Royale French Navy F-8 Crusader Project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royale French Navy F-8 Crusader Project

Royale French Navy F-8 Crusader Project

Anyone have any updates concerning this RFN FSX version of The F-8 Crusader ? Mike

The last that I read (last November) is that the project is still moving forward with the exterior model being at 99% and the VC at 75-80%. So hopefully it won't be too much longer before we get an Open Beta mode to fly (similar to how the Etendard IV was released).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Your reply is much appreciated Storm ! Mike

Just bumping this thread up to see if anyone from the RFN Team can give an update on the F-8 project as it's been a while since the last post here and over at the RFN F-8 page.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The project seems to be still alive but is moving slowly...
    I'm pretty sure we'll be delighted when it's done!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Some of the folks working on certain parts of the project have been busy with the real world.
    So moving at a slower pace at the moment. But it's a beauty.

Good news Frank!
    I'm sure we won't be disappointed...

Any news on the progress of this project? NC

Last I read (recently) the project was shelved indefinitely. Sadly, I think that means that we will likely never see that F-8 come to fruition.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2018. That's all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    That is a LOT better than being shelved indefinitely! NC

Glad to hear it, I'd went on some of the french forums recently to try and see if I could find anything and hit much the same conclusion as StormILM. Been long time coming but if its anything like the rest of RFN's releases then it'll be worth the wait.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

This is my favourite old fighter, and it's in good hands.

I think it's going to be worth the wait.

Frank, that is certainly much better news than the last couple of forum posts I read on the development. This model has been in development since 2013 and after reading the post from last December 30th regarding the indefinite sidelining of the project, I had given up hope. I don't really use FSX much anymore but keep it for checking out any releases that will work in it. Fingers crossed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

These are already great news!!!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Just bumping this as I was pencilling in a possible USN F-8 Crusader project for the summer after finishing my Reporter. Is that a reasonably "definite" case that RFN will be launching their Crusader this year? I have a couple of other possible projects in the pipeline that I can switch to, just wanted a little more confirmation before doing so. I'm developing a real interest in carrier aviation so if you could let me know, by PM if necessary, that would be fab

P.S. I did try to PM you several times but the forum seems odd with PMs and my screen keeps locking up when trying to type them.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Just bumping this as I was pencilling in a possible USN F-8 Crusader project for the summer after finishing my Reporter. Is that a reasonably "definite" case that RFN will be launching their Crusader this year? I have a couple of other possible projects in the pipeline that I can switch to, just wanted a little more confirmation before doing so. I'm developing a real interest in carrier aviation so if you could let me know, by PM if necessary, that would be fab

P.S. I did try to PM you several times but the forum seems odd with PMs and my screen keeps locking up when trying to type them.
    First things first, if you're having issues with the forum contact "Dangerousdave26". They are on a funding drive right now
    for the coming year so I would think this would be a great time to get their attention while they have their hand out.
    (I'm having issues myself as I try to edit this response.)

I haven't asked specifically about there being a "reasonably "definite" case that RFN will be launching their Crusader this year".
    My comment was based on it being used most of the time during beta testing of the just released P3Dv4 compatible RFN Carrier
    gauge and future projects. And also from comments in emails. But that said, it will be a French F-8E(FN) and F-8P (Prolongé
    or mid-life extension, not the Philippines version). Unknown if there will be an F-8J in the mix but I have seen evidence.

Speaking only for myself, but what would really be appreciated is a RF-8 recon version.

Trying to play catch-up with the RFN Crusader would be futile since, from what I know, the 3D stuff and almost the entire coding is done. It's just the fancy stuff like radar and I guess some beta testing that's holding things up.

My heart jumps every time someone bumps this thread.

@fsafranek

Many thanks for replying! It seems as though they're focusing on the French version with some expansion then, as a general rule. I'm on the fence at the moment, but I'd like to have a crack at the Crusader so I think I'm going to go for it. I already have a basic mesh in place so it's something to look forward to. I got all inspired by the Sim Works Studios Midway battle group recently and as the old Alphasim Crusader was the only game in town ( so I thought ) I picked the type out as my next project. The last gunfighter deserves a proper bit of updated freeware, right?

An R-F8 version eh? Couldn't hurt, could it?
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

@fsafranek

Many thanks for replying! It seems as though they're focusing on the French version with some expansion then, as a general rule. I'm on the fence at the moment, but I'd like to have a crack at the Crusader so I think I'm going to go for it. I already have a basic mesh in place so it's something to look forward to. I got all inspired by the Sim Works Studios Midway battle group recently and as the old Alphasim Crusader was the only game in town ( so I thought ) I picked the type out as my next project. The last gunfighter deserves a proper bit of updated freeware, right?

An R-F8 version eh? Couldn't hurt, could it?
    Yes!

If you need any closeup pictures, let me know. I can go to the Naval Aviation Museum and take some. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Yes!

If you need any closeup pictures, let me know. I can go to the Naval Aviation Museum and take some. NC

Wow, cheers NC!! That would be awesome! Pam's already interested in doing the FDE. I'll finish the Reporter / P61C over the next month or so, and then start gathering material.

Count me in for an RF-8G, specifically, but any RF-8 would be fine. I've always thought it was the best looking Crusader and have wanted one for a long time.

Members who have read this thread: 1