Mosquito B IX

Thread: Mosquito B IX

Mosquito B IX

I'm reading "The RAF Pathfinders: Bomber Command’s Elite Squadron" (should be called Elite Group) and looking at the LNSF. The Moqsuito B IX (as 'F' for Freddie was). I have looked through all my variants of Mossies from many different CFS3 generations and add ons, but don't seem to see any B IXs.

"B Mk IX (54 built) was powered by the Merlin 72,73, 76 or 77. The two-stage Merlin variant was based on the PR.IX. The prototype DK 324 was converted from a PR.VIII and first flew on 24 March 1943.[130] In October 1943 it was decided that all B Mk IVs and all B Mk IXs then in service would be converted to carry the 4,000 pounds (1,800 kg) "Cookie", and all B Mk IXs built after that date were designed to allow them to be converted to carry the weapon.[131] The B Mk IX had a maximum speed of 408 mph (657 km/h), an economical cruise speed of 295 mph (475 km/h) at 20,000 ft, and 350 mph (560 km/h) at 30,000 ft,[116] ceiling of 36,000 ft (11,000 m), a range of 2,450 nmi (4,540 km), and a climb rate of 2,850 feet per minute (869 m). The IX could carry a maximum load of 2,000–4,000 lb (910–1,810 kg) of bombs.[112] A Mosquito B Mk IX holds the record for the most combat operations flown by an Allied bomber in the Second World War. LR503, known as "F for Freddie" (from its squadron code letters, GB*F), first served with No. 109 and subsequently, No. 105 RAF squadrons. It flew 213 sorties during the war, only to crash at Calgary airport during the Eighth Victory Loan Bond Drive on 10 May 1945, two days after Victory in Europe Day, killing both the pilot, Flt. Lt. Maurice Briggs, DSO, DFC, DFM and navigator Fl. Off. John Baker, DFC and Bar."

Looking at this it doesn't seem much different from the B IV??

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

this seems to make that clear as opposed to B IV here

I find some labelling on line to be mixed; for instance this

It'll give you all sorts of things, not just MkIXs. You have to know what to look for in order to look for it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

I guess I'll have to m3d all the versions I have to see if any fit the shape!

Probably the best course would be to ask Ted very nicely to modify his MkII/MkXIII...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

You think this will be giving him a hint?? Just add a few more pics of the engines! BTW I checked all Mossies I have inc Abacus Mosquito Combat and no joy.

One can but hope... Asking him directly might work, too, though...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

I am thinking he is still working on the Beaufighter NF.

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar

Icon5

'though I've already acquired them, where are the TOW Mossies for downloading now? Are these from Dangerous Dave?
    ...and is there any way to remove that hideous co-pilot without performing major surgery?
    BTW, these are some really beautiful aircraft ...inside and out!

Thanks in advance and
    cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0