USS Essex CV-9 campaign released by Shadow Wolf 07!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: USS Essex CV-9 campaign released by Shadow Wolf 07!

Icon14 USS Essex CV-9 campaign released by Shadow Wolf 07!

This one is on a back burner until I publish the USS Saratoga CV-3 campaign and my testers for the Desperate Battles do their work. I have already started the revision/modernization with new readmes and downloads list. It will encompass the WW2 history of this ship from Marcus Island to Truk to the Philippines to the sinking of the Yamato and Okinawa - a total of 50 missions out of 168 possibilities.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    This one is on a back burner until I publish the USS Saratoga CV-3 campaign and my testers for the Desperate Battles do their work. I have already started the revision/modernization with new readmes and downloads list. It will encompass the WW2 history of this ship from Marcus Island to Truk to the Philippines to the sinking of the Yamato and Okinawa - a total of 50 missions out of 168 possibilities.
    This is One of the best Campaigns for CFS 2 ^^

Finally, with the others out of the way, I can get started on this one... I have finished the downloads and installation readmes and am starting on the missions themselves. I will keep you posted on progress.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Hot dang, a Helldiver! Will Buz Sawyer and Sweeney be crewing it?

Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    Hot dang, a Helldiver! Will Buz Sawyer and Sweeney be crewing it?
    The campaign starts off with the SBD but once the SB2C comes to the Fleet, the Essex will get them. I'm sure they will be aboard.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Progress report:

I've had a lot of distractions, but I've completed 13 out of 168 missions, almost finishing the Wake Island raids of OCT 43. I still have a way to go to the end of the war... I am updating and fixing the downloads and installation READMEs as I go. I've been replacing/substituting a lot of ships and planes with newer, better ones.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

168 missions

Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    168 missions
    168 mission variants. The player will fly 50, randomly chosen.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Whew! Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking more of the work on your part, not us users.

After a few days off, I'm back in action modernizing and redoing the missions. I just finished up the Tarawa set and am moving on to Kwajelein (November 43). It's a long war... I've completed 31 missions so far.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Thus far:

I have completed 55 missions. I have incorporated some of Stuart277's new transports and a lot of other newer ships and planes. I am sailing off the Marianas right now, bombarding Tinian and Guam...
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Weekly Update

So far, after a few days off, I've completed 98 out of the 168 missions to be revamped. At least 10 of them have to be totally rebuilt due to corruption errors. I will go back and do those after I finish the rest, then there will be flight testing. I am hand editing in the new planes and ships and mission briefings, then opening the missions in MB to adjust speeds, courses, targets etc. I am also adding wind to many of the missions rather than adjusting the .cfgs for the carriers to allow for a more aft takeoff position.

In the sequence, I am pounding bases in Okinawa and Formosa now before returning to the Philippines for the Leyte landing engagements, Ormoc Bay (thanks to Talon for his help with these originally) and Manila strikes. Then I'll be heading back to Formosa, Okinawa and countering "Operation Ten-Go" (the last sortie of the Yamato). I'm currently working on missions dated 12 OCT 1944.

It's tedious work, but I'm getting it done. I'm cranking them out at anywhere from 3-5 missions a day. I am using UncleTgt's airfield backdrops for the Maskrider Philippines, Micronesia and Formosa airfields to give them more distinct visibility - user optional downloads. Thank you UncleTgt, they are nice.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

A massive under taking But it will be well worth all of the effort.

Then I will offer you a bribe for only a few missions in the Vietnam project.

http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Weekly progress report:

Well, I'm back in the Philippines working on a convoy strike mission. I've finished all of the other Philippine missions and will move on to Formosa and Yokohama next. After finishing this series of 5 missions tonight, I will have done 150 missions with 18 more yet to be done. I'm beginning to "see the light at the end of the tunnel..."

The total now is to completely rebuild about 15 of them because of file problems I can't fix with hand editing. Then I'm going to randomly select about 80 for full flight testing and then do the campaign .cmg file and supporting readme documentation. Lastly, I'll ask for beta testers.

I may try to get Rami to do his auto-install thing for me as the downloads list is rather long, if he has the time and inclination. I'm not using different, assorted "skins" and am only using two US destroyer classes to try to keep the number of downloads as low as possible.

Moving on...
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; March 29th, 2017 at 13:41.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I have finished all the missions I could. I am going back to re-do the corrupted missions (about 25 of them) that I couldn't fix and save. I've already done 11 of those. Currently I'm working on the first Formosa missions, then back to Manila... Next, I'll review the readme files and ask for testers - probably in a week or so.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Im ready to be tester again for you. The Essex Campaign is a very Beauty, long Campaign on of the best i ever seen in CFS 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ElsnerMarkus View Post
    Im ready to be tester again for you. The Essex Campaign is a very Beauty, long Campaign on of the best i ever seen in CFS 2.
    Thank you for volunteering. I also have to do the campaign .cmg file. That should be less than a day's work. I will send it on to you by email when I finish.

Greg
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Almost done... Whew!

I finished the last of the missions this morning. I decided to go back in and substitute Allen’s “Frank” for the stock “Oscar” in some of the missions from 10-10-44 on, just to give Allen some play. It's a great plane and should give the player some trouble when encountered.

After that, I'll work on the .cmg for the 168 missions I have. You, the player, will fly a random choice of 50 for the campaign.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Done!

I finished the campaign at last and it loads okay. I only have a few minor adjustments to make to the .cmg file display the in-campaign videos.

I am putting out the call for volunteers to test it. It is 48mb in size, so I will be uploading it to a download site for testing purposes. I am leaving for a class soon, but I should have the final beta version uploaded later tonight. So send me a PM with your email address if you want to test and I will email or PM you the link.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Volunteers needed...

I've got one volunteer, but would like more. I just made a couple of changes to the readmes but the campaign itself is ready to go. I could test it myself.but would like for a better pilot than me to give it a try. Any takers?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Mission 1 works fine. I'll be flying an SBD for mission 2...

Note the gun flashes are behind the wings on Cpt Kurt's/Allen's F6F-3 VF-2 Hellcat. Anyone know a remedy?
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; April 17th, 2017 at 11:20.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 0