early lancaster models?

Thread: early lancaster models?

early lancaster models?

Any in works? esp photo-recon variant.

Variants[edit]

B.I Media related to Avro Lancaster B Mark I at Wikimedia Commons
    The original Lancasters were produced with Rolls-Royce Merlin XX engines and SU carburettors. Minor details were changed throughout the production series – for example the pitot head design was changed from being on a long mast at the front of the nose to a short fairing mounted on the side of the fuselage under the cockpit. Later production Lancasters had Merlin 22 and 24 engines. No designation change was made to denote these alterations.[38]B.I Special Media related to Avro Lancaster B I Special at Wikimedia Commons

B1 Special releasing Grand Slam

32 Aircraft were adapted to take first the super-heavy "Tallboy" and then "Grand Slam" bombs. Up-rated engines with paddle-bladed propellers gave more power, and the removal of gun turrets reduced weight and gave smoother lines. For the Tallboy, the bomb bay doors were bulged; for the Grand Slam, they were removed completely and the area faired over. For some Tallboy raids, the mid-upper turret was removed. This modification was retained for the Grand Slam aircraft, and in addition the nose turret was later removed. Two airframes (HK541 and SW244) were modified to carry a dorsal "saddle tank" with 1,200 gal (5,455 L) mounted aft of a modified canopy for increasing range. No. 1577 SD Flight tested the aircraft in India and Australia in 1945 for possible use in the Pacific,[17] but the tank adversely affected handling characteristics when full and an early type of in-flight refuelling designed in the late 1930s for commercial flying boats was later used instead.[39]PR.1B 1 modified for photographic reconnaissance, operated by RAF No. 82 and No. 541 Squadrons, wartime. All armament and turrets were removed with a reconfigured nose and a camera carried in the bomb bay. The type was also operated by 683(PR) Squadron when it was re-formed in November 1950 to undertake photographic reconnaissance and mapping activities, initially based at RAF Fayid, Egypt, before moving to RAF Kabrit in February 1951, and subsequently Habbaniya in Iraq until the squadron was disbanded on 30 November 1953.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lancaster#Variants

I know there's a Grand Slam - carrying Lanc model in the AvH models. See the library.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Am I missing something? ETO has both Tallboy and Grand Slam carrying Lancs.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon23 well...it seems folks ......

Back around 2007 we released 10 different Lancasters including mkii's, Dambusters, GS (carry Grandslam and Tallboy) a post war version, plus the mkiii. Never did a mki. I guess they are all hiding somewhere in cyber space waiting to be found.

I know the gunstations leave a lot to be desired but the new Manchester will have some nicer ones.....

Are the Manchester Gun Stations basically the same as the Lancaster?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Icon22 same.....

well James I think I know why you are asking.....they used the same tail and nose turrets. The dorsal is different.....why do you ask pray tell

Well Ted; I think you know why! I remember I moved FP turrets into old Av Hist Lancs!

Ok the pressure......

I will make updated gunstations for the Lancasters. The dorsal turret will be easy.

Yeah! If they are the same except for the dorsal, I assume once you've done that, and done one Lanc, one could copy them to the others?

Members who have read this thread: 0