P-51D With Working .50cals

Thread: P-51D With Working .50cals

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Guess you can tell i like the P-51 series. This one is amazing . Thanks for sharing.

Must be interesting getting that thing through the FAA...
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

http://gac16.blogspot.com/

Check out my sceneries here on SOH

The only bad thing about this video circulating around as much as it has, is the fact that NO, it doesn't fly with active .50's, and it only had active .50's on this one occasion...something that every time this video is shared, is never clarified. (Also, I personally cannot stand the "War History" website - they steal all of their stories from other people/sites, and their own work makes them sound like a bunch of teenagers reporting this stuff).

This took place back in the summer of 2011, right after the restoration was completed and the aircraft was delivered to the Fagen Fighters WWII Museum. This was ahead of Oshkosh 2011 (where it won the Oshkosh WWII Grand Champion award), and working .50's were installed, having been produced with all of the permits required by the ATF in-place. Some members of the ATF were also present on the day the guns were installed, bore-sighted and fired. Before the aircraft flew again, the firing mechanisms within the guns had to be removed and the non-functioning guns reinstalled. One of the cool things about all of this, is that the owner, Ron Fagen, also owns a major construction/earth-moving business, so he was able to just bring in some of his guys and bulldoze out a firing pit for the Mustang for this one occasion (the firing pit has since been transformed into a WWII German bunker, as I recall from my last visit to the Museum).

There are quite a number of restored Mustangs and other fighters, like Twilight Tear, that everything is functional when in-flight/operation, but for the guns themselves. For instance, on many of these modern restorations, although the guns don't have the working mechanics inside them, the gun-firing solenoids, wired to the trigger, you can still hear clicking away when you pull the trigger in the cockpit. The only warbirds that I know of that have actually flown with working .50's in modern/recent years is a P-40 in New Zealand, which fires blank rounds, and the Collings Foundation B-24 and B-17, during their annual WWII Bombers Weekend event, will usually have at least one working .50 mounted in the waist, to fire blank rounds.

While in the US, one can go through all of the paperwork and potentially legally install working machine guns on a WWII aircraft and fly it, you would be bound to the restrictions of the State you are permitted in, and it wouldn't be legal to fly into or even over a neighboring State, without even more paperwork/permits, etc., let alone cross-country.

Thanks for the clarification JT...!

Icon2

Dang....
    I just noticed that JT is almost 30yrs old....What happened to that 16yr old kid that I met?

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Dang....
    I just noticed that JT is almost 30yrs old....What happened to that 16yr old kid that I met?
    HE JUST DONT FORGET LIKE SOME OLE MAN H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Dang....
    Its weird Ed, the kid has become 13 years older, but we only got 13 months older in the same period..............

Cheers,
    Huub

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Its weird Ed, the kid has become 13 years older, but we only got 13 months older in the same period..............

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0