Preferred Resolution?

Thread: Preferred Resolution?

Preferred Resolution?

I was playing around last night with the screen resolution in CFS Display Options menu and of course saw dramatic increases in FPS while trading sharpness etc in some settings and wondered what most of you are using and what is the criteria for optimum results?

Whatever my monitor can display. Maximum on mine is 1680x1050 and it's an lcd screen so lower resolutions don't look too good.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I'm running a 19 1/2" LCD myself, but it seems like it's a series of trade offs between sharpness and FPS. I was getting 74FPS in a lesser resolution that was impressive performance wise, but of course gauges etc look a bit larger, fuzzier and somewhat elongated. At my usual settings I get about 59 Fps and everything looks smooth. Just wondering what the majority was using setting wise!

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    I run 1600-900 game resolution in CFS3 installs. Have around 72 to 75 FPS with settings set on max.

ASUS ROG PG348Q 34" GSync at 3440 x 1440 and I'm generally getting 100 FPS at high altitude and 65-75 FPS down low over a large city.

Game Detail Settings On All 5s. Max FPS limited to 96 in cfs3.xml.
    I've modified my composite scenery and texture budget files and landclass sizes to minimize stuttering, and to prevent trees and buildings from popping into existence as you draw near enough to view them. (I wish there was a way to do that for clouds as well but their draw distance is hard coded)
    AnKor's Shaders and SweetFX (needed for GSync to work)

GTX 980 with 16x Anisotropic Filtering, 4x Multisampling and 4x Sparse Grid Transparency Supersampling (reduces shimmering), LOD Bias -1 (restores sharpness lost by MSAA). Max Pre-Rendered Frames are Application Controlled. Vsync On. High Quality Texture Filtering. Max Performance Power Management. (I've tried 8x and 8x, but it doesn't improve the image all that much, and drags the FPS down about 20 points from 4x and 4x)

AMD X4 955 overclocked to 3.8 GHz with three cores allocated to CFS3 and the forth for TrackIR using Process Lasso.
    8 Gb of 800 Mhz DDR3 Memory
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingskull5000 View Post
    I was playing around last night with the screen resolution in CFS Display Options menu and of course saw dramatic increases in FPS while trading sharpness etc in some settings and wondered what most of you are using and what is the criteria for optimum results?
    surprised about the dramatic increase in FPS. All things being equal, for some reason CFS3 likes the native resolution of the monitor best. IMHO you should hunt through your config settings (or try some of the recent ones posted here) and find extra FPS there - eg by setting max texture resolutions to 2048 and checking you have optimum settings for D3D Pool etc. some settings stress CPU over GPU so some balancing can be achieved.

I posted last week about CFS Config Utility and was advised to cut and paste Major Magee's settings into the config file in App Data Folder which I did. I assumed that was all I need do but it appears I should be making changes in the config manually also?

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingskull5000 View Post
    I posted last week about CFS Config Utility and was advised to cut and paste Major Magee's settings into the config file in App Data Folder which I did. I assumed that was all I need do but it appears I should be making changes in the config manually also?
    Well Major's settings are maxed out I find them great but if you are struggling for FPS then back off some of the texture settings. You con go striaght to the configoverrides file and back off things like terraintextures if they are 4096 try halving them to 2048. Try a few texture sets at a time until the FPS comes up more to where you want it.

Well I've never had 60FPS untill I revamped this rig and I'm pretty happy with it overall but there is the occasional stutter. Had I not gotten 74 FPS the other night fooling around with resolution settings, I would have been content.......ignorance is bliss as they say. Time to start tweaking!

Members who have read this thread: 1