P-40 by A.F. Scrub

Thread: P-40 by A.F. Scrub

P-40 by A.F. Scrub

Several years back, A.F. Scrub released a freeware P-40. He mapped it similar to the A2A P-40 for FSX, which makes it easy for the paint kit by Martin Catney aka (ICDP) to be used on his model. Scrub included a texture I did for the A2A version, however it doesn't quite fit. The shark mouth was not lined up properly along with a few other things. It has always bugged me that a texture I did was out there and it looked horrible on the plane. I have been working on making the corrections and lining things up. I think I have got it all set, especially the mouth. I will be uploading soon, along with other textures.

If you don't have it, it's not a bad plane at all. The exterior model is pretty good. The VC, not so much, but it's free. Could use some help with the air file, the nose is heavy!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails am461_2.jpg   am461_1.jpg   am461.jpg  

Looks great!

I'll have to rustle up a copy of the plane while you finish the paint job.

Looks good to me. Not having much luck finding the aircraft though. Grateful if someone could post a link if/when they do find it.

Cheers,

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 WarbirdsFS2004/FSX Curtiss P40 Tomahawk
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: curtiss_p40tomahawk.zip
    Size: 28,532,504 Date: 06-04-2012 Downloads: 3,308

FS2004/FSX Curtiss P40 Tomahawk. The Curtiss P-40 was undoubtedly one of the most controversial fighters to serve in quantity during the Second World War. It was praised and abused, lauded and vilified, but the fact remains that, as the first American single-seat fighter to be manufactured on a mass-production basis, it bore much of the brunt of the air warfare over several battle fronts. Its performance was inferior to the performances of the majority of its antagonists, but this shortcoming was partly compensated for by its tractability and its sturdiness which enabled it to withstand a considerable amount of punishment. It was amenable to adaptation and it was available when most sorely needed. Gmax model by A.F. Scrub.

Cheers Navtech

Taff

Thanks folks.

Thanks Navtech for the link. Sorry about not posting it myself.

Here is a look at a AVG version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails neale_1.jpg   neale.jpg   neale_2.jpg  

Hi Brian,
    Nice repaints there, thanks.

No slight on your work, BUT this ac really needs a little sheen/shine! Looks so flat and 2D as is.

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks Shessi, I agree with the sheen, however this model will not accept any changes using MDLMAt.

While we're talking about sheen could MDLMAT be used to turn down the sheen on the Iris P-40s? They shine like they've just come out of the showroom!

Also, do you have any plans to do repaints for Scrub's P-40E/F/M/N models Rob? They would sure benefit from your attention.

Taff

Brian,
    Use mk_mdlc to do it, works well, see pics.

Tweaked the ac.cfg for slightly less nose heaviness, and a bit more performance, see attached. Not perfect but better, needs a concerted effort to get it right.

Cheers

Shessi

Hi,
    This model is first release A2A P-40 ( not accusim) converted to FS9.
    I am author of external model for A2A and A.F. Scrub 3d mesh is the same as in A2A model. Texture and mapping is also "borrowed" from A2A P-40. His portfolio is full of models used without any promision of author. I found some of my payware and freeware works "copies".
    A.F. Scrub is simple a thief.

BTW P40E/F and P-40M/N is also illegal copy of my work.

Hi Krzysztof,

Although the occasion is perhaps not what I had in mind, it is really good to see you are still around.

I always found it odd that the A2A mapping exactly matched with Mr Scrub's model, but now I know my doubts are confirmed. Both the included liveries are "borrowed" as well. RobH did the RAF 112 squadron livery and I did the AVG Flying tiger livery. We both did them for the A2A WOPII P-40 and they are both based on Martin "ICDP" Catney's excellent paintkit for the A2A P-40. I personally didn't really care about the fact my livery was used as I do my repaints for fun.

Thanks for all the lovely models you gave us over the years, and some of them are still flown quite regular, even after all these years!

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Krzych61 View Post
    Hi,
    This model is first release A2A P-40 ( not accusim) converted to FS9.
    I am author of external model for A2A and A.F. Scrub 3d mesh is the same as in A2A model. Texture and mapping is also "borrowed" from A2A P-40. His portfolio is full of models used without any promision of author. I found some of my payware and freeware works "copies".
    A.F. Scrub is simple a thief.

BTW P40E/F and P-40M/N is also illegal copy of my work.
    Thank you Krzysztof,

I did not realize this was your work. It certainly explains a lot.

I will remove the model immediately. I do not like to be involved in work that was stolen, even if it's just a repaint.

Thanks again for letting us know. I am sorry about that.

Take care!

I thought it a bit odd that he included, and gave credit to Huub and RobH for the "wing" textures, but I didn't see any mention for Krzysztof as the original author of the model. I had downloaded it before reading this far into this thread, so in respect for the real authors, for the paints as well as the model... I dumped it. I have the IRIS P-40's and those suit me just fine.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

For those who are looking for a FS2004 P-40 B/C, the nice shareware P-40 by Bruce Thorson is still available (at least at Flightsim.com). And there are a huge amount of repaints available for this model.

A service pack use to be available for $5, but as the model is around for quite a while I don't know whether this is still available.

For those who are looking for any later versions, I think Krzysztof Malinowski has done most of them (if not all) for CFS2 and I think they are all still available at Simviation.

And for those who don't have enough with these, there is a post-war civilian P-40Q done by Piglet available in our library.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    For those who are looking for a FS2004 P-40 B/C, the nice shareware P-40 by Bruce Thorson is still available (at least at Flightsim.com). And there are a huge amount of repaints available for this model.

A service pack use to be available for $5, but as the model is around for quite a while I don't know whether this is still available.

For those who are looking for any later versions, I think Krzysztof Malinowski has done most of them (if not all) for CFS2 and I think they are all still available at Simviation.

And for those who don't have enough with these, there is a post-war civilian P-40Q done by Piglet available in our library.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Huub,

Can you point me in the direction of the P-40Q made by Piglet that you mention above? I have searched the SOH library and cannot find it :-(

Taff

I've known about Scrub's dubious activities for a while now and still wonder why FlightSim lets him continue to upload to their library.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I read one of Krzysztof's readmes, (from his Ki-100) in it he says that anyone is free to do any freeware work with his files, also he goes on to say that you dont need to ask for permission or special authorization. Scrub has made his own aircraft too so it's not all other people's models.Some he has credited the original authors.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    I read one of Krzysztof's readmes, (from his Ki-100) in it he says that anyone is free to do any freeware work with his files, also he goes on to say that you dont need to ask for permission or special authorization. Scrub has made his own aircraft too so it's not all other people's models.Some he has credited the original authors.
    This is from the ReadMe from Krzysztof's P-40F:

- You are free to do any freeware work with these files.
    - You MUST keep a copy of this file "Original.txt" with any redistribution of these files.
    - You don't need to ask permission or special authorization or any of that as long as "Original.txt" file is in your package.
    - These files are NOT to be used on any payware sites, payware projects, or freeware sites requiring paid access.

It would seem that Scrubby's only offense may have been not including the original ReadMe file. IF in fact it is the same model, and IF the verbiage in Krzysztof's early Hawk is the same. I don't have Krzysztof's early P-40 so I can't compare the models or check that ReadMe file. I hope someone will do that and tell us what they find out.

When Scrubby converted one of Thicko's Brewster Buffalos to FS9 he gave proper credit, as with others of his conversions.

It's all very foggy and uncertain!

If he's converting A2A aircraft and then uploading them as freeware as said above, he can get his tailfeathers caught in a crack.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Got it - thanks

Taff

Members who have read this thread: 2