US Airbase DaNang during Vietnam War
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Airbase DaNang during Vietnam War

US Airbase DaNang during Vietnam War

Just a week ago i`ve started do model the next project. This will be US Airbase DaNang during Vietnam War.

There will be the US DaNang Airbase and the second Airbase near by ... Marble Mountain Airfield. Also there will be some firebases and an big AI -Traffic for the Vietnam War area. Just know there are nearly 300 planes in this AI traffic and it will grow on.

This time it will take some time for this project. It`s something different to built up such an area. The last projekts i`ve done all had been little airfields. This one will be a big one and i think that it will take a longer time to do this. But.... i will do it.

First shots to document the starting point off this one.

AFCAD is nearly ready and the first buildings are on the right place. Till now there are nearly no details in this one. But that will change day by day.

Hope you will like this one when it will be ready.

Greetings
    Klaus

Thank you Klaus, simply outstanding work

Great work Klaus. Man, you're on a roll!

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Spent six months in DaNang in 1967 with VMF-235 , an F-8 Crusader squadron . Looking forward to this one for sure . Thanks Klaus for taking on Vietnam . Really enjoy all of your scenery .

Rich

Klaus,

I sent you a PM.....

We share the same interest, although my project is in cfs2 format.

Please feel free to use any of our objects if you wish:
    http://thefreeflightsite.com/Vietnam_Projects_2.htm

Great job Sir,

Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Great to hear Klaus regarding Danang. Lately I've been doing a lot of flying in S.E. Asia, so Danag will be a welcome addition. I'm updating the FDE for Alpha's old B-57 so this will be a perfect place to fly from.

Thanks a lot for all your kind words. Will do my best to show up something at the and that will be usebal (hope so).

Yust started a new job at the beginning of the year and this month i have to move my home about 400 miles south. so time is a little limited. But this one will grow up in time .

Greetings
    Klaus

Very cool. Are you going to distribute your updated FDE?
    I have been working on a repaint (camouflage and updated panel lines) of one of the B-57B's my dad flew with the 13th TBS out of Da Nang in '66.....which I will upload here when i get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Great to hear Klaus regarding Danang. Lately I've been doing a lot of flying in S.E. Asia, so Danag will be a welcome addition. I'm updating the FDE for Alpha's old B-57 so this will be a perfect place to fly from.

Some new shot .... base is growing up.

Looking great Klaus. Are you using any add-on mesh for the area, i use a freeware SRTM3 set from Simvation by Raimond Taburet and J. De ferranti which works for me, just wondering what your using.

cheers ian

A Connie for the ramp?

You need to add this aircraft, parked in one of the revetments on the south side of the field. It is a Navy NC-121J of OASU in 1966/67,
    which became VX-8 then VXN-8 in the 1970 time frame.

I crewed on that aircraft, ,flying missions every evening in the summer of 1967. We went north and orbited over the
    South China Sea of Haiphong and as soon as the NVN radio station went off the air I 'brought us up' on the same frequency,
    broadcasting audio tape content that was delivered to us on the flight line every evening. We flew missions under the
    auspices of SOG.

From one of the web sites: "The objective of Project Jenny was to build a flying platform for TV and radio broadcast for troop entertainment and psychological warfare"

I think I have an FS2004 L1049 painted as 'Blue Eagle 1', '627' floating around on one of my hard drives. Could be converted to
    a static MDL of just a static AI.

A page on the VP Navy Site

A link to the Project JennY site

More Project Jenny info and aircraft descriptions

A link to the Blue Eagles of Vietnam site

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vx8ec121_01_23oct2001.jpg  

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    Very cool. Are you going to distribute your updated FDE?
    I have been working on a repaint (camouflage and updated panel lines) of one of the B-57B's my dad flew with the 13th TBS out of Da Nang in '66.....which I will upload here when i get it done.
    If I can improve on current flight profile I will indeed post it.

The Scenery is looking just superb, So much happening on these bases, the aircraft types this is just fantastic Klaus

Vietnam Era 2nd generation jets are my favourites to fly, but what FPS do you really expect over
    such a loaded scenery I wonder ?... My personal experience with the 2 previous Vietnam Base releases,
    is a 5 FPS, leading to impossible landings and killing all immersion. This scenery is even more loaded...

Except this scenery is for high end system users only, I would suggest two versions of Da Nang Base,
    including a "light" FPS friendly version. Just my 2 cents.
    My Military Flight Videos :

Quote Originally Posted by xpelekis View Post
    Vietnam Era 2nd generation jets are my favourites to fly, but what FPS do you really expect over
    such a loaded scenery I wonder ?... My personal experience with the 2 previous Vietnam Base releases,
    is a 5 FPS, leading to impossible landings and killing all immersion. This scenery is even more loaded...

Except this scenery is for high end system users only, I would suggest two versions of Da Nang Base,
    I think you must not be afraid of this. The scenery as it is now is running on my 5 years old laptop (I7, Quadcore, 2.4 Ghz with 2 GB Grafic Chip.... all my FSX is running on this laptop) around 50 FPS. Landing the Milviz Phantom. I think there will be no problem.

Greetings
    Klaus.

5 years old laptop (I7, Quadcore, 2.4 Ghz with 2 GB Grafic Chip.... all my FSX is running on this laptop) around 50 FPS. Landing the Milviz Phantom.
    What you say is hard for me to believe but if so, I must be doing something severely wrong and I
    really want to figure out what it might be...
    My Military Flight Videos :

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBaron View Post
    You need to add this aircraft, parked in one of the revetments on the south side of the field. It is a Navy NC-121J of OASU in 1966/67,
    which became VX-8 then VXN-8 in the 1970 time frame.

I crewed on that aircraft, ,flying missions every evening in the summer of 1967. We went north and orbited over the
    South China Sea of Haiphong and as soon as the NVN radio station went off the air I 'brought us up' on the same frequency,
    broadcasting audio tape content that was delivered to us on the flight line every evening. We flew missions under the
    auspices of SOG.

From one of the web sites: "The objective of Project Jenny was to build a flying platform for TV and radio broadcast for troop entertainment and psychological warfare"

I think I have an FS2004 L1049 painted as 'Blue Eagle 1', '627' floating around on one of my hard drives. Could be converted to
    a static MDL of just a static AI.
    Klaus,

I already have a static L1049 which I used in my Fantasy of Flight scenery. It was Manfred Jahn's model for FS9, converted to static with his kind permission. Combined with Paul's repaint it will do nicely. PM me if you want it.

I have to say that I also share xpelekis concern on FPS over complex scenery but if you say it's OK, you must be doing a good job in optimizing models and textures. Looking forward to the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by xpelekis View Post

Bag my pardon... just come home and could take a little flying around so that i can show the fps on this scenery as it is today. Got a little more detailed as you can see. Last picture is the milviz phantom after landing on DaNang (ok ... a little bit to fast... not a good landing...lol) You can see on this one it is at 36 FPS. The other pictures are higher FPS (50 and 48). AI traffic is moving.

Think it will be ok at the end. Will be flyable even on slower and older computer (as my laptop is)

For the Conny.... yes that will be nice to have in scenery.... will have a look to get the right one to show it up in AI-traffic too.

Greetings
    Klaus

Klaus,

Here is a link to the NC-121 repaints I did several years ago of the 4 OASU/VX-8 Connies that
    flew out of Tan Son Nhut and DaNang. They aren't the highest quality but hopefully '627' will
    work for the Danang scenery.

'627', Blue Eagle One' was the one based in DaNang. '444', '641' and '655' (Blue Eagles Two, Three and Six)
    were based in Saigon. There were always 2 of those three there.

The model is the'VQ-1' Connie.

The link (Case sensitive)

Paul

Thanks for all your help. Download the Connie and get it into the AI-traffic.

Connie AI on ground.

Greetings
    Klaus

Looking great! Your work is much appreciated!

Just one question/remark: Is it realistic with that much sand/gravel on the surface of the USAF Phantom revetment area? From my experience so is the fast jets users very anxious about FOD.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Looking great! Your work is much appreciated!

Just one question/remark: Is it realistic with that much sand/gravel on the surface of the USAF Phantom revetment area? From my experience so is the fast jets users very anxious about FOD.
    Your right. Will change this.

Klaus, the scenery is looking very good and I figured it could use some Da Nang specific AI.

So, I just uploaded two Da Nang related AI texture packs at AVSIM, under the Flight Simulator X - Aircraft Repaints, Textures and Modifications category.

One is for thirteen 366 TFW Da Nang based F-4C Phantoms ca. 1966-1967 ( nmai_f-4cv2_phantom_early_366_tfw_da_nang.zip ) and one for nine 366 TFW Da Nang based F-4D Phantoms ca. 1968-1969 ( nmai_f-4dv2_phantom_early_366_tfw_da_nang.zip )......although the F-4D's were uploaded this morning and haven't shown up for download yet.
    The textures work with the NMAI_V2_Phantom-F-4C_Traffic.zip and NMAI_V2_Phantom-F-4D_Traffic.zip AI packs available at MAIW and AVSIM.
    Even though the original AI was created for FS2004, they seem to work just fine in FSX. Also they each include a traffic file that has them flying touch and go around the base.

Screenshots below were taken with Vietnam War project version of Da Nang....

Klaus,
    Thanks for including the OASU/VX-8 Connies!

Of the Connies, only "627" was based at DaNang and flew evening missions up to the
    area off Hai Phong to do out broadcasting.

"444", "641" and "655" were based at Tan Son Nhut and normally only 2 of the 3.
    When one of the two there rotated back to Pax River, he odd man out replaced that
    aircraft at Tan Son Nhut.

Occasionally one of the Saigon aircraft flew up to DaNang to deliver parts or new air crew
    but never stayed long.

Paul

Members who have read this thread: 0