OT: Windows Update

Thread: OT: Windows Update

Hybrid View

OT: Windows Update

A lot of people are reporting issues with Windows Update just lately, so I though that this might be of interest.

Dave

Shall have a look....
    Currently rebirthing a Win7 laptop that's last update was 2012.....[long story].
    Updating just sits there looking moronic....even 12 hours saw nothing....so am investigating 'solutions' other than PC homicide ...

Same here, did a fresh OEM install and it updated twice in December, with just two unneeded entries for 'Defender'.
    Now I just ignore the bloody thing!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Check Here:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...t-Update-Snafu

Basically Tom and I both ended up contacting MS Tech Support using their online chat. The problem was fixed on the same session. Excellent service. I can almost guarantee that you won't get it corrected on your own. They said there were corrupted Windows Update files. . .nothing I would have found or been able to correct on my own.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I hate MS,
    When it updated, it loaded a completely new copy of windows. Didn't lose my data, but every thing on my original desktop screen is gone and now in a file.

bring back win 7

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    I hate MS,
    When it updated, it loaded a completely new copy of windows. Didn't lose my data, but every thing on my original desktop screen is gone and now in a file.
    bring back win 7
    I assume you're talking about Win10. I installed it when it first came available (basically as an early release) and messed with it for several weeks before I'd had enough. I'm not a tweaker per se, especially not with any OS. If it doesn't work out of the box. . .it's gone. I eventually did a "roll-back" to Win7 and been very happy with it. Unless I get rich at some point and buy a brand new system that has Win10 already on it. . .I have no desire to go through that grief again.

Having said that. . .the service I got from the Techies was great. They logged into my PC, did what was necessary to fix the problem (about 20 minutes total) and signed off once we were sure everything was in order.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Members who have read this thread: 0