick 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,

Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

I guess this won't make you happy Milton, as I prefer option 1 to have everything is the same scale. It can be compensated but in my opinion lines and rivets which are enlarged or reduced in size always loose some sharpness.

Most important however it that they aren't stretched. Although it creates interesting challenges for instance with shading, I always prefer a extra texture instead of leaving out details because of blurry and stretched lines and rivets.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    I guess this won't make you happy Milton, as I prefer option 1 to have everything is the same scale. It can be compensated but in my opinion lines and rivets which are enlarged or reduced in size always loose some sharpness.

Most important however it that they aren't stretched. Although it creates interesting challenges for instance with shading, I always prefer a extra texture instead of leaving out details because of blurry and stretched lines and rivets.

Cheers,
    Huub
    I'm with Huub on this.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post

Cheers,
    Huub
    The fuselage has been remapped so all exterior body parts are of the same scale, 10.5 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I'm with Huub on this.
    Pfffft! Ganging up, huh? :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    As always; legendary work, My Friend! :-)

Input:

Size is everything - no problem working to differences in scale/sizing - it's so easily compensated for.

So my option would always be Number 2).

OR

Do the wings to the same scale as the fuse and place the wingtips cleverly elswhere on the texture sheet - which admittedly makes texturing everso slightly more...'interesting'.

OR

Greedy rivethappy, split the wings in 3 (1. left outboard of nacelle, 2. both inboard sections, 3. right outboard of nacelle)...but then you'll wan't to go and subdivide the fuse into 3 as well...

tick, tick, tick 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,

Hello my friend :-) Great to see you above the waterline for a change. Air is good. Don't be a stranger.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Marauder Painters

Are you ready to get started?

I am mapping the engines now; not sure how long they will take but I have assembled a package for you to get started as you wish (since it is the weekend).

The package has been uploaded for you. Here is the readme:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B-26B/C Marauder by Milton Shupe for FS9 or FSX port over

This model represents the B-26B-10 through the B-26C-55 models. See the included profiles.jpg for visuals.

The attached FS Model files are assembled for painters.
    They represent work in progress and are shared early for painters to get started.

The 3-views are shared as reference material and may not represent the actual model shape.

The unzipped ones were used for modeling. I received the better resolution, better quality, zipped 3-views after the modeling was done, but they are great for reference.

The texture templates are provided at 2048 in size for ease of painting.
    FS9 textures must be 1024.
    FSX textures can be larger of course.

NOTE: A word to the wise: This package contains WIP everything so things may change. Assuming no mesh or mapping errors are found, the exterior model has no further planned changes to affect your work. The flight model is a WIP as well. Panel and Sound folders are aliased to the Harpoon.

Since this is a community project, you may share your WIP screenshots as you wish.

Textures assignment names for wheels, tires, guns, and prop mesh may change so you may want to hold off on those items for a couple weeks as I wrap up mapping miscellaneous items.

Hope you enjoy the Marauder.

Milton Shupe
    Fenruary 25, 2017

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Consider this the base release; updates that follow will require this download. I also did not label the parts on these paint templates as I thought they were obvious and simple. The engines will be a different story.

Download link: http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...26painters.zip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WIP.jpg  
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; February 25th, 2017 at 10:04.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Panel

A nice panel bmp is available from Carlos, check his SOH thread.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...for-the-Storch

Here is pic.
    Add some of the A26 gauges from the SOH project and you are set.

FSX panel

See above for panel info.

Thanks Seahawk72; beautiful work there by Gaucho.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I would advise painters to do a thorough checkout of the maps and mesh before proceeding with serious work and check here often. I would hate to have to make changes if errors are found that cause you to lose time. :-)

The engines prove to be a challenge, as usual, when mapping, Lots of nooks and crannies to map separately with 12 separate map/material channels. The air and oil cooler intakes/outlet, and the gear bay, plus internal cowl lips, etc. keep me on my toes. Making progress on the left engine but still have to add cowl and oil flaps. Hope to get both engines done before bedtime.

EDIT: Engine 0 mapping now completed with flaps and oil cooler flap added. Onto engine 1 ... after an afternoon nap. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eng0f.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Nice, Milton, very nice model!

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by adiazcay View Post
    Nice, Milton, very nice model!

Regards
    Well, thank you Sir; sorry I missed you during the RTWR. Would have loved to chat.

Okay, engines mapping now completed so I need to focus on what to do with the engine height as was mentioned earlier.

Should have you an updated model with engine maps Sunday.

Hope you painters are checking the maps and mesh closely. :-)

EDIT: BTW, if the painters would like a fuselage only, wings only, or tails only model for testing, I can provide that. Or if you need some help with wing on fuselage positioning, I can do that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-25-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-25-002.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-25-003.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Before moving on to finish mapping the miscellaneous items on the exterior, I am focusing on "stance" of the fully loaded aircraft (37,000 lbs).

Adjusting main gear height and nose gear length for the later models, and static compression for the weighted nose gear. I think I am getting close.

This raised static pitch by 2 degrees which was the purpose of the longer nose gear to help with take off attitude.

I'll send this off to Tom Falley (Fliger747) who is improving on the flight model.

Now, back to work :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stance.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Now Milton, there's just one more thing I've noticed. I know you've spent countless hours pushing the polys there, but here it is. I know you'll go"dang...!" Sorry
    The cowl looks much improved, looking great, but it's the nacelles behind the engine that doesn't look quite right.
    To my eye it drops down slightly a bit and still needs to be pushed up a bit. Not the engine cowls, they look perfect right now, but it's the area behind the engines I'm talking about. I've highlighted the area in question with a red box and I've scribed a couple of red lines on the top and bottom to show it should be angled up a little. If you just push the polys up to make level the top and bottom, it would make a big improvement to more closely match the real look of the Marauder. The engines would not need to be touched, just move it up to be level with the adjusted nacelles.
    It looks great what you done so far.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stance.jpg  
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Now Milton, there's just one more thing I've noticed. I know you've spent countless hours pushing the polys there, but here it is. I know you'll go"dang...!" Sorry
    The cowl looks much improved, looking great, but it's the nacelles behind the engine that doesn't look quite right.
    To my eye it drops down slightly a bit and still needs to be pushed up a bit. Not the engine cowls, they look perfect right now, but it's the area behind the engines I'm talking about. I've highlighted the area in question with a red box and I've scribed a couple of red lines on the top and bottom to show it should be angled up a little. If you just push the polys up to make level the top and bottom, it would make a big improvement to more closely match the real look of the Marauder.
    It looks great what you done so far.
    mrogers, actually in that picture I had tried raising the top a bit but the engines were still not right, so I put that back to original positions.

I have now canted the engines up 1 degree as I intended (now that the mapping is done), and refitted to the wing all around the nacelles.
    It looks much better and the views are correct and the height is correct with the wing per the 3 views.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 2