Battle of Britain - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Britain

Just looked at some CFs2 missions. First Rami seems to use an installer which I assume means all is directly installed into CFS2. 2nd; looking at an individual mission, it seesm to be in a totally different format than CFS3, and I'm not sure how one would transpose them to CFS3.
    The missions have 2 files - *.dyn and *.mis. the only was I could see them was through Notepad++
    Interesting was the weather reference which seemed to imply more detail than CFS3??

visibility.0=20116.80,0.00,3048.00
    vis_layers_num=1
    cloud.0=9,1499.92,3352.80,99.97,4,0,0,0,0.00,0,0
    cloud_layers_num=1
    temperature.0=0.00,15.00,3.00,15.00
    temperature.1=2743.20,-17.78,0.00,-17.78
    temperature.2=5334.00,-17.78,0.00,-17.78
    temperature.3=7467.60,-20.56,13.33,-17.78
    temp_layers_num=4
    wind_layers_num=0
    wind_surface=609.60,0.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,0,0

So how to convert? To me CFs3 seems easier!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Icon22 Reply...

Mongoose,

Yes. You can set individual cloud decks (up to three) for missions, as well as hand-edit in wind for carrier takeoffs, along with create a pitching, rolling deck, and other things. When I hand-edit these missions for BoB, I will also edit the aggressiveness and skill of each plane within an aircraft flight, to simulate leaders, rookies, or a flight of experten, for example.

I used multiple cloud decks and wind to accurately portray the weather on specific missions in the 20th Fighter Group campaign, as an example.

Your other point is correct. I began using auto-installers to include about 98-99% of everything required to fly the campaign after running the installers, which point directly to where a stock CFS2 program would be located on a PC. You only have to make some minor adjustments, as well as install a few object or ship packages which I cannot include in the auto-installer for various reasons.

It's similar to a BoB or MAW addon for CFS3. The reason for doing this is the old method using hyperlinks took a long time to assemble, and I like including everything, from modified sounds for explosions to aircraft, historical skins, engine sounds, ships, and a lot of modifications I make for certain campaigns.

It's also a way to entice newer users to CFS2; it's a lot less intimidating to download two packages rather than about two hundred, when you count all the objects, ships, aircraft, and other mods required. It's not easy to get the base scenery installed for Europe and the Med, so it's a way of lessening the user load.

Just like CFS3, CFS2 is a language all its own. Having worked with it for more than a decade, I have grown extremely intimate in shaping it to my will.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

I wish CFS3 had real weather like CFS2.

So from what you are saying, it's not possible to translate from the *.mis file to any *.xml file. How do you see a CFS2 to CFS3 mission conversion, or is it a total re write based on mission notes/raw data?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Icon22 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    So from what you are saying, it's not possible to translate from the *.mis file to any *.xml file. How do you see a CFS2 to CFS3 mission conversion, or is it a total re write based on mission notes/raw data?
    Mongoose,

Basically, it was the latter. Owen would use my mission descriptions as the basis for his versions, and he relied on them, so I made them as detailed as possible. I would feed him completed mission descriptions as I completed the missions so that he could get a head start. Here are a few samples from another project I released in March of 2016...

"title_string"=Defense of Crete (FAA) - Patrolling over the Dodecanese
    "summary_string"=Attention, airmen! Our Swordfish pilots indicate a successful assault was laid on last night, so you'll fly an armed recce over Stampalia & Leros to look for Italian shipping, and then pass near Calato on the way back so that your observer can determine damage there. Once you're finished, head back to the Illustrious. Good luck!
    "objective_string"=After the night attack on September 3/4, Fulmars of 806 Squadron onboard Illustrious engaged six Italian torpedo bombers over the course of thirty minutes the following morning. Though the Fulmar pilots only brought down one Sparviero, (flown by Ten Nicola Dell'Olio) the other five were damaged and had to limp back to Calato with wounded crew aboard. The three British pilots that morning were Lt W L Barnes, Sub Lt A J Sewell, and Sub Lt I P Godfrey.
    "intelligence_string"=After getting airborne, the recce route that you'll follow will take you over the eastern tip of Crete, north to Stampalia, northeast to Leros, then you'll turn southeast for Rhodes. You will pass Calato to the west, but close enough to inspect the airfield before returning to Illustrious. If you encounter any Italian planes, you have permission to engage. However, if you take heavy damage, you may head to Heraklion instead of trying a dangerous landing onboard Illustrious.
    "player_aircraft_name_string"=Fairey Fulmar Mk. II
    "airfield_string"="HMS Illustrious"

"title_string"=Operation Marita - Sweeping over the shipping lanes
    "summary_string"=Achtung, meine Herren! With the British preparing to evacuate Crete, we must seek out & destroy any shipping heading to and from the island to prevent all resupply attempts. You will fly a sweep off the Libyan & Egyptian coastlines, looking for any sign of British convoys. If you do spot a convoy, attack at once, get hits, then return to Tmimi airfield.
    "objective_string"=During the early afternoon of 26 May 1941, Ju-87 Stukas of II/StG 2 were at the end of their range on a convoy sweep when Oblt. Bernhard Hamester spotted Force A racing for Alexandria with HMS Formidable. All four Stuka staffels swooped in to attack. At nearly the same time, eleven Ju-88s of LG 1 joined in, and this combined assault force of twenty-eight aircraft attacked the British vessels from several directions. In the mêlée, Formidable was struck twice, & while the damage was serious, her armoured hangars were not pierced. However, enough damage was inflicted to knock Formidable out of action for six months.
    "intelligence_string"=Once airborne, proceed east-northeast along the Libyan & Egyptian coastlines, looking for any sign of enemy convoys. We know the British are trying desperately to defend Crete, & might be gathering ships for an evacuation. If you do sight a convoy, you have permission to attack. There was a raid on Midi Bay at dawn by a carrier-based strike force, so a British carrier might be in the vicinity. If you do stumble onto her, this becomes your target over all else. Hals und Beinbruch!
    "player_aircraft_name_string"=Junkers Ju-87b 'Stuka'
    "airfield_string"=Libya - Tmimi

"title_string"=Royal Air Force Vs Luftwaffe - Roald Dahl's first encounter
    "summary_string"=To your fighters! Wehrmacht forces have begun to pressure the Olympus-Servia defensive line, and enemy bombers have been spotted over Athens! Get into your Hurricane fighter immediately and show the enemy that these skies do not belong to them!
    "objective_string"=Some two hours after the raids on Greek airfields by fighters of JG 27 and JG 77, some twenty-five Ju-88s from I/LG 1 & I/KG 51 were spotted over Athens. Six RAF 80 Squadron Hurricanes and four Blenheim Mk. IFs of RAF 30 Squadron immediately departed to intercept. Among the Hurricane pilots was Pilot Officer Roald Dahl, who was nearly lost to the ages on 15 April. He dove on a formation of six Ju-88s from above and behind, and wound up directly in their line of fire before these bombers went into a line astern formation moving through a narrow pass. Fortunately, his plane only suffered minor damage, & he was able to shoot down one of the Ju-88 bombers. Upon landing, he was severely lectured by his commanding officer.
    "intelligence_string"=Once airborne, climb at the maximum rate and look for German bombers coming in from the northeast. Their most likely target is the harbour at Piraeus, & possibly the nearby airfield. Attack the German bombers ferociously, but if at all possible, try to bring your Hurricane back intact. At this point, it is nearly impossible to get replacements!
    "player_aircraft_name_string"=Hawker Hurricane Mk. I
    "airfield_string"=Greece - Eleusis (C)
    "Rami"

Icon9 Reply...

Mongoose,

As far as a direct transfer, I can't say for sure, but I'm inclined to think no. One of the other things I can't be sure of is how the scenery would work/look. I created a boatload of permanent destroyable scenery for this upcoming release, including the London docks and most of the principal cities involved in the Battle of Britain and The Blitz. I know from talking to people about CFS3 that there is a method of doing such things in CFS3, but you guys would know more than me.

Plus, the locations and such are specific to CFS2 coastlines and landclass, so it would have to be an exact match for it to work.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...a-big-surprise

But to put the shoe on the other foot, it was CFS3's MAW addon that got me off my duff to work on the Med in CFS2, so all things are reciprocal.
    "Rami"

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Not to get too much off topic but can CFS2 be run in Win7 64bit ? Would be interested in your BoB for CFS2. Into that era of WWII . Dose your install make a new sim like MAW,ETO,PTO... or just a addon ?

Icon22 Reply...

Sixstrings,

For the record, both my laptop and PC are Windows 7 64-bit, and they run fine as long as you put your CFS2 installs into the x86 folder. I would be happy to send you a beta version when I finish up a couple of things. I'd say by the end of February, maybe a little sooner.

The only thing that will delay release at that point is that Baldy is working on a new freeware Fiat Br-20 Cicogna for the Italian campaign. I can't release the Italian campaign without it, the current freeware version is entirely unsuitable.
    "Rami"

Blog Entries
    As I have done in the past, you are welcome to use the descriptions and other materials for use in CFS3.
    Thanks Rami, I'll take a look once they're out. The CFS3 MB is a cut down version of the CFS2 one if memory serves me, so some information may be transferable.

I've not installed cfs2 on my new pc but with this on it's way I definitely shall be!

As for the Shockwave BoB2 - a brilliant sim with great ai and a truly brilliant campaign which can be played just as a strategy game without actually flying. However the latest few updates have caused problems for me, one of which is buildings popping in and out of view, a real show stopper when your coming into land and the airfield disappears! The most stable version seemed to be 2.05. Having said all of that it's well worth getting if you can.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Blog Entries
    Ordered BoB II WOV and shall have it soon. Already have the updates. Can't believe i just found out about it. Glad i'm not too late ! So much into CFS3 and Il-2 '46 never looked for anything else. Just recently started to get into other combat flight sims and am playing catch-up now. Thanks Pat for the CFS3 BoB install and hopefully we'll get some missions to boot in the future . Mostly play quick combat but missions would be nice to try out.

Blog Entries
    Mostly play quick combat but missions would be nice to try out.
    Hi Scott, you need to play more missions and campaigns! You will see CFS3 suddenly come to life in those modes! :0)

PAT . thanks ,,,bob/cfs3 addons and development , its my favorite era ,,, and many times when im in trouble from the wife for not putting the toilet seat down, i run to your missions ,,,,,thanks , joshua -canada

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Hobbit still alive, and setting up for more large formtion missions in the BOB for ETO 1.5..
    Awaiting a new set of CFS3 disks(ebay) then off I go. My old set seem to have quit working Bummer.

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear from you Hobbit ! Enjoyed your previous work on the BoB missions for Pat's BoB install. Can only wait for some new ones that take advantage of the new work being done updating it. On the Il-2 '46 front there is work on a new Channel Map and BoB missions to go with it. Some really good sims out there for BoB fans-(not to leave out CLoD and BoB II WOV).

Quote Originally Posted by HouseHobbit View Post
    Hobbit still alive, and setting up for more large formtion missions in the BOB for ETO 1.5..
    Awaiting a new set of CFS3 disks(ebay) then off I go. My old set seem to have quit working Bummer.

there..coming,3discs,,,,,,foradon,,,,issuewasme,an daddress.....please......send...yourcorrect...addd ress...to...kay....shewillre......send....weekend. ...

get...huarantee ,,,,within 7 days ...not 7 months

Blog Entries
    You are right Pat. Just started in the BoB campaign and am loving it. Haven't tried a campaign in years and don't know why. I do like single missions but the campaign mode is better to me and more immersive in CFS3. I like a dynamic sim and CFS3 is hard to beat in this regard.Looking forward to the updated CFS3-BoB install. Have several BoB sims and Pat's my favorite one. Ordered BoB II - WOV and will test it asap.
    Last edited by sixstrings5859; February 10th, 2017 at 14:47.

Blog Entries
    Maybe when Hobbit gets to doing better he could work on this era in either ETO or Pat's BoB installs.Let's hope for the best.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Maybe when Hobbit gets to doing better he could work on this era in either ETO or Pat's BoB installs.Let's hope for the best.
    I plan to do both BOB (Clive's set up) And ETO 1.50 missions for BOB era, I have many missions from the BOB timeline to release, once I get my desktop reloaded with CFS3 and they will be of the large formation format, to reflect the proper numbers faced during this epic air battle over Britain.

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to those Owen!

Blog Entries
    Great news Hobbit!! Pat's BoB is my single most favorite combat flight sim there is. Compact but complete in scope (playing the pre-release updated version). Just in need of some missions. Recently started a campaign for it and find it totally immersive . Play this sim more than any other. Thanks to all involved in the BoB project. Great job!! Best Regards,Scott p.s. Looking forward to the BoB addon for CFS2.Never too many for me !
    Last edited by sixstrings5859; February 16th, 2017 at 15:44.

Icon22 Reply...

Sixstrings,

Progress report...the custom Liverpool scenery is getting close to finished. This was thrown in as an under-the-wire addition. Once that is finished, I just have to make a couple of mission adjustments to adapt to the new scenery, and then I'll release it.
    "Rami"

Blog Entries
    Great news. Can't wait for this one !!

Icon22 Reply...

Sixstrings,

I've alluded to this a few times, but this is why I'm holding off on release of BoB. This is nearly finished, and what we're waiting for.
    "Rami"

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    Thanx for the screenies, Rami...

Your work is really amazing... makes me wanna give CFS2 a go.

Yeah, lad you're a machine!!

Icon22 Reply...

Popsaka,

Can't take sole credit on this one...this has been a collaborative effort; our gang of five has been working on this for some time!
    "Rami"

Members who have read this thread: 0