Martin Marauder Gold for FS9 has been released
Page 1 of 30 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin Marauder Gold for FS9 has been released

Martin Marauder Gold for FS9 has been released

Been wanting to do this for a few years now. Just started yesterday.

This project will be managed differently.

I will model it and map it for textures, put together a basic VC panel/gauges, and flight model.

Then I will release the package for you to finish as you wish.

Paint, sounds, panel textures, and effects will be on you. :-)

Might be a fun way to get folks involved.

EDIT: By the way, if anyone has access to a POH or Maintenance manual, that would be helpful.
    EDIT2: Now have teh POH and Training manuals; thanks.

Also, the main gear works totally different on the Marauder. If anyone knows of a video that shows gear retraction/extension, that would be helpful.
    I have a few basic cockpit pics but if you have access to a "plethora" of such, that too would be helpful. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-6-001.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-6-002.jpg  
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; February 6th, 2017 at 12:48.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Early short wing or later long wing? Either way it sounds like a fun project.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Another nice project Milton. When I have my real life sorted out by the time you are ready to do the mapping I volunteer for the external textures.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Early short wing or later long wing? Either way it sounds like a fun project.
    Working on the "D" model, 71' wing span now and the large air intakes for the double dust filters.

I may do the short wing span, but then you get into a lot of changes with the wings, nacelles and rear fuselage, and the flight model is much different.

Just have to see how it goes.

EDIT: The "B-50" is also part of these plans.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Another nice project Milton. When I have my real life sorted out by the time you are ready to do the mapping I volunteer for the external textures.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Thank you Huub. This is going to be a higher fidelity exterior model than one we have now so that should yield a better visual experience overall.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Sadly, I don't have an operating manual for the Marauder, my operating manuals are DC-3, B-29, and A-26 Invader.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade408 View Post
    Sadly, I don't have an operating manual for the Marauder, my operating manuals are DC-3, B-29, and A-26 Invader.
    Thanks; no problem, we will find what we need; always do. :-)

EDIT: I now have the POH and Training Manuals. Thank you
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Ooh, a B-26 Marauder. Nice!

You know, the stories of valor and heroism on all sides in that war are without end. But I've always been moved by the torpedo attack, by four lonely B-26s of the 22nd and 38th BG, on the Japanese Carrier Striking Force during the Battle of Midway. A remarkable story...

HERE
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

At last

Thank you Milton, been waiting for a modern version of the B-26 for FS2004 for what seems like ages. As for repaints - I have a couple in mind courtesy of the box-top art of the Airfix ('Mild and Bitter') and Matchbox ('The big hairy bird' 6B-T) kits that I built as a kid.

Regarding "Mild and Bitter" you might find the following video of interest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVo6G05UgNU

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Another great WW2 twin, long neglected types in FSX. Thanks Milton.

How to fly the B26 lots of internal shots...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIsoj1QPAc

and 50 hr inspection - might be useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM77kDw_HMA

a bit of colour...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adpgM1PjFak

and some Marauder boneyard scenes, North Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ouI8MOPac

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post

You know, the stories of valor and heroism on all sides in that war are without end. But I've always been moved by the torpedo attack, by four lonely B-26s of the 22nd and 38th BG, on the Japanese Carrier Striking Force during the Battle of Midway. A remarkable story...

HERE
    Thank you Paul; off to read it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by rgatkinson View Post
    Thank you Milton, been waiting for a modern version of the B-26 for FS2004 for what seems like ages. As for repaints - I have a couple in mind courtesy of the box-top art of the Airfix ('Mild and Bitter') and Matchbox ('The big hairy bird' 6B-T) kits that I built as a kid.

Regarding "Mild and Bitter" you might find the following video of interest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVo6G05UgNU

Taff
    Taff, that's a great paint scheme; have a few shots of that myself. :-) Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Another great WW2 twin, long neglected types in FSX. Thanks Milton.
    For certain and that's why I wanted to do it for a while now. We'll try to have some fun with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    How to fly the B26 lots of internal shots...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIsoj1QPAc

and 50 hr inspection - might be useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM77kDw_HMA

a bit of colour...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adpgM1PjFak

and some Marauder boneyard scenes, North Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ouI8MOPac
    Ahh, great stuff SPman. Am off to check them over.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

My first Flight Instructor had been a Martin Marauder pilot during the Big One. When asked, he would quietly and very specifically make certain you understood that he flew the "Martin" B-26 and not that Douglas one....
    He wouldn't talk about the War but would talk about Flying the B-26. Those conversations spawned a further interest in the airplane. Was the only guy I ever met that had that connection. He said the airplane had a bad reputation for no reason. He said if you respected the machine and its capabilities, flew it by the book, she'd do the job and bring you home. Nothing but respect for him.... He was a fantastic pilot and taught me a finesse for airplanes and lessons that would later save my a** a time or two. He didn't think he was getting through to me but he did...and I will NEVER forget him, and never was able to properly thank him for all that.

Thank you Milton

I've been hoping for this for many years. I can remember the first time my father-in-law saw MSFS. He was sitting behind me as I loaded up the Dave Eckert model with one of Damien's repaints. As I taxied into position, he leaned forward and said "Remember to watch your airspeed on take-off.." then proceeded to critique my flying for the next 20 minutes.

He was a Marauder Man... a pilot with the 397th BG in France and Holland 1944-45

I have some of his archives (he was fairly involved with the B-26 historical group while he was alive) and several boxes that may include more photos but there never seems to be time to sift through them. I'll try, but it won't be until the end of the month (there's a race to be run first)

I'll also put together a list of all the links I've collected on the aircraft (about 30).
    There's a B-26 being restored at the MAPS Museum http://mapsairmuseum.org/aircraft-on-display/ -one of the three recovered from "Million Dollar Valley" in northern BC with a few photos (none of the landing gear) and they may be willing to help.
    There is also the Marauder Archives at the University of Akron (OH) http://www.b26.com/page/my_trip_to_t...r_archives.htm

More later...

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post

HERE
    Paul,
    There is a second painting of the same event here: http://www.aviationarthangar.com/avarthaombyj.html

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    While doing lead work around Chicago one day I discovered the man I was interviewing had been a Martin B-26 crew chief at a WWII training school INCONUS. He got as much time in the air in the aircraft as he could. On one trip he was at the airplane when the IP arrived (in his tailored uniform) with a student pilot in tow. He said the student was a "Gee, Mr. Wizard!" kind of guy and the IP took advantage of this once they were up by going to a fairly isolated area and attempting a spin in the aircraft - something my host said was STRICTLY forbidden. The IP put the aircraft into a spin and after about a turn and a half started to apply corrective action, which didn't take right away. This gentleman told me he could actually see the sweat flowing out of the pilot's uniform, soaking it around the chute and seat straps while he worked to regain control. The aircraft had gotten away from the IP but he eventually recovered it. As they wearily climbed back up to a safe altitude he recalled the student saying something like, "Gee, sir, that was interesting but I didn't see everything you did to get us out of that. Do you think you could do that again?"

My host and the pilot shared a knowing look once they were back on the ground, but said nothing to the kid. He told me he never before or since ever saw such a display of utter, stark fear displayed like that by anyone.

He didn't tell me, but I'll bet the IP kept that kid's attention on other things than asking questions in public about what they had done.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Been wanting to do this for a few years now. Just started yesterday.

This project will be managed differently.

I will model it and map it for textures, put together a basic VC panel/gauges, and flight model.

Then I will release the package for you to finish as you wish.

Paint, sounds, panel textures, and effects will be on you. :-)

Might be a fun way to get folks involved.

EDIT: By the way, if anyone has access to a POH or Maintenance manual, that would be helpful.
    EDIT2: Now have teh POH and Training manuals; thanks.

Also, the main gear works totally different on the Marauder. If anyone knows of a video that shows gear retraction/extension, that would be helpful.
    I have a few basic cockpit pics but if you have access to a "plethora" of such, that too would be helpful. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Another nice project Milton. When I have my real life sorted out by the time you are ready to do the mapping I volunteer or the external textures.

Cheers,
    Huub
    You two Gentlemen just made my day!

Loving it!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

This is certainly great news, I don't think there has been a detailed Marauder for FS9 since Dave Eckert's superb model, which I'm still flying. I got a CD player installed in that ol' bird.... probably will put one in this model too.

Any news of projects from "Shupe Industries" is always great news.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Yes! Milton doing a Marauder, this is amazing. I can't help too much with the D, but as for the short wing, which is my favorite variant, I can give you:

A documentary showing the stages of building a B-26, including a landing gear retraction/extension test (external and internal shots):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnb0Ib5F9GU

And the Pilot's Manual for the B-26-MA, B-26A and B-26B:
    http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.o...structions.pdf

I hope they're of use to you

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Thank you Milton

I've been hoping for this for many years. I can remember the first time my father-in-law saw MSFS. He was sitting behind me as I loaded up the Dave Eckert model with one of Damien's repaints. As I taxied into position, he leaned forward and said "Remember to watch your airspeed on take-off.." then proceeded to critique my flying for the next 20 minutes.

He was a Marauder Man... a pilot with the 397th BG in France and Holland 1944-45

I have some of his archives (he was fairly involved with the B-26 historical group while he was alive) and several boxes that may include more photos but there never seems to be time to sift through them. I'll try, but it won't be until the end of the month (there's a race to be run first)

I'll also put together a list of all the links I've collected on the aircraft (about 30).
    There's a B-26 being restored at the MAPS Museum http://mapsairmuseum.org/aircraft-on-display/ -one of the three recovered from "Million Dollar Valley" in northern BC with a few photos (none of the landing gear) and they may be willing to help.
    There is also the Marauder Archives at the University of Akron (OH) http://www.b26.com/page/my_trip_to_t...r_archives.htm

More later...
    LOL Robl very interesting. Thanks for the inputs; always helpful and welcomed.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    While doing lead work around Chicago one day I discovered the man I was interviewing had been a Martin B-26 crew chief at a WWII training school INCONUS. He got as much time in the air in the aircraft as he could. On one trip he was at the airplane when the IP arrived (in his tailored uniform) with a student pilot in tow. He said the student was a "Gee, Mr. Wizard!" kind of guy and the IP took advantage of this once they were up by going to a fairly isolated area and attempting a spin in the aircraft - something my host said was STRICTLY forbidden. The IP put the aircraft into a spin and after about a turn and a half started to apply corrective action, which didn't take right away. This gentleman told me he could actually see the sweat flowing out of the pilot's uniform, soaking it around the chute and seat straps while he worked to regain control. The aircraft had gotten away from the IP but he eventually recovered it. As they wearily climbed back up to a safe altitude he recalled the student saying something like, "Gee, sir, that was interesting but I didn't see everything you did to get us out of that. Do you think you could do that again?"

My host and the pilot shared a knowing look once they were back on the ground, but said nothing to the kid. He told me he never before or since ever saw such a display of utter, stark fear displayed like that by anyone.

He didn't tell me, but I'll bet the IP kept that kid's attention on other things than asking questions in public about what they had done.
    Very interesting tale Sir! Always a pleasure to hear from those who've been there.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    This is certainly great news, I don't think there has been a detailed Marauder for FS9 since Dave Eckert's superb model, which I'm still flying. I got a CD player installed in that ol' bird.... probably will put one in this model too.

Any news of projects from "Shupe Industries" is always great news.

BB686
    That was my observation as well, and yet even with age it gets a lot of play and attention. Yes, time for a newer version and I hope that together, SOH contributors can evolve a nice one for FS9 standards.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Maty12 View Post
    Yes! Milton doing a Marauder, this is amazing. I can't help too much with the D, but as for the short wing, which is my favorite variant, I can give you:

A documentary showing the stages of building a B-26, including a landing gear retraction/extension test (external and internal shots):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnb0Ib5F9GU

And the Pilot's Manual for the B-26-MA, B-26A and B-26B:
    http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.o...structions.pdf

I hope they're of use to you
    Great! Thanks for any contributions. The gear movement is a key differentiation.
    Familiarity with the model variants helps decision making.

I am modeling to the D50 but for the most part it is the same as the C model which added longer wings, main gear changes and other improvements.\
    EDIT: From the variant info, the B-26B-55 thru B-26-C45 or 55 and Marauder II models that fit the current focus.

See variant info here.

Still working on the fuselage to get all the features in place before moving on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-7-003.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-7-002.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2017-feb-7-001.jpg  
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; February 7th, 2017 at 08:45.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I like A-20s, but I'm more excited about the Marauder. When someone says medium bomber it's the one that comes to my mind. A new Milton version?? I'm in love already.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Members who have read this thread: 2