AI Combat addon (FSCaptain 1.8)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI Combat addon (FSCaptain 1.8)

AI Combat addon (FSCaptain 1.8)

It's coming in a couple of months. Beta freeware version, but final version
    will be payware.
    Brings in Free Flight abilities that was available in Mission System only, but
    much more refined and capable !

Fighting ground and surface AI forces, with all sorts of weapons modeled
    to fight realistically, damaging and downing user and with actual simobject
    shells casted against user. Tracers are not just random effects that is...

Plus repairs when landing to bases...

See at 28:40 and 33:00

I don't know how will this behave in Multiplayer, but is a great leap forward
    in FS regarding military combat operations...

There so many stuff going on right now that I'm standing on my toes all the time !...
    My Military Flight Videos :

Well, that looked cool, to say the least !

Hi All,

I should reply to this since I am the guy that did the video and also one of the team that maintains and enhances FSCaptain.

We are excited about this new coming capability. It does bring some things to the FSX/P3D action-oriented (combat or otherwise) environment that haven't been seen before.

We would love to be able to offer a public beta in a few months, but as you know time frames from developers are just educated guesses. We don't know what obstacles we may run into that would delay us. But as you could see in the video it's pretty capable right now.

I would not totally agree that the scripting system as it stands now is more refined and capable than the FSX scripting system - but it is lot easier to create missions with it. Because unlike with the elaborate FSX system, you don't have to tell the AI unit what to do, they will act somewhat on their own. You just tell them where to start and where to go. A typical FSCaptain-defined mission can be as simple as "you start here, your target is there, and then fly back here. Good luck!" It can place objects and it can move them around and they can shoot at you if hostile. Or you can rely on FSX@War to provide your opponents. And VRS Tacpack or CSWeapon to give you capability to shoot back. FSCaptain is aware of and works seamlessly with these three products. It will "weaponize" the existing SimObjects that FSX@War uses so that on an FSCaptain mission they will be hostile to you. That's exactly what was shown in the video.

Of course, being FSCaptain, it places each mission in the larger context of your career with your employer. Only now that could be more than the civilian air transport companies that we've supported since the beginning. In the video I am flying for Air America. It could be the USAF, or USN, or any organization. The results of your actions are tracked and recorded and you can advance in rank.

Combat missions are far from the only thing possible. Other mission types could be air drops of food, paratroops, or even firefighting chemicals. Another mission type is to fly to the target and pick up a payload. Think rescue, perhaps under fire. And you don't have to fake anything - any hostile AI SimObject placed in range and weaponized by the scripting engine will act accordingly.

Thus far, all development as been for a single-player environment, but we are committed to supporting multiplayer too.

We have tried to make this both capable yet very simple to use and understand.

Look forward to more developments as they occur. I will keep you posted.

Dutch

I don't know what has happened to the SOH video system, but it seems that certain types of video programs won't show to everyone lately. All we get is a black screen, with no links or anything on/in them. Seems others can see them. It would be nice if those posting videos could post a link to an off-site posting of the video also, at least until this gets figured out and fixed.

This sounds like an interesting development, but I can't view it.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

This is a direct link to the YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0PZq-OAW9I

And if even that doesn't work, go to YouTube and search for "Mission 55340" and you should find it easily.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    I don't know what has happened to the SOH video system, but it seems that certain types of video programs won't show to everyone lately. All we get is a black screen, with no links or anything on/in them. Seems others can see them. It would be nice if those posting videos could post a link to an off-site posting of the video also, at least until this gets figured out and fixed.

This sounds like an interesting development, but I can't view it.

Great vid and interesting move for FSCaptain. I've never used it before as I fly 90% military in the sim, but looks like a very easy GUI allowing for anyone with limited time to jump in and fly a quick stressful mission.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Thanks! I enjoyed doing that video, even though when I look at it now I realize how many mistakes I made. I'm still a such greenhorn with the military style missions! I only have about 21 hours in on my Air America career testing the new code having been sick much of the last two months. My other two fantasy "careers" are for Acme in Alaska, often challenging bush flying with the weather, terrain, and the Acme schedule and destinations. Hard to believe but I have 927 hours flown for them so far since 2009! And when the mood strikes me I switch and fly for the historical Piedmont Airlines with their short-hop multi-leg flights and hyper aggressive scheduling. A challenge in a different way. I've flown 470 hours for them. That's real hours - I do not use time acceleration. It's a good thing I make a living in the flight sim biz...

I see "Dustoff" in your signature. I will shortly have to do a video on a rescue-type mission. Of course with the Milviz Huey and a Dustoff paint, of course...and Charlie will probably be somewhere nearby. Those Dustoff crews were beyond incredible in the war.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Great vid and interesting move for FSCaptain. I've never used it before as I fly 90% military in the sim, but looks like a very easy GUI allowing for anyone with limited time to jump in and fly a quick stressful mission.

Yes Dutch, I do have a medevac background and would add that to the mission sets for those that do not own TP or CS Weps (not sure why one wouldn't). Cargo drops would be cool if you are scored on placement, the CS -130 and recently released C-160 would make that challenging like dropping bombs. Based on the FSX mission system, I had all kinds of cool ideas and purchased IMM, but never found the time to make accurate military style missions.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

For sure. Missions are scored by type and there are five basic types right now:

1 - Delivery - Load up some poundage and fly it from X to Y then fly to X or Z. Points when you deliver, and a few more if you get to your destination.

2 - Pickup - Fly from X to Y and pickup some poundage, then fly to Z or return to X. Poundage can be anything from wounded troops to your C.O.'s cigars it doesn't matter. Some points for getting there, most when pounds get to delivery point.

3 - Drop - Fly from X to Y and air drop pounds from the air, then fly to Z or return to X. Points if pounds land in mission defined target area, and a few more if you get to your destination.

4 - Recon - Fly from X to zone Y and patrol, then return to X or go to Z. Points for getting to zone, and a few more if you get to your destination.

5 - Attack - Fly from X to zone Y and strike targets if possible. Points for getting to target, points for hits, and a few more if you get to your destination.

Note you can get points even if you are shot and crash or have a forced landing.

Placement of AI SimObjects is optional to any of the above (as are they are blue or red) and what they do (ROE and movement) but they will engage or not by themselves. FSCaptain can place the objects, or FSX@War or any other add-on. FSCaptain adds military AI to any objects it sees whether from it or something else, based on a ruleset.

Yes the mission system for FSX is incredibly flexible but also very hard to make one, I know, I have tried. We want to make that easy. As simple as saying where X, Y, and Z are, the mission type, and optionally placing objects and scripting their activity if any.

Medevac would be a pickup type mission. Hat's off to you sir for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Yes Dutch, I do have a medevac background and would add that to the mission sets for those that do not own TP or CS Weps (not sure why one wouldn't). Cargo drops would be cool if you are scored on placement, the CS -130 and recently released C-160 would make that challenging like dropping bombs. Based on the FSX mission system, I had all kinds of cool ideas and purchased IMM, but never found the time to make accurate military style missions.

Yes the mission system for FSX is incredibly flexible but also very hard to make one, I know, I have tried. We want to make that easy. As simple as saying where X, Y, and Z are, the mission type, and optionally placing objects and scripting their activity if any.
    Bringing the FSX/P3D Mission System potential, into Free Flight for any user to use easily, it's what impresses me with
    your work Dutch ! Well done.

On a side note concerning multiplayer, now with the abilities that JoinFS brings, your program will
    serve well as an easy mission editor for people to fly some scenarios together, either it be combat or GA !...

JoinFS Cross platform multiplayer flying, this FSCaptain, MP scripted Missions with Tacpack... fantastic times for the FS
    community !
    My Military Flight Videos :

Quote Originally Posted by ceo1944 View Post
    This is a direct link to the YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0PZq-OAW9I

And if even that doesn't work, go to YouTube and search for "Mission 55340" and you should find it easily.

Dutch
    Thanks for the link, Dutch. Worked great. Going to be watching this development.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Does is exist any webpage where is this tool (AI Combat addon). Cant find it.
    It looks interesting.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Excuse my ignorance - I fly mainly WW2 a/c and don't use any 'mission' system. I do have Gypsy Baron's FLAK package which is excellent, but I like the idea of flak that can actually damage you !

So my question - will this addon work/be available for native FSX without FSCaptain or similar ? i.e. would it be possible to place these simobjects using any of the normal scenery tools and then have them fire at you as you fly by ?

Nice stuff.

The website for FSCaptain is http://fscaptain.net - However the AI scripting system and ability for SimObjects to shoot at you is under development for 1.8 and we haven't officially released 1.7.3 yet, it's still in beta. The video was just a sneak peek (there will be more as it develops). We hope to have 1.8 out in beta form in a couple months. It will likely be available in several forms (see reply below).

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Does is exist any webpage where is this tool (AI Combat addon). Cant find it.
    It looks interesting.

Plans for packaging this technology so everyone will have what they want and no more are under consideration. This lineup is possible (subject to change):

1. A external program (yet to be named) that can allow any SimObject to use weapons according to a ruleset, but with no mission system.
    2. FSCaptain with the mission system and "action pack" AI, but not the "civilian" side of it.
    3. FSCaptain standard without the mission/AI system.
    4. FSCaptain with everything in it.

Sounds like option #1 is what you are looking for. It's likely that will be available too.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Excuse my ignorance - I fly mainly WW2 a/c and don't use any 'mission' system. I do have Gypsy Baron's FLAK package which is excellent, but I like the idea of flak that can actually damage you !

So my question - will this addon work/be available for native FSX without FSCaptain or similar ? i.e. would it be possible to place these simobjects using any of the normal scenery tools and then have them fire at you as you fly by ?

Nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ceo1944 View Post
    Plans for packaging this technology so everyone will have what they want and no more are under consideration. This lineup is possible (subject to change):

1. A external program (yet to be named) that can allow any SimObject to use weapons according to a ruleset, but with no mission system.
    2. FSCaptain with the mission system and "action pack" AI, but not the "civilian" side of it.
    3. FSCaptain standard without the mission/AI system.
    4. FSCaptain with everything in it.

Sounds like option #1 is what you are looking for. It's likely that will be available too.
    Yep - option #1 would be my choice. That's good news.

That's awesome! And I also put a vote in for option 1.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Just to inform that this has been publicly released for some time now.
    For not repeating myself, you may see my post over here :
    https://forums.vrsimulations.com/for...120790#p120790

And a demo video I made showcasing just two of the various weapons that you can equip
    your simobjects with : 1. ZSU-23 AA & 2. MANPAD "Stinger" IR Missile :

FSCAI doesn't need Tacpack or anything to run. Is standalone program.

This is TOO COOL

I am definitely going to be following this thread closely. I have FSCaptain and used it with civilian flights. I am really impressed after watching the T-28 video above. Looking forward to your release. You'll have a purchase from me and definitely want to test the beta if you'll let me. I have flown modern USN, WWII USN, Vietnam USN and USAAF WWII in flight simulator. Never thought CFS by MS was real enough and I didn't like how IL2 or COD was with all the button pushing (maybe just me). This looks great!!!

Beta 4 is publicly available. You can download it and fly with FSCAI shooting at you.
    Just follow the link I have provided above to see the details...

FSCaptain 1.8 Beta

I was at the FSCaptain website and saw the Beta Download on the forum for FSCaptain 1.8 Beta's. Do they contain the FSCCAI or is it a separate stand-alone download. I'm confused. Please clarify. Thank you.

FSCAI is installed as part of the FSCaptain Beta 4 1.8.0 installation.

You will find FSCAI.exe in FSX or P3D/FSCaptain/bin folder that is created after installation
    of beta 4.

Nevertheless, FSCAI.exe can run as a standalone program by double klicking the FSCAI.exe
    after you're in FSX/P3D environment (eg, Free Flight). Ie, you don't have to run it through
    the FSCaptain program.

Author's intention though, is FSCAI to be activated by FSCaptain when a combat assignment
    is chosen by the user through the FSCaptain interface. This is the case with T-28 first post video.

Still, using FSCAI as standalone as described, is also an "official" way of using it... and one of
    the options described above by the author of the program.

If you use it, don't forget to also add the folder I'm talking about at the VRS forum (attached to my post).

FSCAI demo combat scenario

FSCAI will change the way you view FSX/P3D in my opinion. Is
    really a "game" changer... For military & combat oriented FSX/P3D
    users, there is virtually no aviation scenario - historical or fictional -
    that cannot be simulated... And that is what FSX/P3D is about...

"A video = x1000 words" : Nam' - Heys attack a VC camp :

Which reminds me the "Falklands Crisis" mission and the ability to
    attack HMS Antelope FSCAI defended, with Cattaneo's MB326 & bombs...
    Or Than Hoa bridge at North Vietnam with proper VC defences,
    Or a pure Hellenic scenario of IMIA 1996 Crisis... or... or...

In video above, VC Base is protected by 2 x ZU-23 AAAs, and 2 x .50cal
    units (the jeep & the boat in the river) while FSCAI difficulty level was set
    to Hard.
    Which reminds me that many programmed features of FSCAI are not documented
    in the assignments.pdf, like :
    - the ability to surprise AI defences as in video (difficulty level - in Very Hard, fire
    had started about 3 miles before we reached the VC base, flight altitude and others)
    - the ability to supress with fire AI defences !... and other features.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So in FSX/P3D we currently have :

- the Whole world, sceneries almost about anything, almost any plane flyable or AI
    - Weapons & Systems for User's aircraft (VRS Tacpack or even Captain Sim's Weapon)
    - Destructible structures or whole theaters that anyone can built (FSX@War program)
    - Ground & Surface static or moving AI Defences (FSCAI)
    - The inherent ability of FSX/P3D for scripted aviation missions/scenarios, as also,
    quite close & similar, FSCaptain "Assignments" for scripted action in Free Flight mode.

Well, I can live with that... Even if the AI planes vs user ability doesn't exist (though it can
    be scripted to some extend also...). As a matter of fact I'm quite happy with the vast
    potential that opens it's gates...

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

PS : Dutch, I'm probably your best advertiser... You should consider pay me something
    but I'll compromise with a free copy of the final version for FSX...

I'll try that definitely, thanks for the note!

What I find a bit confusing are the multitude of great tools out there, and the way they interact (or not...). We have FSX@War, CCP, FSCAI, FSCaptain, etc. Then TacPack or CSWeapon. And then FSX/P3Ds own mission system. I think it's hard to keep an overview over all that when one not uses this all the time.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Got It

Just downloaded FSCaptain 1.8.0 V4 thank you for the info. Looking forward to new things.

Members who have read this thread: 1