Weird problem: Aircraft appears without configuration file!

Thread: Weird problem: Aircraft appears without configuration file!

Weird problem: Aircraft appears without configuration file!

After all these years FS2004/Golden Wings still has surprises for me! When I started to do a repaint I wanted to add a texture folder to my Messerschmitt Bf-109 G-10 and change the aircraft accordingly. Although the extra entry was made the alternative livery didn't appear. As I was not in the mood to sort things out I just swapped the textures and continued with my repaint.

When I started another repaint, I though I should figger out why the second Bf109 G-10 doesn't show up. But Whatever I did and changed only the livery which was in the default folder was shown.

And it becomes even more weird. To edit the aircraft configuration file I removed it from the Messerschmitt Bf-109 G-10 and placed it on my desktop. When I strted up my Golden Wings, I realised the aircraft configuration file was not in place yet. As the flight with the Bf109 G-10 was set as default I expected an error message. But no without any problem the G-10 appeared.

At that moment I thought I knew what caused the problem. I though i had put a second aircraft configuration for the G-10 in an other aircraft subfolder. But when I removed al other aircraft. The G-10 kept appearing as nothing was changed. I did a search but at that moment there wasn't a single aircraft configuration file in my entire Golden Wings install. Only after I has also remove the G-10.air file I received expected error message.

It seems it loads a aircraft configuration file somewhere, there isn't one in my Goden Wings install and I don't have the Bf109 G-10 installed anywhere else.....

A absolute mystery for me, but do you have any ideas?

Cheers,
    a puzzled Huub........

Edit: I have by-passed the system by renaming the model file and chnage all references to the model name, but nevertheless it remains a complete mystery for me!

Hi Huub, in win7 and on a shadow cfg is stashed in your
    User profile location, something like user/your name/app data/roaming/microsoft/fs9
    Its not a normal aircraft.cfg file so you can't edit that one!

However, reading your post again, when a flight is saved all the details are stashed both in the flights folder and the backup flights folder
    listed in same location as backup aircraft folders above, something to do with the .flt file

Edit: Corrected the path now to how it shows on my win10 rig.

Ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; January 19th, 2017 at 03:31.

Thanks Pete, I will have a look. However normally when I made changes to the aircraft.cfg file of my default flight, I used to receive an error message that the flight could not be initiated.
    But I can't recall whether I have made this error since I have installed windows 10. So it was most probably not FS2004 which surprised me but Windows 10.....

I will report back as it might become applicable for more simmers once we all have moved to Windows10.

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi Huub,

Yes, windows 10 stashes some things in odd places, for example the scenery.cfg that is used by fs9 is NOT the one in main fs9 folder, aka FSX style
    Overall once settled with the unable to use fs9 disc issues, fs9 runs better I think.

ttfn

Pete

how to migrate FS9 to windows 10, without installation discs

Interresting discussion.
    An important reason for me NOT to buy a new computer, or not to upgrade to Windows 10, is the fear I cannot get my FS9 to work, because I lost the installation disc's. (and I am running on the file which shall not be named)
    I know that FS9 hides some files, but I do not know where to find them in Windows 7 nor where to put them in Windows 10.
    But I understand that sort of knowledge is present at the SOH forum .

I checked if I could repeat Huub's phenomenon, but I have no idea what happened there. In the FLT files I see no reference to the texture file, but I do know there is a cache somewhere. I replaced some AI by better aircraft, but FS9 still shows the old ones.
    Flip
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; January 19th, 2017 at 13:37. Reason: (wink)

It remains a weird problem. Checked the FS9 folder inside the apps folder. Inside the FS9 folder there is the FSGW.cfg folder, which is the configuration folder for my Golden Wings install. I had changed the default flight already and this was perfectly displayed in the file.

There is an Aircraft folder inside the FS9 folder, but this only contains stats configeuration files which contain data about the duration you flew this particular aircraft.

As I didn't find anything out of the ordinary, I decided to delete the aircraft.cfg file form my Messerschmitt Bf109 G-10 again. And again I was able to select the aircraft without any problem.

So I'm still convinced that Golden Wings loads an aircraft configuration file for the Bf109 G10 somewhere else. However it is not located anywhere in my Golden Wings install.........

Getting more puzzled every day!

Huub

@ Flip,

I haven't installed FS9 after I had installed Windows10. It just kept working. But I understand there isn't a problem to re-install FS9 under Windows10 as long as you use the file you already use...........

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post

@ Flip,

I haven't installed FS9 after I had installed Windows10. It just kept working. But I understand there isn't a problem to re-install FS9 under Windows10 as long as you use the file you already use...........

Indeed. That is correct. I have my fs9 on an external hdd, so I plugged it into my laptop ( win vista powered) for the install, once I plugged it back into win10 machine used the fs9 registry fixer utility to point win 10 to the fs9.exe, and the file you have to enable fs9 to run without needing to check the cd.

Ttfn

Pete

thanks for the tip!

Wow, that is a relief.
    I was always scared to upgrade.
    Although Windows 10 guarantees that your files are still in the same place, they did not guarentee that your programs still work. So I was sceptic. Somehow I do not trust Bill Gates.
    But a big thank you.
    Flip
    (I would not like to lose my Golden Wings with the SOH Corsairs ! )

it worked!

Thanks to your encouragement I made the step to a new computer with Windows 10, and I had a succesfull portover of an allmost standard FS9 that I kept as backup.
    But if that works, I believe I can also port over mij GW and Silver Wings.
    Hurray for FS9
    Flip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intruder_Patuxent.jpg  

I'm glad you didn't encounter any problems! On my computer Silver Wings and Golden Wings are working without any problems as well.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0