A Baker's Dozen of Stearman Repaints - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Baker's Dozen of Stearman Repaints

That works, now do I need one of these cameras to add in order to revert to pilot (back seat)? or....?
    I found in the lights section of the aircraft cfg file a lights section and played around with one of the settings and managed to squelch the back seat red panel (red one in front still came on.

I think I might get the VS version tomorrow from PC Aviation - they sent me a coupon and there is a Tues 10% discount to boot; that way, I can add some of John's repaints (they look sharp)
    and try them out. I would have a duplicity of Stearmans but hey, I can try out both and go from there. Thanks for your help Dave....

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Butch..

I've just realised that the keystrokes you've been told to get into the front cockpit are default 'View Forward'. Not sure if this will help any but this is the camera view to do the same in the VS model..

[CameraDefinition.001]
    Title = "FRONT Seat"
    Guid = {195EAB58-9E4A-1E2A-A34C-A8D9D948F078}
    Origin = Virtual Cockpit
    MomentumEffect = Yes
    SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
    SnapPbhReturn = False
    PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
    PanPbhReturn = False
    Track = None
    ShowAxis = YES
    AllowZoom = TRUE
    InitialZoom = 0.75
    SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
    ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
    ShowWeather = Yes
    XyzAdjust = TRUE
    ShowLensFlare=FALSE
    Category = Cockpit
    PitchPanRate=20
    HeadingPanRate=60
    InitialXyz=0.0, 0.00, 1.0
    InitialPbh=8, 0, 0

You might be able to work it into the GAS camera defs to give you something a little more useable
    ATB
    DaveB

I like the views you posted here. I may add the VS version tomorrow - BTW, that would be a bummer if you had a bird strike on the fuel tube hanging down from the upper wing there, and avgas would not
    taste too good.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Whoops. My bad. I wasn't looking at the front cockpit.

If it's of any interest, the VS Stearman has more animations than the GAS Stearman such as the trainee in the front cockpit, etc. Again, both are great to have.

With regard to the Vertigo Studios Stearman cockpits/instruments, it is accurate to the preserved/unrestored N2S-5 at the Smithsonian. There doesn't seem to have been a very standard setup when it comes to Stearman instrument panels and instruments themselves, which could have been determined by which individual role they were used in (solo, dual, instrument, night, etc.). Probably in a setup like this, it teaches and can test the trainee in the backseat to fly and coordinate the aircraft simply by feel, and the instructor in the front has what he needs to confirm if the pilot is flying properly coordinated or not.

(On a somewhat related note, I've read some stories about some of the first P-51B's to arrive in England, that when they were picked-up by their pilots from the depots, they only had mostly bare open holes in the panels with only a basic few instruments actually installed).

By comparison, here is a photo I took of the restored cockpit of the George Bush N2S-1 Stearman (a much earlier variant, and restored to exact original specifications). Other than the presence of the turn/slip indicator in the back panel, the rest of the instrumentation is the same. This particular Stearman, we know thanks to Bush's logbook entries, was used for solo flying during its original training days (it couldn't be used for night training, as being as early as it was, it doesn't have any lights).

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    BTW, that would be a bummer if you had a bird strike on the fuel tube hanging down from the upper wing there, and avgas would not taste too good.
    That tends to be quoted as being the biggest fear of all Stearman pilots.

Love 'em.

This is my current desktop image. Taken at the Palm Springs Air Museum in 2015 during one of our vacations down south.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

I too would like to see a Nav Light Fix.

Lovely effort hats off.
    Now I want to start building my 1/72 Revell kit.

it (lack of instruments) teaches and can test the trainee in the backseat to fly and coordinate the aircraft simply by feel
    Possibly, but I rather doubt it. After all, relying on seat of the pants feel rather than instruments is very much discouraged, and use of a turn and slip indicator is pretty important for judging the accuracy or otherwise of turns. Maybe a pupil could learn to judge the accuracy by the feel of the wind on his cheek, but the instrument would still be necessary while learning how it ought to feel in a good turn.

On another matter, would you IM me please, John, as I have some info I think you'd like.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Possibly, but I rather doubt it. After all, relying on seat of the pants feel rather than instruments is very much discouraged, and use of a turn and slip indicator is pretty important for judging the accuracy or otherwise of turns. Maybe a pupil could learn to judge the accuracy by the feel of the wind on his cheek, but the instrument would still be necessary while learning how it ought to feel in a good turn.

On another matter, would you IM me please, John, as I have some info I think you'd like.
    I'm guessing a yaw vane or similar would most likely be present if no actual turn/slip gauge.

John, how about turning your paintbrushes this way --> http://www.birdinabiplane.com/galleries/
    (I've met the lady in person )

ttfn

Pete

With regard to the Vertigo Studios Stearman cockpits/instruments, it is accurate to the preserved/unrestored N2S-5 at the Smithsonian. There doesn't seem to have been a very standard setup when it comes to Stearman instrument panels
    When I posted that the shots I'd seen online all seemed to have a full set of instruments in the back.. I was fully aware that someone would post a shot to the contrary!! In the words of Bruce Hornsby.. that's just the way it is

I think I'd tend to agree with DaveH that teaching a new pilot to fly by feel wouldn't be considered good practice (at best) but back in the day.. who the hell knows. Likewise.. I think it's more likely (at least more desirable) to have a full set in the back which is where the pilot would be for solo flight IF that's all the aircraft is to be used for. The front could be stripped thereby saving a few dollars.

I do agree though that buyers could specify what instrument fit they required.

One thing I'm always cautious of though is not only restored museum pieces but museum pieces in general. Having been involved with Brooklands museum for years and have seen what is 'on view' at others.. I know not to trust what I see with my own eyes as being accurate.

@Butch.. no, you don't need another camera view to get back to the rear seat. I don't know where you fitted the new one in but it should be a matter of cycling through the views to get back
    ATB
    DaveB

2048 or 4096

Just got the VS Stearman and had choice of two files to install 2048 or 4096. I went with the 4096 and it seems to work okay but what are the differences between the two files?

How did you get a pilot in the front seat?

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Whoops. My bad. I wasn't looking at the front cockpit.

If it's of any interest, the VS Stearman has more animations than the GAS Stearman such as the trainee in the front cockpit, etc. Again, both are great to have.

Butch..

In the VS Stearman.. you use Shift+E+3. Unfortunately.. these combinations never work for me

The 2048 files are now considered standard.. the 4096 are 'HD'. File sizes are double so if you notice a drop in FR's.. drop the smaller ones back.

The manual will give you all details of what can and cannot be done and includes checklists and perf charts.

ATB
    DaveB

Thank you very much John for these amazing paints.
    Mike

The VS Stearman panels/instruments situation can be argued all day and night - it doesn't do me any good or bad. I have no ties to the company or product, I just made some repaints for it, in-case anybody who already has the model and enjoys it would wish to add a few extra flavors, not yet covered by the default paint schemes or other repainters. I have about a dozen more Stearman repaints to upload when the time is right (which includes the "Spirit of Artemis" Tracy Curtis-Taylor Stearman (which, unfortunately however crashed/was severely damaged last year) and a post-WWII USAF Stearman (which the restoration is not yet complete, but I have all that I need for reference to the paint scheme), as well as mostly a bunch of civilian schemes). With regard to texture resolution, with the original VS product, you are given the choice of either (compressed) 2048x2048 resolution textures or (original) 4096x4096 resolution textures. With my repaints, you only get 4096x4096.

With regard to aircraft on display at the Smithsonian, you will not find another museum in the world which strives as hard as they do for absolute accuracy/originality. Knowing the Stearman they have, like most of their exhibits, it remains as a time-capsule, untouched (but cleaned/conserved) since original military use. By posting the image that I did of the Smithsonian Stearman cockpit, it simply clarifies that there is a precedent for why the VS Stearman panels/instruments are the way they are (just one of any number of layouts they could have gone for, either historically correct or modern - with the VS Stearman, you also only get one engine type modeled, when there have been several different types fitted during WWII and the present).

This photo of the rear cockpit, from an original N2S-5 manual, matches the exact same configuration of the rear cockpit of the Smithsonian N2S-5 (and the VS Stearman). I have yet to try, but I would assume, if you're flying solo, if you really needed to look at a bank/slip indicator, you'd be able to lean forward enough to see the one in the front cockpit.

Thanks for the cockpit phot John. So.. no clangers from VS and the Smithsonians reputation remains intact.

ATB
    DaveB

Trainee in front cockpit

When I first installed the VS stearman in 4096 mode, I only had one dude (in back seat), Then I reverted to the 2048 version and saw two dudes (one student & one pilot).
    I was using John's Bush Livery... Now I was in the back seat and could see the back of the students head - animated and in the backseat view I could see feet/legs detail
    and what was wierd, the backseat pilots microphone bobbing around from left to right.

Now, I took out the 2048 version and put the 4096 mode back in and all I see is a back seat pilot (In all liveries I might add) Yet I see in a post above a student driver in the front seat. Is that
    specially selects from some menu?

Is there some sort of keys/buttons that make two animated people show up in their seats cause now all I am seeing is a pilot in the back seat.

BTW those special keys only work the GPS and that's about it.....I've looked at the PDF instruction manual (there are two identical PDF's) in both the N2S and 300 folder......

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I have about a dozen more Stearman repaints to upload when the time is right (which includes the "Spirit of Artemis" Tracy Curtis-Taylor Stearman (which, unfortunately however crashed/was severely damaged last year)

As was reported here in May 2016.. http://www.flyingmag.com/transcontin...short-by-crash
    but it was back together again by the time of Farnborough Airshow last July http://www.birdinabiplane.com/galleries/goodwood16/

Looking forward to your rendition John.

ttfn

Pete

Shift+E+3 works for me to get a pilot in the fwd cockpit.

Shift+E+3 works for me to get a pilot in the fwd cockpit.
    And Shift+E+2 and Shift+E+4 make the pilots raise and lower their goggles.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

I really had to have the persistence to work the SHIFT +E+3 key to get that student pilot to load, and when it did then a little more details shows i.e. see picture attached.
    The microphone goes in the direction of where the student is looking (left right) and I guess that is kosher. Funny thing though, Before I loaded the student pilot ala SHIFT + E + 3
    key there were no legs to look at. I'll try those other key combos to see if I can make the goggle action happen. Notice the two brown things between the pilots feet? What is that?
    BTW, when I first tried the SHIFT + E + 3 key I could see a main exit open/close dialog in the upper left screen.

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    And Shift+E+2 and Shift+E+4 make the pilots raise and lower their goggles.
    Last edited by gray eagle; January 24th, 2017 at 11:30.

Yup.. this is the thing about combination keystrokes. If you don't get it right.. you don't get what you expect to see!! A lot of the time, it doesn't work for me so I put a door gauge into such panels to do the work for me Press the shift key and hold.. then the E key and hold then quickly release the shift and hit the 3. Shift+E+3 doesn't mean all 3 keys at the same time

ATB
    DaveB

N38940, but a UK Flyer

For those that don't read my descriptions, you might be surprised to find that this aircraft, despite the N-registration, is based in the UK, and has been since the early-mid 90's. Paul Bennett, the owner, also restored the aircraft as it appears today (his first of several that he has restored). He is the subject of one of the episodes of "Plane Resurrection", which can currently be watched on Netflix, and this particular Stearman is shown and talked about a bit (including how Mr. Bennett won first place in the very first judging contest he entered this aircraft in).

The reason the aircraft has the specific finish it does, is due fully to historically-authentic accuracy. During original factory production, all of the aluminum panels were anodized for protection from corrosion. When the switch was made to standardizing the finish on Stearmans (and other trainers) to just silver, the anodized aluminum panels weren't painted and were just left as-is. Thus, although all of the fabric surfaces are finished in silver dope, most of all of the aluminum panels have the darker (and somewhat yellow/red/purplish in hue, under different lighting conditions) finish from the anodizing process.

John,
    I have always had a thing for the Silver USAAF PT-13D/PT-17's, and you really made your versions of them look AMAZING!!! I don't know if you have seen the PT-13D on display at the National Museum of the Air Force. They did a great job on restoring theirs....but those metal surfaces were all painted a light Gray instead of left bare like yours. I prefer the correctness of your versions....although I think that they did start painting to prevent corrosion later?? The contrast of the two (Metal over the Fabric surfaces)on the Vertigo model looks fantastic that way!! Also on both were the Navy and Air Corps markings so they could be delivered right from the factory to either branch and pressed into service. N53549 the Jago Stearman is the perfect example of that. I am just enamored by your repaints and Love the History that you teach with each and every one of them! Have you given any thought of doing any T-50's??

Thank you for the kind words, as always, Jim! Regarding the Milviz Bobcat, I would love to make some repaints for it, but I'm still waiting/hoping for a paintkit to be released for it first. "Spirit of '43" is based quite near to me, and is the only flying example I've seen in person (though I've seen a few different project examples first-hand in recent years), so it will be one of the must-haves. Really my favorite paint schemes for the Bobcat are the plethora of artsy/stylish two-tone 50's/60's civilian schemes.

Pete, thank you for the update on the "Spirit of Artemis" Stearman! The last bit of news I had seen/read about the aircraft was of that crash last spring (and I was surprised to find so much time has passed since then, as I had seemed to recall it happening not that long ago), and I figured it was still being repaired (as would be quite typical, considering the amount of damage). I have read further to find out that they were able to get the wrecked aircraft back to the company that built/restored it originally, quite soon after the incident, and that particular company, which specializes in Stearman restorations, had enough already pre-existing (new set of wings, landing gear, etc.) to get the aircraft quickly rebuilt within several weeks time.

Members who have read this thread: 0