Question re: sound devices on this computer

Thread: Question re: sound devices on this computer

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Question re: sound devices on this computer

About 6 weeks ago my machine had its display go haywire and it was traced to a worn-out video card. It was replaced and I now have an AMD Radeon R9 380 Series card. Also, a new power supply.

While flying the WOP3 P-51 from Phoenix Deer Valley Apt to the Four Corners area this evening, I experienced the old bugbear of the display freezing although the sound continues to play as usual. I was looking through my Device Manager and noted under "Sound, video and game controllers" I have two audio devices listed - one is "AMD High Definition Audio Device," and the other is "Realtek High Definition Audio." Double-clicking on each one shows the device to be working properly. Should I be running both of these at the same time? Can there be mutual interference between the two?

My system: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor 3.00GHz, 12.0 GB RAM, 64-bit OS, running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1

Pretty much answered with....no....and...yes...

Hi SSI,
    I don't believe that's causing your problem. I believe that the AMD reference is for the card's HDMI output. In addition to the same 2 references that you have I have a 3rd which is is for a USB speaker that I use for FSX voice.

Jim F.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sound.JPG  

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    That's pretty much the way my device manager reads except for the FM 1083 shown on your reply.

What's the next step, if anything?

Desktop image of device manager attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails desktop.jpg  

You need to edit devices to make the realtek the default sound device, that should sort it.

Ttfn

Pete

Hey SSI,
    It seems that the problem is video related, not with the sound. Any other clues? Other problems?
    Jim F.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for those replies. I would think the audio associated with the AMD device would be the one to retain.

I'm going to take a few more of those particular P-51s into the air again, and see if they are the ones that trigger this problem. There is also the possibility of some instability on the part of the sim itself. Here's what I mean - I have bought and installed Lionheart's Fairchild series of aircraft. They were installed in EXACT accordance with instructions. Some time passed, perhaps a month. Two days ago I was scanning the aircraft available for flight in the drop-down menu and noted none of those particular Fairchild variants appeared under the "Fairchild" category when I clicked on it in the drop-down (i.e., Fairchild-Swearingen aircraft appear, C-82 and C-119 also - but no 24R/24W variants). Upon checking the "Airplanes" folder in the sim, I found the folder for every single one of those aircraft properly installed, and the contents as they should be. For some reason, the sim just decided not to read that entry. I reinstalled the aircraft and everything is operating fine, now. Maybe the problem with this situation lies in reinstalling those P-51s as well.

At any rate, I'll take a few of them up - RW activities permitting - and see what happens. Stand by, this make take a few days.

The problem you describe with aircraft not showing in the 'Select Aircraft' menu could be put down to a shortage of memory (regardless of how much you have installed) and how FSX is closing down. I see the same thing if I'm zipping in and out of FSX while working on a paint.. especially if I have PSE open. There should be no need to re-install the aircraft. Just give your rig time to 'let go' (you can check in Resource manager) then try again.

Re the sound.. I have the mobo chipset as the default sound device on my rig (Realtek).. not the Nvidia HD sound.
    ATB
    DaveB

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Just wanted to post again to this thread to let everyone know the issue has not surfaced in a while.

Today I had to go to Jacksonville. At about 1030, launched a CS C-130 Xperience bird out of NAS Jax on an overwater flight, full tanks - got it up to 5500 Ft AGL and headed east. Came back at about 750PM, sim still operating, bird in flight, no display problems.

I figure letting the sim "back off" after using it was part of the fix; however, I've also noted periodic very, very quick and bright "flashes" across the display regardless of the terrain being flown over - the sim never stops, or even hangs up, I just get the bright flashes now and then. This occurs more in FSX than in any FS9 iteration.

What may have also helped with this is installing and configuring "Razer Cortex" to support the sims by freeing up space on the machine while the sim is running. Since installing this program I have never had a hung-up flight in ANY of the sims, FS9 or FSX.

Members who have read this thread: 0