DOSBox and DOSMdlc users?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOSBox and DOSMdlc users?

DOSBox and DOSMdlc users?

I know there are vary few people out there making or converting aircraft. I'm wondering if any hone has made use of DOSBox and DOSMdlc I uploaded to do any conversions?
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

many thanks

Yes, I did a couple of conversions using it, mainly to check everything worked.

But I also have an offline box running XP, just in case, & find swapping to use that instead is less clunky than learning to use the DOS commands again.

I guess once that hardware fails, I'll be back using Dosbox & DOSmdlc more frequently...

Not at the moment but I plan to in future, so thank you in advance.

Jamie

Yes I know the DOS commands is a pain. Working on some way to skip that. It is taking time to get the oddies of DOSbox. Right now I have things down to 2 short cuts. One will convert the model from FS04 or FS02 to CFS2 and the other will do the animation fix.

I tried to make it all in one short cut but DOSBox is kicking an Runtime error when trying to do the animation fix.

Allen,

Have you tried to run your bat files with dosbox? your should be able to direct the command prompts from dosbox. I haven't tried it myself yet. Though I have used doxbox to run some older programs. You can set the prompt to open for each one with separate commands.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

DOSBox and .bat files are vary miss. I tried that when I tried to make MDLC work with DOSBox but failed at each try. DOSbox can lunch the .bat files but the .bat files are being ran out side of DOSBox so things fail.

Did some digging and found that I can have a shortcut run DOSbox and a load a DOSbox configuration file. The DOSbox config file is set up to act like a .bat file so things are pretty much click and wait.

Things are working for what I'm calling DOSMdlc 2.0 but one update of DOSBox will break things. Since DOSBox is using GNU General Public License I think I should be able to include DOSBox with credit and be fine.

Thats basically what I did for each program. You set them like you would for a new CFS2 link. when they open the they run the set commands and run the program. you may be able to have it run the .bat commands and bypass the bat altogether. let me know if you need a hand.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

Well I have beat my brain over and over and I think I have DOSMdlc 2.0 all but ready. Things seem complex but should be easy. It includes DOSBox so no need to install any thing elase. I'll attach it. Could use a test or two by some one else!

The quick install instructions are

1. Copy the DOSMdlc 2.0 folder from the .zip and paste it into your main C: drive.

2. Enter the DOSMdlc 2.0 folder and read the Tutorial_Quick.txt.

Any one give it a try?

works like a charm!

Allen
    Awes job on this. I tried it yesterday on Scrubbys latest Seafire XV release (the Aeronavale one). I works like a charm, excellent clear instructions, just drag + drop over each bat file + you're done.

Really well done with this...

WIN7 OS

Works for Ships

Hi Allen
    Just tested the, DOSBox MDLC Command Line.bat to convert GMax Ship models to CFS2 models.
    It worked well. Just went through the GMax.mdl - md8 - md2 -CFS2.mdl routine.
    Well done
    Cheers
    Stuart

UncleTgt
    No need to drop and drag. Just double click on the bat files and they will find the right file.

stuart277
    You can put you ship in the DOSMdlc 2.0 folder as Z.mdl and run the DOSBox FS04 or FS02 to CFS2.bat. When the DOSBox FS04 or FS02 to CFS2.bat is done take and rename the Z.MD2 as neeeded.

what system are you running this on, Stuart, UT? Is it Win 7 or 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    WIN 7 Home Premium for for John.

No issues, noobs might be spooked by how slow down processing takes, but it's old software, you just need to be patient...

In the DOS window you will see a blinking "_" and the blinking "_" means MDLC is working.

The Animation Fix part can take a good bit of time so just wait things out.

I did find a vary unwelcome error in the DOSBox Master.bat (its broken but I will fix it). For those wondering what each Batch file (.bat) dose you can find that in the Tutorial (.doc, .htm or .pdf)

Would/could this work on models that don't convert successfully using Ivan Hsu's MDLC program? I have several models that I would love to convert but have not had any success using MDLC. My skills are very limited however.

msfossey

Just for information. All the models in my new uploaded FAA package are converted from FS9/FSX using DosBox and MDLC. The same goes for a lot of aircrafts on my Google Drive homesite.

Morton

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Hi John
    Windows 10 64 bit.
    Cheers
    Stuart

msfossey
    It is still Ivan Hsu's MDLC.exe When you tired to convert did you do the conversion with Mk MDLC? Mk MDLC is the nice push button program?

Morton
    DOSMdlc 2.0 should make things much easier.

Hi Allen,

Yes I used Mk MDLC. On many models I have had sucess; but there are some models I wish to convert and am unable to. I must admit that my own skills are very limited. On example is the Sky Unlimited P-38 for FS9. I know several have converted this model but I can't simply run it through Mk MDLC and be done with it.

Please understand I am not complaining in anyway. I am greatful to everyone for their efforts and I have recieved much help over the years here. I was just curious about your work and will give it a try.

Thanks,
    msfossey

msfossey
    I have used Mk MDLC too and it works 99.9% of the time but there are times that it seems to fail. When this happens I have used MDLC by it self using old school Command line.

If your using Mk MDLC you must be using XP or Vista. What I want you to do is download the DOSMdlc 2.0 I attached.

1. Copy the DOSMdlc 2.0 folder from the .zip and paste it into your main C: drive.

2. Download the MDLC_Master_bat.zip (I'm attaching) and copy the MDLC Master.bat and paste it into the DOSMdlc 2.0 folder.

3. Take the model you wish to convert and name it Z.mdl.

4. Run the MDLC.Master.bat.

Let me know if this works.

Attachment 46285

Really appreciate the help Allen. I am out of the house this weekend for my boys baseball tournament. I will try out your program as soon as I can and get back to you.

Thanks again,

msfossey

Hi Allen,

I have been working with the combiantion of DOSBox and DOSMdlc that you have suggested for the past week. It is very easy to use and I will keep using it moving forward. However, I am not able to convert mdl files from some of the more complex models. One example would be the Sky Unlimited P-38F. Please don't think I am complaining. I enjoy the use of your DOSBox program and it does make the process much more simple for me.

Thank you for your time and helping me with this; and all your efforts her at the SOH,

msfossey

DOSMdlc is just a collection tools already out. Just trying to assemble them in one user friendly pack. The models you are not able to convert may be FSDS3. Any FSDS3 models looks to be a long shot.

Thread from 2009.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...p/t-19214.html

Allen, thanks for a neat little tool...

Still messing with a conversion of Scrubby's latest Seafire XV

Members who have read this thread: 0