Strategic Air Command

Thread: Strategic Air Command

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs

Strategic Air Command

I thought I'd drop a note and some links to everyone. Jimmy Stewart's movie Strategic Air Command is out on Blu ray and DVD.

The release date was back on 10/18/2016. I last did a search for this about 2 years ago as it is one hell of a good movie.

I last watched it prolly about 7-8 years ago before finally putting the 'ol VHS player up in the attic.

I purchased off Amazon (our Prime Account) and got it in 2 days, watched it last night!

Here you go Fellas and Ladies :

TCM $16.65
    Strategic Air Command

I can't get the link to work for Turner Classic Movies ...... just paste into your browser search box ...... there is no "s" on the http: thingy; it worked over at A2A forum ??? Edit : it does not work in the Preview type box only, sorry

http://shop.tcm.com/strategic-air-command/887090128414

================================================== =================

Amazon $14.99
    Strategic Air Command

https://www.amazon.com/Strategic-Com...85694183&sr=1-

I've had the old DVD version for awhile now and love the movie . Some great aerial and taxi shots along with inside the cockpit and crawling through the very cramped spaces inside the bird ! Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson . How could you go wrong with this combination . I wish I would held out for the Blue Ray .

Rich

Icon22

"Wh-wh-why General...she's...she's beauuutiful...I'll like to get my hands on her..." (Stewart's reaction to seeing the B-47 in a hangar during a C-97 refueling stop).

The pseudo-LeMay stand-in's reply: "Maybe you will, Dutch, just maybe you will..."

I have haven't seen that movie a bunch of times....no siree...

Love it. Of course I was SAC-um-sized 1983-88 (ICBM crew).

Kent

P.S. "A Gathering of Eagles" is more like I remember my SAC days...another GREAT movie....and "Bombers B-52" as well!!!!

James Stewart, to me, is one of the finest actors in our lifetime; plus he was a true patriotic American!!! AND a WW2 hero! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    James Stewart, to me, is one of the finest actors in our lifetime; plus he was a true patriotic American!!! AND a WW2 hero! NC
    And he did actually get his hands on the B-47 in reality too (according to wiki page)

Stewart continued to play a role in the Army Air Forces Reserve following World War II and the new United States Air Force Reserve after the official establishment of the Air Force as an independent service in 1947.
    Stewart received permanent promotion to colonel in 1953 and served as Air Force Reserve commander of Dobbins Air Force Base, Georgia, the present day Dobbins Air Reserve Base.[42][54] He was also one of the 12 founders and a charter member of the Air Force Association in October 1945. Stewart rarely spoke about his wartime service, but did appear in January 1974 in an episode of the TV series The World At War, "Whirlwind: Bombing Germany (September 1939 – April 1944)", commenting on the disastrous mission of October 14, 1943, against Schweinfurt, Germany. At his request, he was identified only as "James Stewart, Squadron Commander" in the documentary.[55]
    On July 23, 1959, Stewart was promoted to brigadier general. During his active duty periods, he remained current as a pilot of Convair B-36 Peacemaker, Boeing B-47 Stratojet and Boeing B-52 Stratofortress intercontinental bombers of the Strategic Air Command.[56]
    On February 20, 1966, Brigadier General Stewart flew as a non-duty observer in a B-52 on an Arc Light bombing mission during the Vietnam War. He refused the release of any publicity regarding his participation, as he did not want it treated as a stunt, but as part of his job as an officer in the Air Force Reserve.
    After 27 years of service, Stewart retired from the Air Force on May 31, 1968.[57]
    Stewart received a number of awards during his military service and upon his retirement was awarded the United States Air Force Distinguished Flying Cross

ttfn

Pete

My DVD copy arrived yesterday from Amazon. Can't wait to watch it this weekend.

Members who have read this thread: 0