What am I doing wrong?

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

Although I stopped flying for about 2 years, I thought I had a handle on installing new missions/AC. Sadly this is not the case evidently. For example, I downloaded the Salerno Coastal Defense mission from the library, unzip etc and drop it into, lets say ETO 1943 Missions either Historical or What if. Fire up the game and the mission doesn't show up in either. It is in the file folder and don't get any error msg's. Used to work for me, now not so much

Switched the game to the corresponding era?

Tried all era's and the mission doesn't appear in the menu...........

Open the mission in text-editor, search for the entry <title> (shold be about the 6th line).

The mission will show up under the title specified there, not under the .xml filename.

I'll try that when I get home but as I said, I went through the missions in each era and I saw nothing different. I think I would have picked up on an odd named mission...........

Oh, and Salerno is quiet in the south (bit more than Napoli). I'm not sure if this is covered in ETO. Are you sure the mission isn't meant for MAW?

That could be, but wouldn't I get an error msg or have the sim crash if I imported a bad file into it?

comparing CFS3 map and Google maps I'm pretty sure Salerno isn't in CFS3 Europe but must be in MAW

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Valid point Mongoose, but I've tried loading up other missions and had the same results. Besides dropping the mission file into a mission folder in ETO, does it require other files in general? I realize on a case by case basis some missions require specific aircraft, ships etc......

Normally a mission will require special files, including spawns, so It wouldn't be surprising if it didn't work. If you have "mb" loaded on your install, try opening that mission.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the missions should show up in the list. If there are missing files etc, it would crah or show an error when loading.

Silly question #1: did you check if the files were really coppied over or blocked or something? (specially if CFS3 is installed to the program-folder on drice C)

Silly question #2: If you've installed multiple copies of CFS3, you're shure you start the right one? Like: copying the files to the install on drice D, starting the install on drive C.

Just a few thoughts what might cause it, cause I never heard of this.

Well this is interesting, my computer whiz son helped me get everything installed and up and running and it appears I have a patched CFS install/PTO/
    eto and Rising Sun installed on my HD C and also on my SSD drive E. That could be a problem no?

Not clear what you mean here. I hope PTO, ETO, etc.c are all separate installs? I have installs on C SSD and D HD drives so that isn't the issue. Have you checked this missions by opening it on the mb program?

Well I don't know what he did, but now the Salerno Mission show up in ETO. It requires Spit's flown off a carrier and of course there are none in ETO so it crashes, but that's a good thing. Should have it all figured by the weekend

Well all the different versions should be different installs and use the MultiCFS3 ap to name them for the users file. If you mix them together you will have issues. Most of them install off the CFS3 vanilla + the 2 updates without actually effect the vanilla install. The readme's should make it clear. get your son to check them.

Well the missions go into the individual installs they were intended for, not the vanilla install. That much I know, and I was successful in loading a AV History P-51 into ETO, so I'm on the right track I believe and I appreciate all help you gents offer!

Members who have read this thread: 0