Royale French Navy F-8 Crusader Project - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royale French Navy F-8 Crusader Project

The RF-8 variants have a very different forward fuselage shape, something no one has I think tried to tackle maybe since the Alphasim one before Carl Edwards' later FS9/FSX version. Agree it would be a great addition!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Blog Entries
    yeahh, i noticed that Expat. I'll have to try to get as exacting of a measurment on the intake as i can to adjust for intake volume if its needed. The smaller diameter cone with the camera in it shouldnt have too much of an effect on the flight characteristics, but there is weight there, wherein the standard nosecone theres only empty space with a massive radar behind it ( I think,, need to research it all ).. I've got a new printer coming to print out blueprintts so i'll be able to get correct measurements and finding out what cameras were on the plane and getting the data on them shouldnt be too hard.. Hopefully, we'll be able to make this an accurate and enjoyable aircraft to fly for everyone..

Early Model Crusader Would be Nice

There do not seem to be any early model F8U Crusaders (save for Alphasim's RF-8A). It would be nice to see an F-8A (318 built), an F-8B (130 built), an F-8C (187 built) or F-8D All weather version (152 built). Of the total 1219 Crusaders built, these early models were 65%, or 787 aircraft of the series.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-8A Willow Grove NAS c.70s.jpg  

On the RF-8G photo bird the only optical device in the nose is the pilot's viewfinder lens assembly. All four camera stations are in the fuselage. I did two tours in Light Photo Squadron 63 (VFP-63) and between us and our shipmates from VFP-62 there is a lot of tech support available for anybody who wants to make a photo bird. Both RF-8A and RF-8G versions in one package would be the way to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mpai_rf-8_traffic.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	59024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mpai_f8a_traffic.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	59025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mpai_f8b_traffic.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	59026

There's a lot of AI available, though. Michael Pearson's offerings.....

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Wow, cheers NC!! That would be awesome! Pam's already interested in doing the FDE. I'll finish the Reporter / P61C over the next month or so, and then start gathering material.

Headed to the museum today to take pictures of the Crusader; LOTS of them! I will check my email in a while . Let me know if there's a specific area you are wanting pictures of. Again, I won't be able to gain access to the cockpit. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Headed to the museum today to take pictures of the Crusader; LOTS of them! I will check my email in a while . Let me know if there's a specific area you are wanting pictures of. Again, I won't be able to gain access to the cockpit. NC
    Hi Pete,

The one F-8 in there from VF-24, I worked on 65/67 time frame as a BB-stacker. It was a F8-C - no hard points on the wings = no bombs to hang.
    The F-8 E did have wing hard points as our sister squadron (VF-211) did; We called them "Brand X"

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Sorry for not replying sooner NC, been hard at work and not visited the forums! Any images you can grab would be fantastic!
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    On the RF-8G photo bird the only optical device in the nose is the pilot's viewfinder lens assembly. All four camera stations are in the fuselage. I did two tours in Light Photo Squadron 63 (VFP-63) and between us and our shipmates from VFP-62 there is a lot of tech support available for anybody who wants to make a photo bird. Both RF-8A and RF-8G versions in one package would be the way to go.
    excellent information TarpsBird.. and very much appreciated..
    I cant help but wonder if theres a way Dean and I can make that viewfinder work in P3D??
    Pam

How about starting a new topic since this has nothing to do with the original post?
    That way if can be collected and more easily found down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    excellent information TarpsBird.. and very much appreciated..
    I cant help but wonder if theres a way Dean and I can make that viewfinder work in P3D??
    Pam
    I am not familiar with all the wizardry involved in animation, but it would be quite a challenge. For 1950's electro-optical technology the viewfinder was a pretty clever piece of gear. The moving lines of the "traveling grid" were adjusted so they were in sync with the ground movement under the aircraft. That set up your cameras to compensate for the motion of the aircraft when the pictures were snapped. I recall the lines got larger and moved faster as they moved down the viewfinder lens. Cycle rate of the camera was set depending on how much overlap of the images you wanted. Usually it was 60% overlap for good stereoscopic viewing. If it's possible to animate the viewfinder, I know guys who can help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    I am not familiar with all the wizardry involved in animation, but it would be quite a challenge. For 1950's electro-optical technology the viewfinder was a pretty clever piece of gear. The moving lines of the "traveling grid" were adjusted so they were in sync with the ground movement under the aircraft. That set up your cameras to compensate for the motion of the aircraft when the pictures were snapped. I recall the lines got larger and moved faster as they moved down the viewfinder lens. Cycle rate of the camera was set depending on how much overlap of the images you wanted. Usually it was 60% overlap for good stereoscopic viewing. If it's possible to animate the viewfinder, I know guys who can help.
    Could you plase cros post this over the the RF-8 thread that Dean just opened please?? I dont have the power to move it there..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Could you plase cros post this over the the RF-8 thread that Dean just opened please?? I dont have the power to move it there..
    Copy and Paste into a quote?

Hi guys,
    I'm aware that the RFN project didn't progress well these last months... real life took me away from the keyboard for too long...
    Since the begin of 2018, the lights went to green and I 'm finishing to install all my modeling and coding tools in a brand new computer!

I'm very confident in being able to work again on the Crusader project very soon!

At this point I have a F-8E(FN) with an exterior model finished at 98%, and a VC at 75% .
    The F-8E(FN) is the French version based on USN F-8E, enriched with enhancements that did the F-8J later.

I have also a USN F-8E exterior model done at 95% without any wing loads. I don't have enough material to build a VC different from the French one, but the project is still not yet finished...

Regards,
    Sylvain

Quote Originally Posted by sparouty View Post
    hi guys,
    i'm aware that the rfn project didn't progress well these last months... Real life took me away from the keyboard for too long...
    Since the begin of 2018, the lights went to green and i 'm finishing to install all my modeling and coding tools in a brand new computer!

I'm very confident in being able to work again on the crusader project very soon!

At this point i have a f-8e(fn) with an exterior model finished at 98%, and a vc at 75% .
    The f-8e(fn) is the french version based on usn f-8e, enriched with enhancements that did the f-8j later.

I have also a usn f-8e exterior model done at 95% without any wing loads. I don't have enough material to build a vc different from the french one, but the project is still not yet finished...

Regards,
    sylvain
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss

Blog Entries
    Hi guys,
    I'm aware that the RFN project didn't progress well these last months... real life took me away from the keyboard for too long...
    Since the begin of 2018, the lights went to green and I 'm finishing to install all my modeling and coding tools in a brand new computer!

I'm very confident in being able to work again on the Crusader project very soon!

At this point I have a F-8E(FN) with an exterior model finished at 98%, and a VC at 75% .
    The F-8E(FN) is the French version based on USN F-8E, enriched with enhancements that did the F-8J later.

I have also a USN F-8E exterior model done at 95% without any wing loads. I don't have enough material to build a VC different from the French one, but the project is still not yet finished...

Regards,
    Sylvain
    Well, I for one feel quite honored to be working on an F8 project at the same time as you are doing one. This is a perfect opportunity for us to give the community, something they so vary rarely get. life does from time to time, take us away from the things we love, but i know we'll all pull through on this and make our projects something very special for all..
    Pam

Hi guys,

Regards,
    Sylvain
    Hi Sylvain,
    What good news these are!!!
    Bon courage pour le reste du projet, je suis sûr qu'il va être au top!
    Cheers,

Stéph.

Awesome French F-8 demo video; although it will make you appreciate how much digital technology has improved amateur video making capability. The sounds are really great as well, especially during the high speed passes.

https://youtu.be/sZN-0Y3icAY

Stumbled accross a little gem on youtube and reminded me of this bird:

Thought it might be of interest to those keeping an eye on the Cruz.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Members who have read this thread: 1