FSX-SE problem that I am at a loss to solve....

Thread: FSX-SE problem that I am at a loss to solve....

FSX-SE problem that I am at a loss to solve....

A few weeks ago, I purchased a addon for FSX-SE from the Steam website. When I went to install it, the option on the screen asked if I wanted to install. Well I THOUGHT that meant the addon. Nope. It meant FSX, period.

Well, since I already HAD FSX-SE installed, it installed in the Program Files (X86) directory, and created a Steam directory. Now then, I already had Steam installed under Steam Library.

I had not tried adding any aircraft since all this happened until today. I tried adding several payware helos, but none of them were showing up when I went to select one. Then I discovered that, although I had added the helos to the ORIGINAL FSX Steam directory, apparently when I start up FSX, Steam is NOT reading from the original library.

Am not sure how to fix all this, without screwing things up. NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Original FSX-SE.jpg   Second FSX-SE.jpg  

First and foremost, if it were ME, which you aren't, but if it were, I would get rid of the new version of FSX:SE. Who knows just what got installed?
    If you want to keep it, I would ask this: Do you start your normal use FSX:SE from the Steam screen, Library>Games>FSX option? If so, just which version (install) is it running? Is it running the new one, or your original one? And thus, where are your payware aircraft installing to? The new install, or your original one? Do you see where I'm going here? Maybe you aren't seeing your new payware aircraft because they are installing to the install your aren't running when you fire up FSX.
    Personally, I went and made a shortcut to my FSX.exe, put it in a folder on my desktop, and, naturally, set it to Run As Admin. I suggest you do this, one for each install you have, if you choose to keep the new install. Then, start one with the appropriate shortcut, and look for your payware aircraft. Obviously, you will have to give each shortcut a unique name, so you can get the correct FSX you want.
    Additionally, Windows has problems letting people change programs installed in a \Program Files or \Program Files(X86) folder. It's possible it's preventing your payware from installing properly? Or modifying the Aircraft.cfg files. Just a thought.
    And last, check your FSX.cfg file(s). You may well have more than one, one for each install you have. You original install should be located C:\Users\<your user name here>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX . Each install should have it's own folder and .cfg file within said folder. Like \Microsoft\FSX and \Microsoft\FSX (2) or something. Check your "normal use" FSX.cfg file. You should see a [main] section with the following lines in it:
    SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\AirplanesSimObjectPath s.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
    SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
    SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
    SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
    SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
    SimObjectPaths.6=AI Aircraft

Make sure they actually point to your "normal use" FSX folder, not the new install's folder. You may need to give a full path to the original install's folder, so that FSX reads the correct folders. Also, it's possible that the installers for the payware aircraft are installing to the wrong folder, in the install you aren't starting. Being the distrustful sort, I ALWAYS point an autoinstaller at an empty "temp" sort of folder I create just for it to use, then move what it puts in there into FSX myself. That way, I KNOW where it's going and just what's going there. Especially if something goes south, and I have uninstall it.
    Now, I can't afford payware, so that may not work with it, but you can try it to see, I guess.
    Just make absolutely sure that where the payware is installed to, is the FSX:SE install you are calling up when you start the sim, I think is the whole point here. I suspect the FSX you are starting is somehow the FSX you aren't pointing the autoinstallers to.

Pat☺

Thanks Pat,

I have been at it most of day. I will go through your suggestions, probably tomorrow afternoon, and report back. NC

Members who have read this thread: 0