Snow on Donner

Thread: Snow on Donner

Snow on Donner

The snow has gotten pretty deep on Donner summit,this view seems to be on the Norden grade,Soda Springs rd to some,it leaves I80 at soda springs and crosses the summit where the old track one of SPRR started into the first sheds.ends done at Donner Lake.pretty deep,but not as deep as it can get.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0345.JPG  

BTW with I80 being mostly shut down since yesterday afternoon,my new computer was in Sparks NV ,at 9am ,and I looked just a minute ago and as of 8pm it's in Carson City on a dock or something.they must have thought they could use Highway 50.

Stupid stupid stupid

That pic was from 1982,but the snow pack up there is about that deep or deeper,last I heard it was 21 ft at boreal ski resort.

My folks had a pair of cabins we'd go to in the winter, up on Donner Summit, I think on I80. Back then, they on would plow up as far as the cabin, so there was a wall of snow however deep, there. We would take the Skidoo's up onto the freeway from the side, and we'd have this great multilane freeway stretching for miles. We'd toboggan behind the Skidoo down it. It was a blast!
    That picture brought back some great, if cold, memories! But oh, going to the cabin in the evening, after playing in the deep snow all day, and sitting in front of the fireplace, drinking hot coca....AHHHHH!!!
    Pat☺

Dave , was just curious what happened after the melt down . A lot of slides and debri on the roadway ? That is some serious depth !

Rich

Just heard on KCRA3 that the snow pack on Donner is at 18 ft,with 3-4 feet more expected though tonight.and crusader,every time it's this deep,the rivers and lakes pretty much flood.the year the VW was floating,there were wide spread flooding in the Sacramento valley with levees breaking all over the place on both the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers.

80's picture or no it gets the point across. Pretty cool to see it. I doubt I ever will though.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Something we never have a problem with.
    A glimpse of 'Summer Down Under'.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zCquN7.jpg  
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

What a view !

Members who have read this thread: 0